Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Any new owners dissapointed?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2003, 02:41 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love my Evo

Only complaints compared to my WRX are the much worse streeing angle for tight parking and manuvering and the lack of nice places to put gauges - also the radio sucks

Other than that it blows away the suby in just about every manner
Old Mar 20, 2003, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Al,
how does the Evo compare to the finished version of your STi-replacement WRX? I know that car was obviously quick, but how does it all compare?
Todd
Old Mar 20, 2003, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by tpm17

Are you saying the xenons on the Evo are crap, and they fade away to a hologen look over time???
I am going to go out on a limb here and say that maybe he is referring to when you switch to high-beams at which point yellow halogens come on.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 03:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The high beams didn't look like Halogen to me.. However the fog lamps did look like 80 watt Halogen bulbs.. Who knows, I parked my car in an underground garage for work, so we pointed it at the wall to see what the angle adjustment knob actually did to the beam pattern.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 03:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 91TB78
Al,
how does the Evo compare to the finished version of your STi-replacement WRX? I know that car was obviously quick, but how does it all compare?
Todd
After sevreal driving days i can make the following comparsions :

Pro evo - Better smooth road handling - better steering feel - better seats
Faster spool up
easier mod path to 300 wheel hp

Pro STI
Better on very broken roads and bumpy stuff
somoother idel
harder hit on top - has more initial lag but hits harder when it comes onto boost
better interior and radio

Bottom line the STI and EVO are both great cars - - but I like the EVO better becuase it has less turbo lag and the intercooler is in a better location
Old Mar 20, 2003, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

I would like to put some electrochromatic mirrors on, like the ones on bmw's,,, they are blueish tint, and really help glare at night.

Other wise the evo is great,,,,, I look at it this way.... the evo is like the wrx.... base cars.
The STi is the tuner for the wrx... (300hp)
Ralleyart is the tuner for the evo... if and when they come to north america, and installed by a dealer isnt it covered under warrenty? Im thinking a nice factory warrenty chip from ralleyart for what $1000? This will push the evo over 300hp!
Can anyone else comment on this, or am I totally off base?
Old Mar 20, 2003, 04:01 PM

Originally posted by gtr
No Front LSD and/or ACD

Every other annoyances I've already anticipated to fix to my liking. Such as.

1. Outside temp, with auto dim mirrors.
2. Better speakers "no paper speakers" and a much better headunit worthy of a japanese car.
3. No boost guage or EGT guage.

Stuff i cant do anything about,

1. Xenons color change from white to as yellow as my regular lights.
2. No ACD or AYC if i wanted one.
3. No titanium turbo. "Nice to have faster spool up to decrease lag"
4. No factory cruse control.

The car was more than i expected though.

I was orginally thinking 265 hp with ACD last year with no recaro and small FMIC.
GTR, ask your dealer if they can install an aftermarket cruise control. My dealer said they have them and can do so for about $200. However I can't verify this for they haven't got any Evos in yet but I'm interested in finding out.

The auto dim mirror is a good idea. Radio looks easy to upgrade, much more so then in say a G35 or mazda 6.

good luck!
Old Mar 20, 2003, 04:05 PM

Sounds like everyone is happy with their purchase. I'm curious on a few points.. Is the maintenance a hassle? Adding spray coolent, tire rotation? (of course that probably hasn't happened yet). Washing and waxing with the wing?

Also how's the interior holding up? Cheap looking is one thing but I'd still like it to be durable.

How harsh is the ride over rough road?

What's the clutch like?

