Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

EVO VII comming to CANADA?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2002, 03:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just talked to some people who work for MMSA at the Toronto Internation Auto Show and they said that Mitsu will be starting their dealership chain in September of this year with 20 dealerships across Canada. They also mentioned that the EVO is not currently slated to come to Canada to meet the Sep deadline but there's still time to change that.

She dropped a date of Jan 2003 for the EVO's arrival in the USA... take it for what it's worth... not much.
Old Feb 16, 2002, 03:27 AM
Evolving Member

Anybody know what the process of importing an American car into Canada is like?
Old Feb 16, 2002, 04:07 AM
Evolved Member

In order to import a car into Canada from the U.S. you first need to get approval from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles Canada. They will tell you if a car is admissible or not and if it is, what changes you may need to make so that it complies with Canadian standards. Their web site has a list of vehicles for importing, however the Evos are not on there. You have to phone the number provided and speek to an operator to find out. I called regarding importing a U.S. spec Evo VII and they said, "that car won't be a problem." I haven't asked about Japanese spec Evos yet.

If you import a car, at the border you will have to pay 6.1% duty if it isn't made in the U.S., plus 7% GST, plus $100 air conditioning charge, plus $186 for the regitrar of the vehicle and depending on the province there may be PST as well. If you buy the car new and it is more then 30 days old before you try to import it you only pay duty on what the car is worth in the Red Book, not on what you paid, so yu can save a few bucks that way. I have a requested package from the Registrar coming in the mail. I'll see when it arrives if there is anything else that may be helpfull. Here is the link you'll need:
http://www.riv.ca/
Old Feb 16, 2002, 01:08 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Read this newswire for info on Mitsu in Canada:

http://www.newswire.ca/releases/Febr.../13/c1264.html
Old Feb 16, 2002, 03:03 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by evo_dan
I called regarding importing a U.S. spec Evo VII and they said, "that car won't be a problem." I haven't asked about Japanese spec Evos yet.
http://www.riv.ca/
Apparently the 2002 USDM Lancer cannot be imported into Canada because it's on RIV's list of prohibited cars... I'd get something in writing. I mean even though the 2003 Lancer EVO7 isn't on the list today, it might find it's way onto the list the day before you decide to import it into Canada... then what? Maybe if you could arrange something like a import raincheque with the gov't?
Old Feb 16, 2002, 03:10 PM

News from Toronto Autoshow:
"Pierre Gagnon, president of Mitsubishi Motor Sales of America, Inc. announced today that the company is ahead of schedule with plans to launch operations in Canada. Vehicles are expected to be available through a growing dealership network in September of 2002 rather than February of 2003 as originally planned"

sweet music to my ears
Old Feb 19, 2002, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

Pierre Gagnon?

I can only imagine what the frenchy is gaggin on...
Old Feb 19, 2002, 03:26 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by docious
thats a personal question.

check out that "PM" button... I wonder what it does...
PM means Private message...

Oh wait, you were being a smart ***.

whoops =D
Old Feb 19, 2002, 03:29 AM
Evolving Member

Quick on the draw!!