Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

What made you decide?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2005 | 10:07 PM

Yeah I wanted the STi for 3 years before the WRX came out so when the STi came over, I knew I had to have it. But, I still have love and respect for Evos. Kind of funny how you guys got d*cked over by Suby and I got d*cked by Mitsu and a lot of people in the area have Evos, but not too many STis. 44K though? Wow, I thought the asking price of 39K for a MR was crazy. I must agree, I'm a pretty small guy (5'6" 145 lbs) and I just wiggle too much in the STi seats. The Evo Recaros support me a lot better. The only thing I think the STi will always beat the Evo in is the exhaust note. No 4 cylinder engine comes even comes close when it comes to the boxer rumble. I put on my STi Genome catback last week and I LOVE IT!

Last edited by EarlQHan; Nov 15, 2005 at 10:21 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2005 | 10:26 PM
Evolving Member

Went to pick up some parts for my eclipse at the dealership and as I was walking out of my eclipse towards the doors there was a silver Evo staring right at me, like it was smiling at me. The front of the Evo was just sexy. I ended up taking it for a test drive...I have that car now. Didn't take much for me.
Old Nov 15, 2005 | 10:30 PM
Evolving Member

Well, I haven't bought mine yet, but I'll tell you what got me started anyways. I was going to get a 3rd gen RX-7 at first. I love those cars and the way that they look. But, they are rwd and 10 years old. I wanted a car which I could feel safe in driving 10 hours home in the winter (go to school in Oregon). Also, rotary + 10 years old doesn't make for a very reliable car. So a newer car and something with AWD (4 doors doesn't hurt either). I knew about Evos/STis before, but I didn't know that they were in my price range used. So I found that out and was hooked. I originally liked the Evo more because of looks and I don't see many where I live, but I see many STi. I did my fair share of research, and still picked the Evo after disregarding looks. There are a lot of things that make me like the Evo, but from what I hear, I like the feel of driving and handling compared to STi. When I come home for Thanksgiving, I'm going to the dealer and test driving both. Also, I would prefer an used 05 Evo to anything, and I might go with an STi if forced to get an 03. It mostly depends on the deals I could find. I saw an 05 STi go for 25K with only 5k on the clock right next to my home. Anyways, I would be happy with both, but what I want is an Evo.
Old Nov 15, 2005 | 11:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I decided to buy an STi because my local Mitsubishi dealer was like talking to a brick wall...I would have been happy with either car at a fair price...Subaru came through for me
Old Nov 16, 2005 | 04:54 AM
Evolving Member

My best friend drove a wrx. He traded it in for an STI. I had an Evo VIII within a month and never looked back. I love it. We are roomates to it's always cool to look outside and see an Evo, STi, and LGT (other roomates car).
Old Nov 16, 2005 | 01:00 PM

Mmm... LGT, the old man has one. AWESOME daily driver! That would be cool to see an Evo and STi outside everyday though.
Old Nov 16, 2005 | 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

The mystique surrounding the Evo is what did it for me, inititally. I'd heard and read so much about it. On top of that, it is a rare car that gets a lot of attention. So I wanted one before I even got to drive one. Once I took one for a test drive, I was utterly hooked (and still am). I've never looked back.
Old Nov 16, 2005 | 01:17 PM

When I was a kid they actually used to show highlights from WRC events on broadcast TV. I think it might've been Wide World of Sports. I just remember having vivid memories of the Renault R5, and lusting for that car at a young age. I thought rally was the coolest thing ever.

Fast forward quite a few years and I'm driving a VR6 Jetta which is a nice car but not much of a performer. I was watching some car show on PBS, and they did a short bit on the Evo which I didn't even know existed. The guy got out of the car and he was wild-eyed exclaiming how the Evo was the closest thing to a race car you could buy and how it was seriously fast. I about had a heart attack knowing you could get a rally car for the streets. I went to the Mitsubishi dealer the next day (which happened to be the VW dealer I bought the Jetta from) and put down $500 on the next Evo they were to get, sight-unseen.

