Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

De-Winging Da evo8

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2003, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't get me wrong, Im all for a wing "even the stock wing is nice" but I would prefer something a bit more low profile
Old Jun 12, 2003, 05:42 PM
Evolved Member

silverevo

silverevo - I think it looks great. Like Cordwood said - you should get rid of the Altezzas next to make it more of a sleeper. Maybe even paint the intercooler black? (Just a suggestion)

I have a 4 dr Integra that I've turboed and with the exception of of being lowered slightly, you would never know that anything's been done. I run stock 15's, took my Vtec stickers off etc, to make people think its an LS - the list goes on.

There is absolutely nothing like the look on people's faces when you beat them w/ a sleeper. Like the credit card commercial says its "priceless".
Old Jun 12, 2003, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

Re: silverevo

Originally posted by 954DRGSR
Maybe even paint the intercooler black? (Just a suggestion)
Oh man, that was my idea. I got the paint ready. I'm doing this this saturday. I pick up my car Saturday morning (3 miles on it right now) and it is getting an IC paint job once I get home (before any dirt gets in there).

While the paint dries, I will be installing the EVO 7 tails... buh buh ugly Altezzas... Anyone want brand new Alteza's?

Next, I will be painting the hood vent car color. The only problem is that I don't know what to do about the rubber part.. I doubt that paint will stick to it and it may be too dorky to have a black outline... anyone have ideas? What's under the rubber part, maybe I can just remove it and leave it off.

Now for the wing. I want to keep the wing for track use, but take it off for street use. Plugging the holes is not an option. So I must get a new trunk lid. Can anyone confirm if the regular lancer lid fits on the EVO... please... I want to pick one up at a junk yard, but don't want to pay for one if it will not fit. Someone, please check part numbers or something... If I had access to a regular lancer here, I'd just try the swap on my car and tell everyone.

Again, don't flame for my personal prefs, Its still an EVO and it will be driven like an EVO, you'll see soon enough.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 07:10 PM
Evolved Member

Careful painting the intercooler, too heavy a layer and you will kill cooling... paint makes a nice insulator.
Old Jun 12, 2003, 07:19 PM
STC

post a pic w/ the holes filled.
Old Jun 14, 2003, 01:35 PM

That looks surprisingly nice.
Old Jun 22, 2003, 09:14 PM

Silvrevo,
Great looking deck lid! I am looking hard at the Evo as a daily driver and I want to keep it lo profile. I don't need my car to tell the world "I LIKE TO DRIVE FAST!"
The less I am noticed the better....I want my car to be a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 08:00 AM
Evolved Member

cwebb,,, if your going to do this the wing removal, I would I would have spent the extra $$$$ and got a new trunk lid, left the wing on the evo trunk, and stored the trunk somewhere. Since u own a 996 I think you should be able to swing that. Or I might trade you cars if yours is a c4.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 08:38 AM

silvrevo,
Thanks for the idea. I can only imagine what an OEM trunk will run if the spoiler is $1200. CF trunk complete with painting may work out to be very close in cost. Despite the 996, I am not rich. It actually belongs to my wife!
Old Jun 23, 2003, 09:14 AM

I personally do not give a flying F*** what people think of what my car looks like and frankly do not understand what your age has to do with anything, unless you're paranoid.

I did not buy it to impress anyone but me.
Wing or no wing I really don't care what you do to YOUR car as long as it makes YOU happy.

However, I do care about money. I believe the wing will result in higher resale.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 09:20 AM
Evolving Member

According to Motor Trend, the EVO shares the trunk with the Lancer. The swap is a great idea for anyone over the age of 30 driving this car or for those who know that driving a sleeper is much more fun. No question that it looks better without it.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

Some comments to various opinions/questions:

I Already checked into it. A new trunk with no wing, no badges, no key tumblers, no lock is about $400 from the dealer and then you have to go get it painted.

I don't know about motortrend, but I actually proved that the regular lancer trunk fits on the EVO by doing the swap. I even took pics for you all. Do a simple search on this forum.

Age has everything to with it. The majority (read majority, not everyone) of over 30ish people simply do not like the pre-20ish flovor. I was under 20 before. The wing, the clear tail lights, superwide rims and slammed suspension was my number one goal in life. However, taste changes with time. I now thank myself for being to poor to destroy a car (that I still have btw) with body kits and such. Like like some choose to add decles and stuff to their cars, we prefer a sleeper look. This does not make you or I better, we just have different tastes. There is no need to diss other people here, we all bought the car for the same reason: performance.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:14 AM

xtnct,
Thanks for the price info. Wow the OEM trunk is not as expensive as I thought!
Old Jun 23, 2003, 10:46 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by Cordwood
According to Motor Trend, the EVO shares the trunk with the Lancer. The swap is a great idea for anyone over the age of 30 driving this car or for those who know that driving a sleeper is much more fun. No question that it looks better without it.
unless you are under 30...sorry love it, hate the taillights though

-Shahul
Old Jun 23, 2003, 01:55 PM

Since we are on the topic, how much of a role does the spoiler play in the car's overall performance?

Quick Reply: De-Winging Da evo8