Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

De-Winging Da evo8

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2003, 04:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
De-Wining Da evo8

Ok I like this car alot. But Im also 30+ years old. The wing is very very nice, I love the carbon fiber and all, but I feel that the car draws too much attention with that huge wing in the back. Plus Im not in my teens or early 20's anymore and would like to "blend" into traffic and parking lots a little better than I do now. I have many times, in magazines take my finger and put it over the wing to see how it looks, but in person it looks like it might just work. I mean many many cars of high performance dont have wings on them...... bmw, audi, lexus, mercedes, even the wrx looks good without the wing.
Im not concerned about loosing some downforce, im not doing over 100mph daily. If you stand back and look at the car without the wing there are still several key points to this car that speak out, the fenders, huge brakes, hood vent, I just think the wing "Screams" at people "hey look at me im a fast car, look at me" plus the fact that there are soooooooooooo many ricey cars out there with huge wings on them, well, kind of makes me sick, and I feel indifferent somtimes about driving this car with the wing. Once again If I were in my early 20's it would be really cool, but Im not.
So I found the 4 rubber bumpers under the trunk, there are just 4 nuts and washers holding the wing on, so I think it is coming off tonight. The only thing is the holes left in the trunk where the wing was at. Im thinking stainless screws painted white, that way I can put the wing on again if I happen to change my mind.
A body shop said they can weld the holes and refinish the trunk, but I like the idea of being able to put the wing back on if I so choose. So that is not an option.
So any ideas of what to use for the 4 holes on the trunk, Im sure some people put on and remove their wing from time to time.
Also keep the,,, "you should not have bought this car then' to a minimum please. I love the fact it has awd (4 season car), plus it is really roomy for a larger type guy.
Thanks and Ill post some pictures Wed. Both of the tint and the wingless evo.
ps. I might keep the wing or sell it depending on how I like the looks of it, If i keep it one thing is I could mount it on my wall and call it art!! BTW the parts shop just said to order the wing as a replacement would be $1,200.
Thanks.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 04:26 PM
Evolved Member

Dude, this is something every new evo owner will go through. I went through it. It takes a lot of getting used to. DO NOT REMOVE THE WING WITHOUT installing the smaller lancer spoiler. The holes are likely to rust.

Last edited by jemm; Mar 18, 2003 at 04:30 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 04:26 PM

Why not put a regular lancer OZ spoiler on instead? It's a nice looking low-profile spoiler.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Go back to the dealer and see if he'd swap it with the trunk lid from a plain Lancer with no spoiler ( according to Motor Trend, the trunk lid is shared with the base Lancer). I thought you could order the car without it. I don't know why they put so much garbage on this car, I beleive the EVO GTA has the same engine but has much better styling ( no hood vent and no big wing.) If all else fails, you could probably take it to a body shop and have the holes plugged up. I'm in the same boat. This thing has a lot to offer, but I won't buy one because of the "rice factor".
Old Mar 18, 2003, 04:29 PM

Here ya go..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33638
Old Mar 18, 2003, 04:35 PM
Evolved Member

Oh ya,,,,, the friggin lancer wing IS NOT an option, the first thing I did when I got my car last week was removed the Lancer badge in the back. I even chipped the paint, and i didnt say one curse word when that happened I was just glad to see it removed!
Again, the small Lancer wing is not an option, but thanks for the heads up.

I loved the Big wing for the first few days,,,, but really, I would not mind seeing what it looks like removed and possibly hanging on the wall in my den.

Im thinking the bolts will have some kind of a rubber washer and the head will be a half moon shaped, Ill see how it goes.

Last edited by silvrevo; Mar 18, 2003 at 04:37 PM.
Old Mar 18, 2003, 04:35 PM

Hey one man's art is anothers garbage. I'm sure you are not the only one who feels that way. Suggestion after you remove the wing. Don't weld/refinish the trunk---for resale alone not to mention the ability to re-install just finsh it with some plugs.

Specifically what I am referring to is a smooth usually domed top plastic plug that is commonly used in interior trim for trunks, and even plugging holes drilled into door jambs (when they used to drill for rustproofing, attaching radiator grill shrowds etc. )
You should be able to find them in various sizes and both black and white. A common supplier to shops are companies like KAR, and it wont cost you more than a couple bucks for the 4!! Happy Hunting!

Old Mar 18, 2003, 04:39 PM

i was under the impression that the wing is optional. why not just order the car without it ???
Old Mar 18, 2003, 04:40 PM

How much is a spare trunk lid (with no holes of course)?
Your wife (assuming you are married) is gonna kill you for collecting junk car parts!
Old Mar 18, 2003, 04:41 PM

Dude, this is something every new evo owner will go through. I went through it. It takes a lot of getting used to. DO NOT REMOVE THE WING WITHOUT installing the smaller lancer spoiler. The holes are likely to rust.
Ahh- Not a Good Idea- the OZ rally wing is a 3 Post with Light, Side holes do not Line up, you would have to drill --eek and there is no wiring for the center stop light. You are better to just use the plastic plugs

Go back to the dealer and see if he'd swap it with the trunk lid from a plain Lancer with no spoiler ( according to Motor Trend, the trunk lid is shared with the base Lancer). I thought you could order the car without it.
Also not the best idea, when I am appraising a vehicle for trade in I am Looking to make sure the Vin numbers are on all appropriate visable sheet metal parts. A non matching VIN raises my suspicions that you car was damaged and repaired using USED PARTS

But I bet the right dealer would be more than happy to swith out trunks with an OZ Rally just for the money they would make on the switched spoiler
Old Mar 18, 2003, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by MR.MITSU

Specifically what I am referring to is a smooth usually domed top plastic plug that is commonly used in interior trim for trunks, and even plugging holes drilled into door jambs (when they used to drill for rustproofing, attaching radiator grill shrowds etc. )
You should be able to find them in various sizes and both black and white. A common supplier to shops are companies like KAR, and it wont cost you more than a couple bucks for the 4!! Happy Hunting!

Is it leak proof???
Old Mar 18, 2003, 04:53 PM
Evolving Member

If your up for it, i can trade my oz spoiler for yours
Old Mar 18, 2003, 04:55 PM
Evolving Member

If not then i would be interested in buying if from you possibly
Old Mar 18, 2003, 05:29 PM

Blah, just replace the whole thing with a CF/FRP trunk. No rust or holes to worry about

Quick Reply: De-Winging Da evo8