Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

De-Winging Da evo8

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2003, 03:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
now that I know how to post....

This is the back 3/4..... the windows are also tinted 30% 3-m.
Other pictures are on my other thread wingless, because I didnt find out til today that you can add more pictures to your post.

Last edited by silvrevo; Jul 22, 2003 at 09:19 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 03:40 PM
Evolved Member

3m tint

its been raining here , and I have holes in my trunk , so the evo hasnt been outside to get a better shot, but here is a decent one.

Last edited by silvrevo; Jul 22, 2003 at 09:20 AM.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 05:00 PM
Evolving Member

hate to say it but it looks like crap without the wing
Old Mar 20, 2003, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

I like it without the wing! I'll be doing the same thing for everyday drving and only put it on when I go to an event.

just need to come up with a solution for the holes....
Old Mar 20, 2003, 10:09 PM
choad

Sorry....

It looks crappy..IMO...

Thanks for taking it off, though. People will see it as a stock or modded base Lancer...

"..Couldn't be an EVO, cuz who would butcher the car by removing one of the very things that sets it apart..."

Makes the car look MORE like a "ricer" work in progress..!
I LOVE the holes in the trunklid, too. Typical backyard "ricer"job..

"Ricers" to me, are the guys that can't leave their cars alone, and need to add all kinds of OR remove stuff to make it more individual. I like the tasteful things, like tint and what not, but De-badging, painting, removal of door handles, SPOILERS, is more ricer than anything..Washers and 3m tape to fill the holes??
Gimme a break..

Oh well, it's not MY car..so whatever, right?

Enjoy your EVO..
Old Mar 21, 2003, 03:21 AM
Evolving Member

i think it looks fine. its his car so he can do whatever he wants. even though i like to see evos with big wings, it doesnt really matter to me to see someone take it off.

oh...and i thought you would have a silver evo like your name suggests.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 06:24 AM
choad

Oh well, it's not MY car..so whatever, right?

Signed,

M3Lachsrouge
Old Mar 21, 2003, 07:46 AM
Evolving Member

Much better. Get rid of the Altezzas and it will be more of a sleeper. A car a grown man can drive to the office and not get laughed at. It's a real improvement and will probably improve your 0 to 60 time.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 08:10 AM
Evolved Member

silvrevo,

For what it's worth (not much probably), but I don't think it looks half bad. I wouldn't want to remove the wing from my car, but to each his own.

Now, go get that white tape so you can go driving in the rain. It'll be a good way to keep the rain out until you give the trunklid to the bodyshop.

SC~
Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:31 AM

Hmm... It does look a little... weird without the wing...
Do you have more pics from different angles?
Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:47 AM
Evolving Member

Hey silvrevo, would you be interested in selling your wing, b/c i need to get a new wing and i might be interested.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

It looks naked!
Old Mar 21, 2003, 11:13 AM
Evolved Member

M3lach, im not sure I understand what your saying? By removing the wing makes it look ricey? Um yaa, thats why every car out there with a huge wing, and extras (sickers,ground effects, ect.) is considered ricey, usually high school type kids. nothing against them, but its not me, back then air shocks and fat tires were the thing. You will understand with age.
Removing the wing dosnt make the car look ricey. As for the holes Im looking at trying to find some rubber grometes, or Ill just take it to the body shop and have them filled.
I think it is really funny to see the posts in here. Some like it, some dont, some think I wrecked the car, and one thinks it makes it look ricey
I personally love it,,,,,,, really guys its just a wing that dosnt have much to do with the cars performance, its just for looks. Unless your racing on a road course. The car has everything else, just not the in your face "look at my wing, this is a race car".
To me its like an S4 (minus $20k). If you get a chance take a look in the latest SCC, or Import Racer, there are many wrx's without wings, highly modded, I dont think they look bad at all without a big-o-wing. Almost like they are grown up/with some class. Now its like a light has hit me, everytime I pick up a car magazine I look to see what cars are wingless. Many are, then I ask myself, geee they are sure missing out tons by not have a big-o-wing out back. LOLOLOL it kind of fun, give it a try.
To each his own, thank goodness. Wouldnt it suck if everyone liked the same thing!
Ill put some pictures up when I find a easy fix, or a complete body fill and paint of the trunk when it gets done.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 11:38 AM
Evolved Member

I think what he means by ricey is:

Have you ever seen lowered integras driving around with unpainted body kits? Or unpainted spoilers? It's that "i'm in the middle of modding my car" look. In my area, sometimes I see cars driving around where parts have been taken out, or side markers installed that dont fit the car, etc. Rice has almost become a "lets chop it up" mentality. M3 is referring to those holes left behind, or adding tape to cover it up. Tape is a little tacky IMO. I can see where someone could say it looks like rice.

To me, some things can look ricey if they have:

- Unpainted body panels
- OEM wheels with plastic covers removed
- Very large spoiler that does fit the car (this is why I think the evo is not ricey- it fits)
- Cars that have been "chopped up" in order to customize
- removing OEM body panels/peices that should be on there and replacing them (z3 fenders, etc)

This is some of the stuff that screams "rice" to me. I live in a hugely ricey area so I see this everyday. I saw a brand new IS300 the other day with an unpainted front end and a huge crack (fiberglass obviously).

I dont think it looks bad at all. Once you get rid of the holes it will look pretty clean IMO. Make sure you take it to a body shop or something so you dont get the holes rusting.

Last edited by Coolguy949; Mar 21, 2003 at 11:43 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 12:01 PM
Evolving Member

silvrevo,
I actually think it looks pretty good on the white one. I would never do it personally b/c I am "not too old." I think the big wing fits the STi and Evo very nicely. I do think though that on the white, black, or possibly silver Evo that removing the wing entirely can be done and look very nice. A WRX is a bit different story since the car's butt needs a wing, even a small one.

One thing though, get the Evo7 tail lights. This will complete the "sleeper" look and will look a ton better w/o the wing.

Quick Reply: De-Winging Da evo8