Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

RVM IC pipes, Forge BOV installed. Why no cool BOV sound?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2005, 11:40 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RVM IC pipes, Forge BOV installed. Why no cool BOV sound?

Just kidding! I wish I could see some of the looks on your faces after that title!
I did however, install both of these items. Forge is SOOOOO much better than stock, holds boost remarkably well. Now I can run almost 22 psi with no taper. This should be the last BOV I ever buy.
The pipes are good too. lighter than stock, much larger than the OE pipes, the only fitting problem I ran into was The pipe off the turbo. It is bigger than the OE diameter so I had to get some socket head cap screws to replace the hex cap screws that are the OE screws as you cannot get a socket over the screw because it is right next to the pipe. Fit is pretty good, no retrofitting is needed. I want to thank mitsu for putting some of the hose clamps in the orientation that make them almost impossible to remove without taking off the front bumper. THANKS! I do have pics but they are just a little too big to fit on here. nothing special but if someone wants to host them I can email them too you.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 11:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, man, I almost blew a gasket...especially, because it was YOU.

One thing I'd like to mention is that the BOV is not what affects taper really. The turbo naturally tapers, since it cannot efficiently hold high boost very well at high rpms. The key is that despite the natural taper, a stronger BOV will not leak as much, which means the turbo doesn't have to work as hard to maintain the same boost pressure.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

I can't wait to get new pipes. Some day... sigh
Old Nov 21, 2005, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

My main reason for getting these was because the upper IC pipe by the intake would blow off about once every few weeks, no matter how tight i made it, and i knew it would happen one day on the way to work and I didnt want to risk any other pipes blowing off. I did a few 4th gear pulls on the highway (with tools in my car) to make sure they would stay tight at 22 psi. All is well and i will check them in a coulple weeks to make sure they are still tight. I am impressed with the diameter of the pipes too!