Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

De-Winging Da evo8

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2003, 01:31 PM
choad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The trunklid white doesn't match..unless it is an optical delusion..
Did you shoot it?? (repaint it)
Old Jun 25, 2003, 01:35 PM
Evolved Member

Yes the trunk Lid is off a little , it needs to be feathered in with the rear quarters. But it isnt btoo bad.

Continue your bashing M3!!!!!!!!!!
Old Jun 25, 2003, 02:21 PM

Some people have to chill out on this board, man. Personally, I think the car looks good both with and without the wing, it just depends what look your going for. When I get an evo after Im done with School of Infantry, im taking off the wing, too.... cept im going to put on an evo vii wing on it, I just like the way it looks better. Everyone has their own ideas of what a car should look like.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 02:53 PM
Evolved Member

M3lachsilber,

I'm not doing something that can't be undone with ease or will affect resale and collective qualities. If I get the car with the big wing i'm simply going to bolt another deck without it and put the winged deck in storage. Whenever I need it for the track or for sale it can simply be bolted back on in minutes. You're bursting a vain over something you have no control of, me.

Last edited by n00dle; Jun 25, 2003 at 03:01 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 03:55 PM
Evolving Member

I like it with out the wing. Im 18 and I think it has a cleaner look to it. Good Job.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 06:46 PM
choad

The trunklid white doesn't match..unless it is an optical delusion..

Spotted it, didn't I..Yet another reason why removing it isn't such a hot idea..White is TOUGH to match due to sun fade..Red is worse.. Especially surface paint on the trunk, when trying to blend with the SIDE panels

NOT trying to bash guys, just coming up with REALLY GOOD points as to why the wing works and should stay on the car...That's all..
Yes I feel it should stay, but really don't flatter yourselves...
The DORKIER yours looks, the BETTER mine looks..

And control you n00dle? Please...Your obviously OUT OF CONTROL.. Too big of a challenge for me...

Points and comments about the removal..

Big wing, small wing. Who cares. I am nearly 40 and the big wing looks great - this is a street rally car, not a friggin camry.
Had my wing off and decided to put it back on. Actually I don't find the car draws much attention in Calif. as there are so many eye catching other cars around where I live.
This is my own opinion...nothing aimed at you gtr....this is just something i wanted to say.... I think the evo has a certain expected look about it. People who know about the evo expect to see the big wing and are accustomed to seeing it with the large wing. Despite how tacky it may look to some people, I actually think it's more tacky to take off the wing and drive wingless or with a smaller one. If I saw an evo and it had no wing I would be floored. Ever see those integras with the plastic hubcaps taken off and the wheels are all black? That's what I am reminded of when I think about it. Super tacky. The Evo has an established image and the big wing is definately one of the biggest parts of it. I really think if you bought this car you should be ready for the image it's going to portray until it gets more situated in the US market. As Claudius (i think it was him) said in another thread. In europe, the evo is an everyday car and no one is amazed to see one. It's just another thing to get you from point A to point B. I dont mind the look of the large wing. I want people to know I have and evo.....i'm freaking 30 grand in debt becaue of it and I want you to know that it's not some ordinary car!!
You are kidding right!!! What good did you find when you removed it aside from ruining your paint. You spend all that money on a pupose built car and you yank the badges off of it. That makes a lot of sense. That's like buying a Ferrari and taking the prancing horse off. It's your car do what you want, but I think you're basically destroying a fine car that IMO looks better than 90% of the crap out there.
My skin crawls everytime I read that. Nothing will get me to pry something OEM off my brand new evo. Especially a large wing! WD-40 on the paint? Scraping off the adhesive? Yikes!
I'm totally in agreement with you! Good grief guys, who cares what anybody thinks? I'm pushing 60 and I'm keeping my freaking big wing Hell, that's a big part of the car's image. I guess driving slowly wont hurt me either. I have too many tickets already
evo - spoiler = gay gay gay
Why in gods name would you change that spioler,that what makes the car what it is and sets it aside from the croud.
Okay...
I'm done...I was just trying to explain my opinion by being objective and supportive of my rants, with LOGICAL and BASIC reasoning and I certainly appreciate the fact that it is your car..
No intention of offending...really...