I still remember when they called me to tell me my Evo was in and "Would you like to come down and have a look at it?" "Hell yeah!" That was the first time I had ever layed eyes on an Evo in person and it was instant love. I traded in the Jetta the next day and never looked back. Now I've had the car for 2.5 years, and I still enjoy it as much as the day I got it. Now I just need a used Renault R5 and I will be set.
Old Nov 16, 2005 | 01:17 PM

when i saw TOMMI in his IV i was hooked. I hope some day to have a IV , it would go nice with my VIII

Last edited by Ranskaa; Nov 16, 2005 at 01:25 PM.
Old Nov 16, 2005 | 01:18 PM
Evolving Member

Wartalon commanded me to get one... and i obeyed
Old Nov 16, 2005 | 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jjm4life
originally i really wanted a white sti but after test driving the evo i fell in love. i just felt at home in the evo vs. the sti

pretty much exactly how i felt

what's funny is i intended to get an SRT-4 initially but happened to test drive the STi and Evo for the hell of it. The financing came through and I left happy
Old Nov 16, 2005 | 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Well I am not rich enough to afford a two-seat sports car and a daily driver so the all wheel drive and four doors sold me on the STi or EVO, but I went with the EVO for a few reasons. 1) It looks better. 2)It handles better. 3)The 4G63 has been in production forever and the formulas for reliable power are known whereas in the summer of '04 the EJ25 was still a relatively new platform that had yet to be proven (in turbo form at least). 4)I learned to drive stick on my freind's STi and then 2 weeks later bought an EVO......it just felt better.
Old Nov 16, 2005 | 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EarlQHan
So what made you decide to get an Evo or when did you know it was a keeper? Sorry for such a generic question, I'm sure it has been covered many times, but I searched and didn't yield any results. So was it the styling, the specs, someone taking you for a ride? What other cars were you looking at the time you went to buy it?

I bought my STi because my family has had a few Subarus, I even learned to drive on one. So naturally I wanted a STi, and which is why I have the ever-so popular blue on gold (although I think white on gold would have been a better choice). After researching the two more extensively, I knew the STi wasn't as "mod-friendly", but I wasn't looking to turn it into a track car. I wanted a daily driven weekend warrior, and the STi is a little softer, has cruise control (although no sunroof) and interior has a better fit and finish. Some more reasons I went with the Suby: it's just as fun as the Evo, I knew too many Evo owners, but no STi owners, and Subaru is known for their safety and reliability. :RANT: Also, the salesman at the Mitsubishi dealership I went to probably thought I was joking about buying a new car, so he blew me off. I had to wait 30 minutes just to get someone to talk to me and after an hour and a half of waiting for a test drive, I said "F IT" and left. :END RANT: That really spoiled my shopping experience. But I have driven a few Evos, but still have yet to drive a stock one.

But, I know the Evo is a better starting point for a track car, so I want to buy a used RS sometime in the future. So that's why I'm here, to learn from the gurus and learn as much as I can about the car.

Like you I had a STI before the EVO. What sold me on trading in the STI for the EVO was the on ramp on the test drive. It literally took 15 seconds of driving to convince me of my "mistake" and I drove home with the EVO.

What convinced me to keep it, was the performance when autocrossing. The EVO is a better autocross car than the STI, IMHO....
Old Nov 16, 2005 | 01:50 PM
Evolving Member

I owned a Honda S2000 and was completely happy till one day my buddy blew my doors off at the track in the quarter mile. Itching for payback I challenged him to a race on a road course once again he beat me, bad. I am a much more polished driver then him so it drove me insane. I raced him again but this time switching cars and I quickly realized it wasn't a lack of skill but a lack of tools. I traded the car in for my Rally Red dream car a week later. Oh and by the way I had loved the Evo platform since the first time I saw a VI TME when I was in High School.
Old Nov 16, 2005 | 02:07 PM

6 months of research and 1 test drive

Quick Reply: What made you decide?