Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

car feels slow compare to friend's evo..help plz

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2005, 02:16 PM
wj4
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
car feels slow compare to friend's evo..help plz

hey all a quick summary of the background...
i have an 05 evo 8 gsr with SSL, my friend has an 05 evo 8 gsr base. my car is about 2 months old, his car is 1.5 months old.
i have a sub box that houses 2 12s in the trunk and an espelir catback. his car is still stock.
i drove both cars and he did too and my car feels a bit "off" than his. my clutch and gearbox feels a bit softer than his...and my car feels slower than his. where as when i drove his car, as soon as the boost kicks in i was pushed back in my seat..this doesnt happen in my car. same goes for when hes driving...when hes driving his car, i get pushed back in my seat as a passenger, and when he drives my car, it feels fast but not "as fast". can the sub box really be accounted for the difference? im estimating the subs and amps to be around 100lb.
and i look at my gauge, im stilil hitting 21 psi, same goes for him as well. thanks guys
Old Nov 19, 2005, 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

the SSL package adds a good deal of weight as well. to put the sunroof in, they need to add some extra supports to the bottom of the car.

also i believe the leather seats are slightly heavier too.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 02:28 PM
wj4
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MondoBongo
the SSL package adds a good deal of weight as well. to put the sunroof in, they need to add some extra supports to the bottom of the car.

also i believe the leather seats are slightly heavier too.
yes, i also figured that in. the leather seats and the sunroof added some weight. i mean i dont abuse my car so i dont think there is anything mechanical wrong with it. damn u mitsu...made me get the whole SSL when all i wanted was HIDs lol.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 02:30 PM

any weight will slow it down a little, especially 2 12's...........
Old Nov 19, 2005, 02:38 PM
wj4
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MrSpeedDemon
any weight will slow it down a little, especially 2 12's...........
right, i believe the thesis is 1hp lost for every 10lb gained?
i was scared because i didnt get that i got pushed back in my seat feeling lol. hopefully when the downpipe and cat delete comes in, theyll cheer me up
thanks for reassuring me that it is the weight guys, and not that my car is wrong lol.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 02:45 PM

I'm on board with these guys too i bet its the weight, i had two 10's in my last car and that setup weighed a ton. every pound makes a difference
Old Nov 19, 2005, 02:50 PM
wj4
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ryno255
I'm on board with these guys too i bet its the weight, i had two 10's in my last car and that setup weighed a ton. every pound makes a difference
lol some of my friends are like that, taking off everything thats un-needed, ie spare tire, backseat, even side mirrors lol.
it doesnt bother me because i dont street race my car but just wanted to clarify the problem. once again guys, thanks for the help
and lol the sub box is quite heavy...i live on a 2nd floor condo and the ups dude was having a hard time bringing it in, he asked me to help him
Old Nov 19, 2005, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

Last month I went to the tracks with my friends. We basically have the same mods. Same boost.

One of my friends have a sound system and weighed excactly 100lbs heavier. They had a scale there. He ran .2 and 2mph slower than me when I drove his Evo down the 1/4.

Old Nov 19, 2005, 03:04 PM
Evolved Member

take them to the track
Old Nov 19, 2005, 03:12 PM
wj4
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05 EVO RS
take them to the track
no thanks bro lol. i dont wanna abuse my car like that. and after getting arrested for speed racing in the last car, i had my speed needs tuned. now im a decent driver in the evo
Old Nov 19, 2005, 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

There's a rather large discrepency between evos stock for stock compared to other cars. I was once in your shoes.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 03:40 PM
wj4
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by bluevilevo8
There's a rather large discrepency between evos stock for stock compared to other cars. I was once in your shoes.
and im guessing now that since u are well modded ur like "eh who cares about stocks" hehe
Old Nov 19, 2005, 09:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So I'm guessing you missed my response to one of your other threads:

"WJ4, right now, your car is slower than stock despite having spent 3k on frivolous things. If you add the other mods you listed in this thread, you would be maybe slightly faster than stock, but barely noticeable due to the extra weight. You also would have spent over $5k to achieve this. If you have any interest in actually making your car faster while not spending much money (I believe you do), then go this route:

- Hallman Pro MBC, Forge UNOS MBC, Turbosmart Tee = $85
- JDM MR DV = $110
- LICP (vendor of choice) = $170
- Megan downpipe = $150
- Megan test pipe = $80
- Walbro 255 = $85
- Mail-in Dynoflash for $199 (or flasher of your choice)"

The comment you just made about not wanting to abuse your car "like that" is very disconcerting. You equated it to "speed racing," which is nothing like going to the track and seeing exactly what your car can do...and what YOU can do as a driver. This is a race car...it is meant to be raced. Racing doesn't mean abusing...
Old Nov 19, 2005, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
So I'm guessing you missed my response to one of your other threads:

"WJ4, right now, your car is slower than stock despite having spent 3k on frivolous things. If you add the other mods you listed in this thread, you would be maybe slightly faster than stock, but barely noticeable due to the extra weight. You also would have spent over $5k to achieve this. If you have any interest in actually making your car faster while not spending much money (I believe you do), then go this route:

- Hallman Pro MBC, Forge UNOS MBC, Turbosmart Tee = $85
- JDM MR DV = $110
- LICP (vendor of choice) = $170
- Megan downpipe = $150
- Megan test pipe = $80
- Walbro 255 = $85
- Mail-in Dynoflash for $199 (or flasher of your choice)"

The comment you just made about not wanting to abuse your car "like that" is very disconcerting. You equated it to "speed racing," which is nothing like going to the track and seeing exactly what your car can do...and what YOU can do as a driver. This is a race car...it is meant to be raced. Racing doesn't mean abusing...
Exactly! if want to baby this car you should have gotten a kia instead. live a little and drive your car.
Old Nov 19, 2005, 11:55 PM
G20
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey man,
let me tell you a secret. If you don't drive the EVO like its purpose then it'll break down a lot. Turbo will break because not enough air flow to clean up the deposited dusk, pistons will stuck because they were not work hard enough to lubricate... Basically like a pretty woman, she'll get fat if you won't let she live her life. Evo doesn't like to be baby. That's probably why your car is feeling slower ... It's slow dying.

Originally Posted by wj4
no thanks bro lol. i dont wanna abuse my car like that. and after getting arrested for speed racing in the last car, i had my speed needs tuned. now im a decent driver in the evo

Quick Reply: car feels slow compare to friend's evo..help plz