Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

insurance claim heading towards a no christmas

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2005, 06:00 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right, I live under a different address from my dad.. we live in different homes. I think it should all work out, glad to hear all kinds of comments positive or negative I just wanted to know what to prepare for.

By all means I'm trying not to lie about the issue... I really take the subway to work most of the time.. A small percentage of my career requires travel to other cities.

The car is also garaged at his home, so I would think it should be all set.. The lady I was speaking to was asking me all these questions as I would answer her someway she would talk back the opposite of what I was stating.

Example. Where is the car normally garaged?.. I said "Boston" she would state ok.. if you want to garage the car in "Malden" you have to be added on the premium.. I told her its not.. its in "Boston".
Old Nov 23, 2005, 06:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by antonio010
I would think it would be covered nevertheless, but I'm guessing it may be dependant on the insurance company. When my sister was 15 she took my parents car and went joyriding. She got into a huge accident involving multiple cars and I remember insurance covered everything, even paid off my parents car which was deemed totalled. Insurance was under Geico though.

Good luck though!
Your sister has some guts.. when I was 15, I was still sleeping in the same room as my parents because I was convinced something was under my bed..... no just kidding but you know I'm just saying I didn't grow up.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zze86
Just say you were driving it for the day or going to the store. insurance policies usually cover other people driving the vehicle other than the people listed on the policy.
If your father gave you permission to drive the car THAT DAY, then you are likely covered under his policy.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 11:30 PM

Depends on the insurance company. My insurance wouldn't cover your situation. They would have to have you added on as a driver of the car. Even though it is in your dads name and your dad is covered on it he should still be able to add you as another driver. I hope it works out for you but from what I've been told in similar matters you may be out of luck.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 03:46 AM

yep if you are listed as a different address than your dad, then you should be ok. I hope its not Commerce Insurance. They are a pain to deal with. Also, your dad should be filing the claim with his insurance company, not you.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 03:57 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All insurance companies suck the big one. They're run by a buch of motherless f*^#s who make their living on the hard work of others. In my state, IL, it's a government co-opted obligation to carry insurance, which pretty much means that they're licensed by the state to run a pumper up your **** canal every 6 - 12 months when your premiums are due.

It's just another example of how big government and big corporations have failed all of us. Rest assured they will find some way to completely bend you over backwards on this deal. I wonder what it's going to take for people to realize just how much of a fraud the whole racket really is.

If anyone knows of a reasonable insurance company that treats their clients well, please offer the information, because I can testify first hand that Shelter Insurance, who I previously used, is crooked and had sh*&*y service.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 10:58 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Fred Sanford
Depends on the insurance company. My insurance wouldn't cover your situation. They would have to have you added on as a driver of the car. Even though it is in your dads name and your dad is covered on it he should still be able to add you as another driver. I hope it works out for you but from what I've been told in similar matters you may be out of luck.
i can confirm that, it's all depend which insurance company you're using. most big company will cover it (allstate, statefarm, etc...)

if you're using smaller insurance company... you better get the contract out and look carefully on the fine print
Old Nov 24, 2005, 03:06 PM
Evolving Member

yah I got fireman funds, not sure if that's big or not but it maybe just a small insurance company since noones heard of it.

I actually filed the claim because I drove it that day and I would be able to explain the situation better because he doesn't speak much english, infact I deal with most of my fathers financial and insurance issues.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 03:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts
Anyone over 25 can drive my car w/ my permission and be covered but anyone under 25 is not covered
Old Nov 24, 2005, 03:25 PM
Evolved Member

I'm sorry but you don't deserve to have it covered. How could you drive an evo with 17k on the stock advans? ****************************

NAME CALLING COMMENT REMOVED. YOU HAVE A HABIT OF SLINGING OUT ABUSIVE REPLIES. READ THIS AND IT IS YOUR FINAL WARNING.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/announcement.php?f=11

Last edited by Speedlimit; Nov 25, 2005 at 05:17 AM.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by lil'evil_evo
I'm sorry but you don't deserve to have it covered. How could you drive an evo with 17k on the stock advans? You are stupid plain and simple.
I think you burnt your turkey today. Regardless, it was silly/immature/inappropriate to drive the car I'm guessing rather fast on advans in rain, but it does not mean that he should not get the benefit of the doubt.

Just tell insurance that your father asked you drive somewhere to get something and you shouldn't have any problems. If this lady seems to give you a bit of a hassle ask for her manager, etc. or ask for some other adjuster. Good luck, and I hope you realize that sometimes paying the "premium" in the beginning is possibly worth the hassle later if something wrong happens.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lil'evil_evo
I'm sorry but you don't deserve to have it covered. How could you drive an evo with 17k on the stock advans? You are stupid plain and simple.
I respected everyones comments on this thread but don't disgrace me, especially if you don't know me.

17K on the advans?... no actually I don't have the exact mileage on the advans because I've gone through one winter with snow tires and drove possibly 3-4k or so miles on them.

Don't act like you know what my tires look like at this point either.. as soon as I get a chance to see my car I will post plenty of pics and then you will see that these tires were not "bald".. they had little tread on them but figuring there is no snow yet here and its just starting to get cold.. I had it scheduled to change the tires this Saturday. Maybe you should suggest me not to go to work because its raining outside and I have an Evo.. that would be the smart thing to do.

Secondly, I wasn't driving like I stole it when this happen, I was on the speed limit on my way to work. I have driven in rain before and has not been a problem, if it was snowing yah I wouldve stayed home.

Ok... so I don't deserve to have it covered.. how about you go total your car and left in 25k of debt and let's not cover you because your stupid, plain and simple. No I don't know anything about you so I wouldn't speak a comment like that...

What really is insurance for?.. I mean my dad paid for it for 24 years with 3 cars and he's on step 9 with no accidents on his record.. should they give the cash back to my dad?.. I'm sure that will help him pay the rest of the mortgage to his house.

I'm just saying this but insurance is just something good to have.. "incase" something happens.. but should insurance companies really jack prices for young drivers like myself? This is not my first car, I'm not a punk little teenager so do they ever look into that? Prior to this, I have been accident/ticket free for 2 years.

Thanks to all else who have given me something to read while I sob about my car, I'm sure things will work out, we'll just have to wait and see.

Yah happy thanksgiving..

cheers heres my 8th beer for my totaled/damaged Evo.

*edit* haven't talked the lady enough to judge her attitude towards me I guess, but yah if it becomes a problem I will have to try and get another adjuster. Thanks.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 06:21 PM
Evolved Member

Sorry for being so rude on turkey day, all I was trying to say was that is was a stupid choice on your part. It's just that we all pay for mistakes like this since we all drive evos.

I was paying a decent price for insurance on my 03, but now it's high again since I have an 06.

I hate insurance sooooooooo much. Good luck with your claim. Keep us updated.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 06:27 PM
Evolving Member

I know plenty of people that have their insurance with their parents to save on premiums. But they are actually on their parents policy and are insured. From what I am reading... you are not insured on ANY policy. If your dad has full coverage, the insurance will pay it no matter what, but this sounds a bit too close to insurance fraud to me.
Old Nov 24, 2005, 06:46 PM
Evolved Member

did I miss something??? i don't get why you didn't have insurance if your record was clean? you and your father could have been on the policy together.

Quick Reply: insurance claim heading towards a no christmas