Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

De-Winging Da evo8

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2003, 05:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When the Ralliart Lancer comes out, I wonder if you could use that spoiler?
Old Mar 18, 2003, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Anybody know if there are any aftermarket EVO VII trunks (non-drilled of course) that will fit on the Evo VIII? The wing was great for a while, but I'm tired of my car being compared to the BatMobile. Not to mention the looks the cops have been giving me. Let's face it, I can do 65 with a cop right behind me, but I didn't buy the car to constantly run at the speed limit.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 06:59 PM
Evolving Member

Exactly, just get a carbon fiber trunk.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 07:20 PM

This looks like a good topic for a howto.

In this thread, Tuner takes off the wing and finds some double sided tape under it.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Big wing, small wing. Who cares. I am nearly 40 and the big wing looks great - this is a street rally car, not a friggin camry.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 08:23 PM
Evolved Member

dont get the lancer does share the same styling as the evo but...the doors alone has 200+ more welds on an evo then a regular lancer...my point being if you use the trunk of a lancer you might lose the structural strength on the trunk area of your car...but if you rather go with a cheaper solution yoru more then welcome to do so...

another solution would be to just take the wing off and get some ruber plugs from your local pep boys or home depot and plug up the holes so water wont leak in...suyfer girl did this to her car.

you can also buy a stock OZ lancer wing and swap it and sell your evo8 wing on the board.

good luck.

i took the wing off my car and i think it looks damn nice...especially with the trunk all clean with no badging.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 09:42 PM
choad

Not to sound argumentative, but I agree with RallyBrit..

This is a "Factory Built Homologated Rally Car"...leave it alone or go invest in a car where you can blend in with the rest of the "masses" .

The word used to describe the type of car person this car, and other "homologated" or street legal race cars would appeal to:

Zealot

\Zeal"ot\, n. [F. z['e]lote, L. zelotes, Gr. ?. See Zeal.] One who is zealous; one who engages warmly in any cause, and pursues his object with earnestness and ardor; especially, one who is overzealous, or carried away by his zeal; one absorbed in devotion to anything; an enthusiast; a fanatical partisan.

You are either "in" or "out"... You should have figured it out a long time ago... and now your going to remove the spoiler that held up our cars for two more weeks . (I'll be upset if YOUR car's spoiler was the one that was giving them so much trouble at the factory...cost me two weeks of sleep WAITING...and your talking about removing it??!! I'm getting incensed..)

I can just imagine if I was worried about what people thought of me when I had my E30 M3, and it's big spoiler and box flares, and general "boy-racer" appearence...(I could care less, those in the know...KNOW!) REMOVE the exact things that make it ABLE to compete as a REAL RACE CAR??! Fricken HOGWASH....

BTW..The thought never crossed my mind to remove the spoiler on that car, and I certainly woudn't remove it on the EVO.

It's like marrying a Miss America with NICE BIG HOOTERS and wanting her to get a BREAST REDUCTION after you get hitched because of PUBLIC OPINION and the general GAWKING at her *****..

Go out and get a fishing pole.....
Go to your favorite watering hole....
Catch a HUGE fish..

Mount THAT in yer fricken den.

Sorry...I had to rant..I really disagree with the spoiler removal IMO I think I am making sense here, based on this car's heritage...
Old Mar 18, 2003, 10:24 PM
Evolving Member

Had my wing off and decided to put it back on. Actually I don't find the car draws much attention in Calif. as there are so many eye catching other cars around where I live.

No that I am used to it I think it will stay on. Several "older"friends have said its looks good and is part of the car so leave it on.

BTW as I posted before, once you take off the bolts you will find it is really stuck on. I didn't try it but someone suggested a hair dryer to heat things up to get it unstuck. And once it is off you have 7 holes, not 4. One extra for alignment pin on each side and a big one on the right which is probably for 3rd taillight for small spoiler option.

Also BTW, if you put the small spoiler on a large spoiler car you will end up with 2 3rd taillights as the large spoiler car has one in front of the back window.

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 01:43 AM
Evolved Member

This is my own opinion...nothing aimed at you gtr....this is just something i wanted to say.... I think the evo has a certain expected look about it. People who know about the evo expect to see the big wing and are accustomed to seeing it with the large wing. Despite how tacky it may look to some people, I actually think it's more tacky to take off the wing and drive wingless or with a smaller one. If I saw an evo and it had no wing I would be floored. Ever see those integras with the plastic hubcaps taken off and the wheels are all black? That's what I am reminded of when I think about it. Super tacky. The Evo has an established image and the big wing is definately one of the biggest parts of it. I really think if you bought this car you should be ready for the image it's going to portray until it gets more situated in the US market. As Claudius (i think it was him) said in another thread. In europe, the evo is an everyday car and no one is amazed to see one. It's just another thing to get you from point A to point B. I dont mind the look of the large wing. I want people to know I have and evo.....i'm freaking 30 grand in debt becaue of it and I want you to know that it's not some ordinary car!!

