Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

De-Winging Da evo8

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2003, 02:08 PM
choad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cwebb..
How fast to you drive???

Downforce at speed, heritage of the vehicle, time it took to engineer / uniqueness of the spoiler, should all be considered BEFORE hacking the some***** off...
IMHO
Old Jun 23, 2003, 02:27 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by cwebb
Since we are on the topic, how much of a role does the spoiler play in the car's overall performance?
Read page 4 of the EVO press information and you will see that the wing, the front end and the hood vent all play a important part of the performance of the EVO. Mitsubishi did not design those pieces just for looks.

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.jp/PDF-E/evo8.pdf

Last edited by blitz118; Jun 23, 2003 at 02:32 PM.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 03:23 PM

Blitz 118, Thanks for the manual reference. That's really good stuff to read up on.
I know that there is a reason for the spoiler's existance other than cosmetic. The Evo's racing heritage demands that the spoiler serve a practical purpose to be sure.
I was just wondering how much it contributes to the vehicle's handling and under what type of conditions. I will probably not be driving this car over 100mph and its unlikely that I will ever drive it on a closed track. Most of the driving I see in my future will be on urban streets, hilly switchback roads and highways.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 05:27 AM
choad

cwebb...

What does the spoiler do for you on your 996 Porsche then??

You should prolly take the spoiler off of that one too, since you don't drive above 100 MPH often.

Its a waste sitting back there, and the Porsche spoiler looks GOOFY when its up...

I never liked that AUTOMATIC spoiler idea....Seemed like a WASTE of technology..
Old Jun 24, 2003, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

30+ here and I'm going sleeper style, dewinging with an extra decklid and painting just the visible side of the intercooler black. The winged deck will go on for track days. I could careless what evo purist or others think. Big iron nuts come with age I guess. Where I travel and take the car it will be prey to kids, vandalism and gawkers. Attention I don't want. If they don't notice it, they won't mess with it.

Last edited by n00dle; Jun 24, 2003 at 06:18 PM.
Old Jun 24, 2003, 08:02 PM
choad

Noodle,
You must own a Sushi joint or a "Noodles" franchise..
Neat.. Sushi is my fave..

30+ here and I'm going sleeper style
Sleeper? You bought the WRONG car, homie.
Yet to see a FOUR TIME WRX winner look like the FAMILY TRUCKSTER ..

And what in the WORLD does being thirty plus years old have to do with anything??? Age has NOTHING to do with it...

If you want a sleeper, go out and buy a Mustang LX 5.0, take off the badging, crank up the HP and SMOKE some peeps from the stoplight..

If you want a race bred, rally proven, AUTHENTIC WRC car, then leave the spolier on and stop being so fricken CONSERVATIVE...

Take it from a guy that owned the original boy racer with what was then a big wing..(E30 M3)..Drive an appreciate the car for what it IS..a factory rally racer..

Buy and drive the car for the package, not to take **** off because it doesn't fit your conservative image..

I suppose the red Brembos are "sleeper"..
How about the vents in the hood??
FAT exhaust?

Dude, you ain't driven a SLEEPER..

The car is an EVO!!!!!

Old Jun 24, 2003, 08:32 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by M3lachsilber
Sleeper? You bought the WRONG car, homie.
Don't have one yet, but that is the plan. My reasons are justified by me no one else. Your points are valid, just not for me. It's clear by this thread alone that there are individual preferences. Several have de-winged and more are to follow.

And what in the WORLD does being thirty plus years old have to do with anything??? Age has NOTHING to do with it...
I only mention age, because it was previously mentioned by a few others and is an interesting common factor by a select few, FWIW.

If you want a sleeper, go out and buy a Mustang LX 5.0, take off the badging, crank up the HP and SMOKE some peeps from the stoplight..
I plan on tracking the car where the big wing can shine . The EVO is a better all around package from the showroom floor. It fits the bill. Not big into drag racing.

If you want a race bred, rally proven, AUTHENTIC WRC car, then leave the spolier on and stop being so fricken CONSERVATIVE...
hmm... I may consider that low wing option just like the GTA version. It's still an EVO

Buy and drive the car for the package, not to take **** off because it doesn't fit your conservative image..
I probably will leave it alone if I can get one with the low wing on it, which according to most of the info i've come across is suppose to be the standard option. The big wing is optional, but it seems MMA has outfitted the majority with them.

I suppose the red Brembos are "sleeper"..
How about the vents in the hood??
FAT exhaust?
No, Brembos, hood and exhaust can stay.

The car is an EVO!!!!!
so it shouldn't really matter to those that know what's underneath the sheet metal. afterall, i'm going to be the one driving it. It ain't that bad

Last edited by n00dle; Jun 24, 2003 at 08:38 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Sleeper?

trying to get photo shop 7 to let me uplaod this picture in the best resolution?

Last edited by silvrevo; Jun 25, 2003 at 08:23 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 08:50 AM
choad

hmm... I may consider that low wing option just like the GTA version. It's still an EVO
Yeah, an AUTOMATIC ..

Ya know...I think I'm going to put some Starsky and Hutch decals on the side of mine...

Since it's my car, and I don't care what anyone thinks, it should look cool...

Think about this..
The Split Window Corvette, when it first came out was HATED by some..So what did people start to do? CUT THE FRICKAN STEEL SPLIT OUT..

Now, an authentic Split Window Vette that hasn't been monkeyed with and is original, is worth $$$

I suppose the Plymouth SUBERBIRD should have the spoiler removed as well....Cuz it really does look like ****....
What is the overall value and image of a "De-Winged" Superbird??

Huh? Huh?

My point is, that we all like to have cars that are unique to our own preferences, but this is beyond graphics and a stereo install. You are removing one of the KEY FEATURES of UNIQUENESS that sets this car apart..
(just like the Superbirds of old, and the Split Window Vettes..)

I really think those are good comparisons, becaues the EVO could be a collector or "Special" car like those in 25 years!! Especially the first year EVO's!!

I know I am such a ranter on this topic, but I seem to want to go on about it..Sorry..
Old Jun 25, 2003, 09:09 AM
Evolved Member

The big rear wing

Pros: Adds downforce at higher speeds. Could increase resale value.
Cons: Adds drag, weight, cost, and looks terrible (unless you are 18 years old). Attracts attention from cops, and theives too. Blocks vision from the rear, especially the sides.

That wing has to go...
Old Jun 25, 2003, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

The Superbird is one of my all-time favorite muscle cars.

Don't mind me, I just post whorin'.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

See

Last edited by silvrevo; Jul 22, 2003 at 09:27 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

De-winged looks stupid!!!
Old Jun 25, 2003, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

See also

Last edited by silvrevo; Jul 22, 2003 at 09:28 AM.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

This car is Steathy... Alot less attention than before. Most ask what it is,, those that know just give a

Last edited by silvrevo; Jul 22, 2003 at 09:29 AM.

Quick Reply: De-Winging Da evo8