I feel that this is a GREAT topic of discussion..
Do'nt bust a vain yourself, I just post with passion.
Believe me, my blood pressure is normal.....
I just have a strong heartbeat!!

I still think it looks weird though.......

Last edited by M3lachsilber; Jun 25, 2003 at 06:53 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 06:55 PM
Evolved Member

... ...
Old Jun 26, 2003, 03:55 AM
Evolved Member

As soon as I find a wingless trunk lid at a junkyard, and find a cheap body shop to paint it, a silver EVO will join the no-wing family.

I don't care that it looks "gay" to you (although I am not gay), I don't care that I'm defacing your precious (well, actually it is mine)EVO, I don't care that I'm taking off OEM parts, I don't care about less downforce at over 90mph, I don't care about resale value and I don't care what others think. Having said that, the wing is not for sale, so don't bother asking.

The point is: I like it wingless, I like the way it looks, I like the increased vision, and I like the decreased "loudness" factor. People who know that it is an EVO, will still know it is an EVO. For all the others that don't know what the EVO is now, should not have the privalge of knowing it and identifying it soley based on the wing.

So, how many more pages of this "I hate it" vs "I like it" redundant posts can we come up with? I don't think anyone will change their mind, you either like or don't like it. The fact is, that it is still an EVO.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 05:26 AM
choad

xtinct.....

Amen, brother..

This thread is 10 pages of intelligent discussions on why the wing, should or shouldn't stay on the EVO..

You are stating something REDUNDANT when saying:

I don't care that it looks "gay" to you (although I am not gay), I don't care that I'm defacing your precious (well, actually it is mine)EVO, I don't care that I'm taking off OEM parts, I don't care about less downforce at over 90mph, I don't care about resale value and I don't care what others think.
Of course it is YOUR personal preference...
Nobody is trying to convince anyone to keep it on, that's for sure..
Just stating our personal opinions on the topic!!

Take it off, dude!! God bless you!! Enjoy your wingless EVO!!
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Cant wait till you see my trailer hitch and bike rack on my evo M3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hope your sitting down

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Old Jun 26, 2003, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

Speaking of bike racks... I already had to resort to puttin on one of those cheap trunk bike racks on the evo and carried 2 bikes on it. I forgot to take a picture. It seemed to work ok, no damage or scratches but it was a tight fit. The problem was that the bike handlebars end up being at the same level as the CF wing, so I was scared of the handle bars scratching/chipping and hitting the wing. I ended up turning the handlebar and jamming the tire against the bumper so the handlebars do not hit the wing.

Should not be a problem when the wing is gone (yet another reason for no wing option). So, the person who is doing the hitch-based bike rack, make sure you make it height adjustable as you will need to set it so the bars fit between the trunk lid and the wing (or above it).
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:00 AM
Evolved Member

xtnct do a search for my evo plus a moutian bike thread.

Its all there, hitch , rack and all
Old Jun 26, 2003, 10:46 AM
choad

No, I won't **** unless you start AUTOCROSSING with the bike rack and hitch attachement on!!

Then I will be forced to pay you a visit for sure, with a doctor to take your TEMPERATURE!!
Old Jun 26, 2003, 12:30 PM

M3lachsilber,
The engine hanging over the rear wheels is my spoiler! Seriously though, just wanted to answer your questions regarding the 996's spoiler. I can't take the spoiler off beause it is an integrated mechanical feature that deploys based on the car's speed. The spoiler is not always raised and when it is raised the height is based on the car's speed. My friend drives a 911 without any spoiler and we have had this discussion many times and he reports zero problems. I have tried to follow this guy through canyon roads before and can say that he drives it like he stole it.
Old Jun 26, 2003, 06:28 PM
choad

Thanks for the explanation on the 993/996 Spoiler operation...
I am well aware of its functions..

I tell you what, the older 911's in my opinion DO look MUCH better WITHOUT the whale tail...

How's that for a contradiction!!

Quick Reply: De-Winging Da evo8