Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX vs. Turbonetics 350Z...

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2005, 12:49 PM
sk8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EvoIXowner
do you have a site i could contact him at?

That is his site/shop. Please contact him through that.

And yes, its fing fast.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 01:16 PM
Evolving Member

Most retarded thing i've head thus far, no AEM for the IX yet, no 280 cams for the evo yet, bov is useless in the evo, and fmic can't get any more efficent for the stock turbo
Originally Posted by RSGuy
Here's an idea, keep the IX. Get an AEM EMS, HKS 280 I/E Cams, TB Exhaust, MBC, FMIC+Piping, BOV and possibly some Alky Injection. This is the route I'm going before I upgrade to a GT3065/GT35R. Also, since you already have a IX turbo, you could upgrade to a Buschur Racing 20G-9 Turbo for pretty cheap. This turbo looks like a great option. Screw the Z unless all you want is some poontang.

~fred
Old Nov 20, 2005, 01:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChangBang
500HP on a stock 350Z engine is asking for trouble.

You'll probably have to rebuild the engine in a year or two.

Not worth the trade IMO.
+1. Ive seen 350z blow motors tons of times in a matter of 6 months!! If you wana buy that car, at least build the bottom end and make the motor stronger bc if you dont, you will probably be rebuilding it 2 times a year
Old Nov 20, 2005, 02:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Were probably not gonna see the same cam set up on the IX's because of the mivec (variable valve timing). We will most likley somthin closer looking to Honda VTEC cams mabey with a even more aggressive secondary lobe. Im sure the Top Companys are working on the R&D now
Old Nov 20, 2005, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

i cant tell you the differance between the two cars but to add to your comment about 20 vs 8 psi, our cars are built from factory to handle it. the 350z is known to handle boost pretty good but i have two buddys with 350z. one has the greddy twin turbo kit, the other has some australian companys turbo kit . the guy with the greddy kit has blown two engines and is now looking to turn his car back to stock. my buddy with the australian kit is running i think 44X to the wheels and his car hasnt had any problems. because the 350z inst built for boost it all depense on what your looking to get out of it. personaly i love the evo and im glad i passed all my other choices. i say stay evo
Old Nov 20, 2005, 03:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by RSGuy
Here's an idea, keep the IX. Get an AEM EMS, HKS 280 I/E Cams, TB Exhaust, MBC, FMIC+Piping, BOV and possibly some Alky Injection. This is the route I'm going before I upgrade to a GT3065/GT35R. Also, since you already have a IX turbo, you could upgrade to a Buschur Racing 20G-9 Turbo for pretty cheap. This turbo looks like a great option. Screw the Z unless all you want is some poontang.

~fred
i think everyone's sentiments are the same here... however i'll give you a more broad overview of why you shouldn't... or maybe why you should...

the first rule of forced induction has to be don't try to supercharge a high compression naturally aspirated car. why? simple... high comp na cars are making as much squish as they can because they don't have enough suck. when you add more suck you can get away with less squish because the increased suck makes up for the lack of squish and MIND you it MORE than makes up for hte lack of squish because adding more suck gives you more squish also.

if that isn't the first rule of supercharging... then it's at least some numeration, and it's worth noting in this case because the vq35 runs what? 10.9:1 comp... that's a lot of comp... most harcore turboed engines squeeze around 8:1. 8psi at 10.9 comp is lots more damaging than 20psi at 8:1. so yes... you will be rebuilding that vq in two years cuz it'd be a miracle if you could get more than 80k outta it.

that being said... after you shred those pistons and break those connecting rods and shoot out pieces of headgasket making you feel totally castrated for hte month that you will be without your car that lays it down when you hit the throttle... you can rebuild the engine the way it was suppose to be built for turbocharging, build it with low comp pistons forged con rods etc etc, maybe even destroke it so you can rev higher and then make really really good power with a big turbo.

that being said i don't think it's the best to call the 350 out on drag times... that car really is meant for other things.... i mean the evo is... but it's semi good at everything so you can kinda get away with it... the 350 makes a good gt or a drift car. that's it... don't try to drag race it... it doesn't even look cool doing it...
Old Nov 20, 2005, 04:58 PM

Thanks guys, i appreciate the input. I'll think about it, but it sounds like i'll just hold onto the Evo and see what parts come out for it in the next 6 months....if HKS can pump out some new cam or something that brings it up to around 350-375awhp, i'll stay with it, if not, maybe i'll sell it and get the Z and upgrade the **** out of it with the 7 grand extra i save. Thanks all for the posts.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 05:20 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoIXowner
Hey all...

