Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

can we push or pull the car!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2005, 07:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
u need to flat bed the car. unless the center diff has a mechanical lubrication setup like some 4x4 diffs. you can only town certain awd/4x4 vehicles. it can do damage
Old Nov 20, 2005, 07:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bd307
Come on people, let's think about it. Although the Evo has a 4WD system, it does not mean the car can't be push. The reason why you need a flatbed when you are towing because the 2 different pairs (front and rear) are at different speed if you are securing on the regular tow truck. However, if you are pushing the car, all 4 wheels are just the same as if you are driving the car.

Don't worry it too much as long as you are putting it in neutural as if you are pushing any car.
+2 ... you can push the car in neutral as long as 4 wheels are allowed to spin ...
I don't know where the rest of you get your crazy ideas from ... please try not to spread rumors ...
Old Nov 21, 2005, 12:01 AM
Evolving Member

the thing is all the 3 wheels rolled at the same speed but the one on the left didn't because I bent the wheel and it got stuck...so i just wondering if only 3 wheels were spinning is okie?
Old Nov 21, 2005, 12:05 AM
Former Vendor

get a damn flat bed.. if its a rear, no, youll screw up the diff. if its a front without lsd, then you could, but you said its a rear, so no.. put the spare on or get it towed..
Old Nov 21, 2005, 12:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it will be cheaper to get it flatbed tow, rather than riskin the diff. This is a good question though, I was just asking my homeboy about this not too long ago.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 12:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think people understand exactly why you can't conventionally tow an awd car. It is because two wheels are spinning, and two are not. If you flat tow the car, or push the car it will not mess anything up. What do you think you are doing while you are coasting? It is essentially the same.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Sigh, if you can't push the car while on the surface with all 4 wheels, why you are putting the gear in netural when you are about to stop (if you are not engine braking the car)?

Or as dsevo said, coasting.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 02:49 PM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
If all four wheels are on the ground you can push or pull the friggen thing as long as you want.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 02:53 PM
Account Disabled

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This only works while in reverse with the left blinker and rear windshield wiper on. You also have to be sure to push it 50% of the way and pull it the other 50% of the way. Otherwise you better call Shep for a rebuild.
Old Nov 21, 2005, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HeoEvo
the thing is all the 3 wheels rolled at the same speed but the one on the left didn't because I bent the wheel and it got stuck...so i just wondering if only 3 wheels were spinning is okie?
No, because the wheel opposite will want to turn twice as fast to compensate.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 01:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by HeoEvo
as we know we can't tow the car with only 2 wheels I for short distance or long distance so what i was wondering that can you just pull or push the Evo slowly to your house?
yes... you can push it fast too. just have someone steering.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:31 PM
Evolving Member

All you people saying don't tow with two wheels, have you ever jacked up the car to see if the ACD is locked with the car off? A good portion of the time the differential is unlocked when driving. I am guessing that it is also unlocked when the ignition is off. In which case you could tow with the rear wheels on the ground. Or put the key to "on", pull the ebrake up one click unlocking the diff and tow away.

I have never put the car in the air to see if the diff is locked when turned off but it might be an interesting thing for someone to find out.

03 and 04 models with the viscous diff should only be towed at very very slow speeds with two wheels down. Preferably not at all. But the ACD cars can theoretically be completely FWD at times and thus towed with two wheels down.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
i believe someone said that the ebrake etc methods of turning off the acd so to speak, do not acutally UNCOUPLE the differential... and the differential can never be fully 100% uncoupled but that it just puts it in a very low ratio and prevents the acd from throwing full lock on.

so since there is no uncoupling of the diff... you are breaking or rather wearing something, technically even more so than if you were towing slowly with a vcd which should never be done.
Old Nov 22, 2005, 11:10 PM
Evolved Member

i understand that all questions should be answered fairly and all, and not to be bashed but, if u can take ur car out of gear in on the highway and be fine, then u should be alright with a couple of joe schmoes pushing ur car. just dont have the incredicle hulk pick up the front of ur car while ur doing this!
Old Nov 23, 2005, 11:34 AM
Evolving Member

then I must have messed up the differential how can you check if you messed up teh diferential?....

Quick Reply: can we push or pull the car!