Thanks!
Old Mar 20, 2003, 04:53 PM

Re: The Evo

Originally posted by shizod
Well its nowhere as great as my GT-R but its ok, kinda wished I waited for the STi.
That's what I'm waiting on, hehe. only 3 more months. Gotta love the STI.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 04:59 PM
EvoM Guru

I don't really have a benchmark to compare to for alot of these things, I've had pretty much all V8 rear drive muscle cars or sports cars. The closest thing I owned to this was an 89 Isuzu Impulse Turbo with the lotus tuned suspension.. This obviously blows it away. The interior quality is actually much nicer than my Neon, the seats are very comfortable, the shifter is notchy but tolerable compared to some of the other cars I've owned. Its really firm on the road.. Some might call it Harsh, but its actually quite pleasant compared to my neon with 17x7's (215-40-17) and Eibach springs (1.5" lowered) The neon was nice on smooth roads, but as soon as you experienced a bit of degraded pavement, or a pothole, it was terrible.. The EVO is quite acceptable (Due to the 45 series tires obviously)
Old Mar 20, 2003, 07:48 PM

Someone asked me how it compares to a Z06 and I'm affraid that my answer is, it doesn't. Today I got on the Evo a little bit and there wasn't much there. I am sure that a lot of guys think this car is so fast but if you have driven fast cars this one is just "pretty fast".

For a stock car at 30K it kicks ***....no doubt. I love the car for what it is and I'm glad that I got it. I am going to make some mods for sure just to get it where I need it to be. The handling on the Evo is a lot better than my GSX but the GSX would blow it away as far as straight away racing goes. But that is really what this car is not intended to be.

I am not knocking this car by any means.....I would not have spent my hard earned money on it if I didn't like it. I just get sick of dealers making it sound like it is the fasting most powerful car on the road. I had to bite my tounge about the vette when I was talking price with the dealer.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 08:09 PM
Evolving Member

Blissful1, I assume your GSX is heavily modified? I've driven some fast cars and I hear what you're saying. If you're coming off a car like the Z06 it will feel sluggish in comparison. Or at least less beastly. But even if you've driven a faster car before but are coming off of something like a 94 Jetta (Sold all of my other cars) then it feels great to have the speed back again. For a stock car and bang for the buck this car simply shines both straight and curvy.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 08:26 PM
EvoM Guru

I'm a former corvette owner.. Yes, from a brutal acceleration point of view.. the Vette was quicker.. but I really hated alot of things about my Corvette.. I'm glad I don't have it anymore, and I'd never get another one.. It was my dream car, but when it became a reality, it was a huge disappointment. Let me be clear about this, the EVO is quick.. Its just not a 12 second car.. It can become one fairly easy.. I have a car that runs 10's in the quarter, and although the EVO isn't as fast, its SMOOTH in its acceleration, which means you are going fast before you realize it.. and its pretty quiet for a performance car.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 09:42 PM

I'm very happy.....bad *** car..no questions asked.
the shifter is a little klunky the first 3 or 400 miles. It brakes in
don't worry. The tranny gets a lot smoother too. I have 700 miles on mine know.......its running great..
brakes are squilling all ready...is this normal..??
don't know..?? never had brembo.
does anyone notice the growling sound when down shifting to 3rd....let the gas off and this growling sound starts, hit the gas and it smoothes out.
Maybe it's just the tranny...
addressing the light issue.......when I turn my lights on they look blue, but wait about 20 or 30 seconds and they fade back to a whitish yellow color. Seems odd.....
the interior adjustment is sweet, everyone I show says its PIMPIN
I've had people tell me it looks like the lexus IS300 on steroids.......

bottom line, nice take off, spools up at 3k nice top end.....
needs ecu upgrade. 18" rims w/ 1" drop.....will be smooth as glass............

whole new stereo definetly......
Old Mar 20, 2003, 09:53 PM

MalibuJack

What year was the vette? I have a 2002 Z06 and it is a lot different than a stock vette and totally different from the old body style.

My GSX has all the goodies (16G turbo, 3" downpipe, cat, cat-back sytem, EVC VI boost controller, tt, ECU upgrade, porting, intake, etc.)

I do love the feel of zipping around in the Evo. I am going to talk with the guys at AMS to see if they can't get me in the high 12's for a few extra bucks. ONe thing I like about this car over my GSX and vette is that it is pretty quiet under acceleration.

Quick Reply: Any new owners dissapointed?