Rob

Last edited by Coolguy949; Mar 19, 2003 at 01:51 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

Depending on the color of your car, you could easily match the paint on the heads of the stainless screws.

If you go this route, be sure to also put a dab of silicone caulk under the screw head before putting it in place. This will go a long way in keeping the moisture off the unpainted areas, and out of your car.

If you don't like the idea of the screws, try some vinyl tape. It comes in tons of colors. Just cut out a few disks from the roll, and put em over the hole. This will create a smoother look IMHO.

Both are easily removeable if you decide to put the wing back on.

But be aware when removing the wing. It is possibly held in place by the screws you can easily see AND high quality double sided tape.

SC~

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Mar 19, 2003 at 09:47 AM.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 12:22 PM
Evolved Member

Thanks Demo for the link, and Tuner I found out last night everything you had written in your post.

First off i go to take the large hole bolt out , and well I get it out and,,,, clunk it falls off the socket and is now inside the trunk metal!!!! LOLOLO, I was like OOOOO ****-----oooo well. Then I seen that the wing was really held down , it is the same kind of sticky tape that the badges are put together with. And that Lancer badge was really hard to get off, it took alot of presure to pry it off, so I was thinking o **** i bet the whole underside of the wing is all taped on.....NOT GOOD. So I took a break for a while and decided to give it a try,
I put some wd-40 on the underside of the wing to loosen the tape, took the other screws out, this time putting the trunk down so the bolt stays in the socket. Gave it a few tuggs (its really on there) then POP it came off.
I like the looks of it, but the holes ???? one is round , the other is oval, then there is a plastic gromet that plugs into the wing, and a mystery hole the is covered in a 1 in circle of tape.
Ok here are the pictures..........
Do I need to start a new thread to post pictures or what? I dont see any upload/browse tabs here?
Old Mar 19, 2003, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by silvrevo
Oh ya,,,,, the friggin lancer wing IS NOT an option, the first thing I did when I got my car last week was removed the Lancer badge in the back. I even chipped the paint, and i didnt say one curse word when that happened I was just glad to see it removed!
Again, the small Lancer wing is not an option, but thanks for the heads up.

I loved the Big wing for the first few days,,,, but really, I would not mind seeing what it looks like removed and possibly hanging on the wall in my den.

Im thinking the bolts will have some kind of a rubber washer and the head will be a half moon shaped, Ill see how it goes.
You are kidding right!!! What good did you find when you removed it aside from ruining your paint. You spend all that money on a pupose built car and you yank the badges off of it. That makes a lot of sense. That's like buying a Ferrari and taking the prancing horse off. It's your car do what you want, but I think you're basically destroying a fine car that IMO looks better than 90% of the crap out there.

As for the wing why don't you leave it. Without it the car loses it's style and looks like any other import. If that's what you wanted then you shoulda bought that instead of the Evo.
Old Mar 19, 2003, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Then I seen that the wing was really held down , it is the same kind of sticky tape that the badges are put together with. And that Lancer badge was really hard to get off, it took alot of presure to pry it off,
My skin crawls everytime I read that. Nothing will get me to pry something OEM off my brand new evo. Especially a large wing! WD-40 on the paint? Scraping off the adhesive? Yikes!
Old Mar 19, 2003, 01:33 PM
Evolving Member

Easy there - I think that part of the appeal of the EVO has always been (at least for me) the sleeper factor. Let's face it. If we wanted to take full advantage of the car's power, why on earth would we throw it in a 4 door sedan? Practicality is of course one reason, but few people buy a sports car for practicality. The looks on people's face when they see the car's performance is priceless. I agree that the wing adds a certain flair to the car's styling, but in SoCal, every ricer and his gardener has a wing. Removing the wing is a nice way to increase the stealth factor, while retaining most of the performance characteristics.

As far as comparing this to debadging a Ferrari, I think that's an unfair comparison. While the styling of the EVO is certainly edgy, I >personally< would not call it beautiful. Aggresive or attractive, yes, but hardly beautiful. As such, debadging does not equate to defacing IMHO.

That being said, I'm going to probably keep the wing. After reading how difficult it is to remove cleanly, I'll leave well enough alone and focus my efforts elsewhere...

My two cents

Quick Reply: De-Winging Da evo8