Just wondering an opinion on something. I was just wondering what you thought was faster on the 1/4 mile...an Evo IX with about 325whp, or a Turbonetics 350Z with about 390whp? Just wondering because someone made me a killer deal to trade my evo for MSRP and then i would go get a 2006 250Z with a Turbonetics turbo kit. The kit produces about 500hp at the crank, 400 at the wheels with 8psi. I love the whiplash i get from my evo everytime i throw down the throttle anywhere from 0-40mph, and i'm afraid of upgrading to a car with N/A 300hp already, the power band will be super smooth. I'm not necessarliy looking for the FASTEST car...but i want one that kicks you when you throw the throttle down. I figure that the 350Z running at only 8psi would last long than our evo's running at 20psi...any thoughts on that? I want the car to haul ***, but be super reliable...and i know that our mitsu's struggle there...anyone know anything about the 350's with a turbo on them? any imput would be sweet. Thanks
I owned a 350z and unless they built that engine to support that kind of power (rods, pistons, etc.) I'd stay away. The Z is a fun and very capable car. Just know there are limits unless your wallet says otherwise...
Old Nov 20, 2005, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

FYI: Call owner of Frederick Nissan in MD.... he has 350 Z Greddy tt ...

I saw it in action can't even break to 12 sec 1/4 mi.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 07:23 PM
Evolving Member

Keep the EVO. wheelspin, wheelspin, wheelspin.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 07:36 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
What do you mean you got a killer deal to "trade" your Evo for MSRP? What does that mean? You can't get MSRP for a used car...what the?

Then, are you saying they provide 2006 350z's with Turbo kits from the factory or something, or are you talking about buying a new 350z, then paying to add a turbo kit for about 8 grand? What I can tell you is that if you think a turbo'd 350z with stock internals while trying to push 400whp is anywhere near as reliable as an Evo, then you are on crack. The Evo engine is INCREDIBLY reliable, because it already has forged internals capable of handling upwards of 500-550whp. When/where did you get this idea that Evo engines were unreliable? Were you equating reliability of the clutch and/or drivetrain with the engine? Those are 2 separate things. I can't imagine you'd expect a stock 350z drivetrain built to handle 230-240whp in stock form to hold up well after adding 160-170whp on a 2wd platform. Has any of this crossed your mind?

Oh, and to answer your question about which one would be FASTER in the 1/4-mile, well let's think about it. 390whp...325whp...similar weight...hmmm. Let me ponder this one for a few seconds...well duh, I hope my sarcasm shines through. 65whp more would be much faster in the 1/4-mile. Whether or not it's quicker would depend on tire selection and driving ability. I raced a turbo'd 350z with over 20k spent, including a rebiult/fortified engine (blew his original after the turbo). He ran 12.3 at 117+ mph while I ran 12.1 at 111 mph pretty much all day...

+1, well put. He knows what he's talking about. An evo's internals are BUILT for high turbo output. A 350z was never intended to have even 1 psi from the factory. You can guess whats gunna be more reliable.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 08:29 PM
Evolving Member

Here is a clip of a guy running a APS TT kit. Track conditions were horrible, he was running nitto drag radials. I shoot in widescreen, so switch it from 480 for correct aspect. I thought his name was good. Not bad for a heavier convertible.

http://media.putfile.com/joedirttt350z

Even so, the evo is a better all around modifiable car. In my opinion.
Old Nov 20, 2005, 09:22 PM
Evolved Member

if u were lookin for a drag monster why did u get the Evo to begin with? if u are willing to sacrifice the AWD for the RWD, then maybe u have a point there. but if this is so, why did u get the Evo in the first place? the Evo is much more than just a drag car (although it can be cuz it responds so well to mods); it is a turbo + AWD platform car. it offers 4 doors that seat 5 people...it is basically the all-around car: performance, practicality, and versatility. if u are willing to sacrifice practicality and versatility just for a drag car, then i guess maybe the Z will be for u...but like i said before it sounds like u shouldn't have gotten the evo in the start.

the Evo engine, 4g63, has been around for a long time....and it is meant to be boosted, sicne it comes with a turbo from factory. It is a very reliable engine. Most Evo's have problems not with the engine, but the clutch/tc, etc. N/A engines from factory are not meant to be boosted, therefore it is a lot less reliable. only slappin a turbo kit on the Z will not produce a reliable engine. sure having a big wallet will help you out, but u will be irritated with constant maintenance/tuning processes.

just IMO, open to any corrections/opinions. thanks.

btw, please don't flame me just cuz i expressed my opinion on the internet >_<
Old Nov 20, 2005, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Stick with the Evo.....
Old Nov 20, 2005, 11:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by trinydex
i think everyone's sentiments are the same here... however i'll give you a more broad overview of why you shouldn't... or maybe why you should...

the first rule of forced induction has to be don't try to supercharge a high compression naturally aspirated car. why? simple... high comp na cars are making as much squish as they can because they don't have enough suck. when you add more suck you can get away with less squish because the increased suck makes up for the lack of squish and MIND you it MORE than makes up for hte lack of squish because adding more suck gives you more squish also.

even as i still am trying to fully comprehend this, i personally feel that this is the funniest sentence i have ever read

it just sounds hilarious as you read outloud

Quick Reply: Evo IX vs. Turbonetics 350Z...