Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

So my salesman told me Premium isn't needed in the Evo

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2005, 03:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stealth-Ghost
anyways, my mom is like "so this needs premium?", and I hear my salesman go "Not really, you can put in whatever you want it's not really needed" or something like that, basicly saying premium isn't required, just suggested.
most mitsu sales people dont know jack
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:02 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah I know haha, most salesman don't know jack at any dealership unless they own the car you're talking about, like some salesman on evom own evos

Is there 98 octane in Colorado at like BP? I never look at the premium gas really since I don't have a car that needs it yet, and I just moved here =/
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I know haha, most salesman don't know jack at any dealership unless they own the car you're talking about, like some salesman on evom own evos

Is there 98 octane in Colorado at like BP? I never look at the premium gas really since I don't have a car that needs it yet, and I just moved here =/
I've never heard of any place having 98. I'm pretty sure they just have 91 out here, but there are a few rare places with 93. I'm about to move to the Springs and have been asking about this...apparently, there is one in town, but I haven't found it yet.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:05 PM
Evolving Member

no thats race gas quality (or just about... it might be 100 octane. theres only 3 gas stations that i've heard that carry it in my state)

premium is usually 93 unless your in Cali which is a ridiculous 91

if your trying to hit 98, you could use the toulene approach:

http://www.elektro.com/~audi/audi/toluene.html
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:08 PM
Evolving Member

I'll use whatever the highest is at the stations around me, if it's 93 is that high enough?...
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

I'll use whatever the highest is at the stations around me, if it's 93 is that high enough?...
yeah but make sure you go to ones that are known for better quality fuels

like BP, Shell, Amoco...etc
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Is 93 high enough????????????//

Now, THAT really scares me. Mommy is a part of the buying process...newbie questions...don't know if 93oct is enough. WOW. I fear for the future of this Evo IX.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

Actually you can run 87 octane on your Evo. You won't see the type of power you can get from 91+ but I believe the ECU will retard timing to offset the lower octane. Until the ECU compensates for the poor gas you'll probably experience some nasty pinging under boost and/or at higher RPM's.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:19 PM
Former Vendor

as soon as it measures knock it will pull timing.. yes you could run it, but would anyone really want to..
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:20 PM
Former Vendor

nevermind dumb ques.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Best we can get around here is 92, I have never had a problem or pinging. Runs great.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Is 93 high enough????????????//

Now, THAT really scares me. Mommy is a part of the buying process...newbie questions...don't know if 93oct is enough. WOW. I fear for the future of this Evo IX.

I don't know much about the fuel process and what lower octane will do to your car if it requires higher. If the manual says 98, and I use 93 or 91, will that be high enough so that I won't experience problems or hurt the engine, or should I mix my fuel to overcome that.

That is what I ment.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:24 PM
Former Vendor

i guess one thing good about here is 94 is all over the place, plus there is 3 spots that 104, and 110.. im sure some southern boys could get some shine though.. id give a finger for a couple gallons of the good stuff.. ot sorry.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

I want to see the manual that says you should run 98 octane...can you scan that or something?

I'm surprised these salesman threads keep popping up...figured everyone knew by now that most of them couldn't pour water out of a boot with instructions on the heel.
Old Nov 18, 2005, 04:27 PM
Evolving Member

Read the service manual and dont listen to everything that you here in this world.