Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

De-Winging Da evo8

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2003, 04:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok I know these are black, but they work perfect. ill keep my eyes out for white ones. This is a great and easy fix. Also i can put the wing on and off when and if I choose. This might be helpful to others that might want to do the same.
Only one problem with that......you're selling your wing on eBay. Looks like it's going to be permanently off your car and on some 94 civic from now on. I cant believe you actually are selling it on eBay. Sad day.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 04:05 AM

Why don't you just paint those plastic clips?

And did you throw a bucket of water on the trunk and see if it leaks?

Good call on selling the wing. If you need another one 2 years from now you can probably get it real cheap at the junkyard. Sell it while it still worths something
Old Mar 24, 2003, 05:37 AM
Evolved Member

bro ill buy the wing if you sell it for the price of the dealer option i really want it bad im willing ot pay cash maybe even organs/ body parts
Old Mar 24, 2003, 07:22 AM
Evolving Member

Without the wing I feel the front is to aggressive for the rest of the car. I would invest in the evo 7 frontend to make it flow better.

Old Mar 24, 2003, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by silvrevo
Ok I know these are black, but they work perfect. ill keep my eyes out for white ones. This is a great and easy fix. Also i can put the wing on and off when and if I choose. This might be helpful to others that might want to do the same.
Silvrevo, I see you have great taste for choosing WW color on your Evo. Then you have the wing removed, which looks really decent from the additional pics you posted.
If you are certain that you will have no regrets selling off the wing, please have the bodyshop cover up the holes professionally and you have yourself a clean sleeper.
Old Mar 24, 2003, 11:48 AM
Evolved Member

Ya I know im kind of in a pickle, well kind of. If I do have the holes refinished at the body shop, putting the wing on would not be an option.

But I really like the way it looks without the wing. Maybe I just need to get rid of the thing and then I will be more content.

More than likely I will have the holes repaired and painted.

Ill post some pictures then, the body shop im working with does very nice work.
Old Mar 25, 2003, 08:07 AM

Wink

I'm your age so I totally agree when you brought up the fact that this car doesn't need added attention than it's already drawing. Be prepared to answer questions from young men walking up to you... "Yo dude... Nice ride! Where's da CF wing man? What cha do to it"?
Old May 12, 2003, 06:46 PM
Evolving Member

Hmmm...

I like it.

I think...

Wait...

Ummm...

No I don't.

Well, then again...

Old May 12, 2003, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

Did anyone check if the regular lancer trunk lid fits on the Evo? Instead of filling holes and repainting, maybe it will be cheaper getting a lid at a junk yard and just using that instead. May need to repaint as well, but maybe not. And then you can always put the wing back on with the original lid.

Alternatively, are there no body-tuners, that could make a very subtle wing piece that would use the holes from the regular big wing? Kind of a flat spoiler like this one on the Jetta IV:

OR even better:

OR a low spooiler (lower than the lancer spoiler)...Something like this:

Another angle...

Last edited by xtnct; May 12, 2003 at 10:41 PM.
Old May 13, 2003, 07:46 AM
Evolved Member

Your car looks WAY better with no wing! Way less "ricey" for sure. I love the styling of the EVO except for that wing. I think I'm gonna do the same thing but I am going to just buy a base model Lancer deck lid and have it painted. Good job!
Old May 14, 2003, 01:17 PM

I like the way it looks without the wing much better.
Old May 14, 2003, 08:05 PM
jfh
Evolved Member

A direct bolt-on compromise might be the 04 Ralliart Lancer spoiler which has no center support like the OZs do.
Old May 16, 2003, 07:18 PM
Evolving Member

I have no idea what most of the topic is about...

Being an investment banker I admit the wing is a bit tacky but serves a purpose. I do not want some zealot telling me that my comments are out of line and I am not a "true fan", nor do I deserve an EVO. (Tough because delivery is now under 2 weeks).

This car is all about performance and looks good too... It looks very close to a IS300/Altezza from the side or 3/4 rear view... But let's cut to the chase. The carbon fiber wing is an OPTION. I ordered mine without and will get the regular lancer wing instead.. If you read the EVO order/option paperwork it says

1. High wing (carbon fiber)/Low wing
2. Moonroof or none

So stop removing the wing. Just order one without

That is my two cents.
Old May 16, 2003, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

if you sell it to me for a good price ill get you a stock ozrally edition wing at dealer cost!! l let me know
Old May 16, 2003, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

or anything else for that matter!!

Quick Reply: De-Winging Da evo8