Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

opinions needed

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2005, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opinions needed

Ok, so the our 2005 evo is totaled. Now I'm looking for another one. The IX is a high possibility along with its potential. But then there is this evo. Exedy clutch, cams, evo 7 front, gram light wheels and so on

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?car_id=190609012

What do you guys think? I love building my own cars but money's tight. Also the debate over what the condition could be of this car. Any opinions or experience with the reliability of a modded evo would be great.

PS If anyone has a carfax they wouldn't mind sharing that would also be appreciated.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:03 AM
Evolving Member

Well, nice car but ..... 29.5k with 33k miles on it seems a bit too much for me. brand new evo8 SSL = 29.5k.

IMO, mileage > mods .. better mileage is important than minor mods, unless its hitting 500whp or something (heavy modded)

work on 25k then its the deal

my 2cp
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the car is worth stock 22k
and from the pics and what is written i dont see 15k in mods
but if everything is legit than you should get the car for 26-27k

i personally would get the evo 9, nothing beats owning a new car
especially an evo
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:14 AM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't buy it...i mean like others have said, the car is overpriced and you never know how the $15k (if the owner really did spend that much) was spent..
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:23 AM

Well we do know how the 15K was spent. He provided us with a listing and receipts. Parts alone where 15k, not counting the labor that would go into this. I agree with the price needing to come down though. These opinions are greatly appreciated.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:29 AM

Whats the fun in buying a car thats already modded? IMO I like to do all that stuff myself...it makes it my car.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:34 AM
Evolving Member

Get a new one. You will have more fun modding it yourself bit by bit.

As you already may know, these are performance machines which need a lot of looking after. I would'nt trust anyone else on how they took care of it (or how they thrashed it!).
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Chamama
Get a new one. You will have more fun modding it yourself bit by bit.

As you already may know, these are performance machines which need a lot of looking after. I would'nt trust anyone else on how they took care of it (or how they thrashed it!).
That's what I've been thinking and worried about. I know about the fun in modding, been there done that, (still doing it). I am also aware of the many headaches encountered when modding you own car. This will actually be the wife's car. At this point, I'd just rather buy her a 27k car that's modded than spend 32k and then 15k to get to the same point. Like I said, it's reliability that is a concern and no warrenty.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:46 AM
Evolving Member

1. I hate those seats, the IX seats are awesome man, go sit in one you'll decide right then
2. Doesn't look like 15k in mods, and for that high of a price theres like NO information about it, kinda sketchy right there.
3. I'm always afraid of hugely modded cars, you have no idea if it's done right or what
4. Overpriced for a 2003, you can get a new IX for a bit more, way better choice imo
Old Nov 18, 2005, 12:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by t88h supra
That's what I've been thinking and worried about. I know about the fun in modding, been there done that, (still doing it). I am also aware of the many headaches encountered when modding you own car. This will actually be the wife's car. At this point, I'd just rather buy her a 27k car that's modded than spend 32k and then 15k to get to the same point. Like I said, it's reliability that is a concern and no warrenty.
If its gonna be your wife's car, then don't even think about getting the used car, let alone a modded one. Get a new one, bone stock, and you will be free from worries.

If your wife does not know much about cars, then you will have to spend a lot of time fixing up the existing mods when they cause trouble, if you buy the modded used one.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 01:04 AM

We had an 05 evo that was totaled (not her fault). That was her car too. We (seller and I) have talked. The mods are there I just didn't list them all. I guess we'll have to go check out a IX to help with this decision.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 01:09 AM
Evolving Member

I woudn't buy a used evo, who knows what the owner did, I would rather spend the money on a new evo and enjoy building it up myself. I feel it's more enjoyable that way.