Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

insurance claim heading towards a no christmas

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2005, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
insurance claim heading towards a no christmas

Yesterday I crashed my Evo... most of you probably know. Thanks for all the sympathy from all the supporters.

Now I think I may be running into a bigger issue... my claims.. I put in for a claims and the adjuster finally contacted me, she asked me why I was driving the veichle when its my fathers policy and I'm not on it. Back before buying the Evo, I didn't have enough credit to purchase one so ofcourse my loving father put it under his name and his insurance policy.

Now I drive it sometimes but don't have a car listed under my own name which means I don't have insurance.

I'm starting to worry deeply they are going to say we're not going to cover anything because I'm not listed in the policy. It may cause a discrepancy in the claims. Does anyone whos dealt with this issue give me any suggestions or comments on this.

Also this was happening on a really wet day and I had stock advans with 17k miles on them.. they had very little tread on them but was not "bald" yet.. I was getting ready to swap out my winter tires over the coming weekend but obviously now its too late. I made an appointment with a local shop and now I had to call them and cancel and let them know what happened.

Is there a way I can append this surcharge on my insurance by blaming the cause on the weather? If anyone know please give me some steps I should take.

If this is not going to be covered from the insurance and it looks like a total loss, I can only imagine what kind of Christmas I'm going to have set alone the Thanksgiving I'm going to have tommorrow.

Last edited by ev08buoy; Nov 23, 2005 at 02:15 PM.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 02:36 PM
Evolving Member

Just say you were driving it for the day or going to the store. insurance policies usually cover other people driving the vehicle other than the people listed on the policy.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 02:58 PM

I share your pain - a couple of years back, I totaled a 4 runner with less than 100 miles on it (should have been in 4WD! ).

Make sure you can get backing from the police report citing the road conditions.

check your fathers policy - in MA pretty much everyone carries uninsured driver coverage.

good luck
Old Nov 23, 2005, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
damn ,
but doesnt the insurance follow the car , meaning it doesnt matter who drives it , its still being covered?
Old Nov 23, 2005, 03:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by burningmoney97
damn ,
but doesnt the insurance follow the car , meaning it doesnt matter who drives it , its still being covered?
i dont think it does because a few yrs back i had a ticket for driving my friend's car and she had insurance on the car. i also live in dallas.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 03:34 PM
Former Vendor

not all the time.. if my girl drove my car, got into an accident, totaled my car and someone else's, she isnt covered, her ins. will cover her, and the other persons car.. not my car.. so i would be screwed like this guy.. but i get a little cheaper ins.rate for only having my mother or father on it..
Old Nov 23, 2005, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by racerxl99
i dont think it does because a few yrs back i had a ticket for driving my friend's car and she had insurance on the car. i also live in dallas.
depends on the coverage n ur insurance company
Old Nov 23, 2005, 03:37 PM

don't take no sh*&^%T from them!the car is insured it's got to get fixed,that's all there is to it!!!i hate insurance co. you pay them for year's,some thing goes wrong,they try to find an out.what co. is it anyway?
Old Nov 23, 2005, 03:44 PM
Evolving Member

The insurance company is Firemans Funds... all of the people there was nice but the adjuster was being a little shady... she even called the rental stating I should not be allowed to drive the rental unless I pay a premium.

Hopefully all will go well but thanks again for your ideas and comments and maybe soon enough I'll be back in Evo, otherwise another one.

I'm taking most of the action in this issue because my dad doesn't speak much english.. I thought it would be easier this way but I would be pissed if they questioned my pops like that.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 03:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would think it would be covered nevertheless, but I'm guessing it may be dependant on the insurance company. When my sister was 15 she took my parents car and went joyriding. She got into a huge accident involving multiple cars and I remember insurance covered everything, even paid off my parents car which was deemed totalled. Insurance was under Geico though.

Good luck though!
Old Nov 23, 2005, 04:13 PM
Evolved Member

Say anything, say your dad asked you to test drive it to see if it felt wierd.. ANYTHING that works. They will cover you, ask for a different adjuster to come out because the other one is rude. You may get one less shady.

All in all i am friends with an isurence agent and i could ask her what you should do, but it will be pointless because it's different in each and every case. Depending on who you work with and how much of a power trip they are on is pretty much the story of the entire insurance industry.

Cross your fingers, and fight hard. Fight to the death even if they have already made a firm decision, you never know when you might contact the right person.

OH, and LIE!
Old Nov 23, 2005, 04:23 PM

Do you live at the same address as your father? A while back when my son started driving, I had to include him in the policy as an additional driver and pay more to get him covered as he was living with us at the time. Had he lived more than 90 miles away from home, then he is allowed to drive under any other driver category without having to have his name in the policy. This is in California.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 05:06 PM
Evolving Member

I have state farm. My policy covers me, no matter what I drive. If you have the same set up, then your insurance should cover you and the car your driving at the time. This is how they explained it to me. Just have your dad go to them and explain the situation. If they want to keep your business, they will cover this. Best of luck.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If your father had full liability coverage, it does not matter if you were on the insurance or not. They have to cover the accident, assuming that you were driving the car with your fathers permission. Of course, they will likely drop your father afterwards, but either way, the car is insured. I'd tell them exactly that. They are trying to excuse their way out of coverage.
Old Nov 23, 2005, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ev08buoy
The insurance company is Firemans Funds... all of the people there was nice but the adjuster was being a little shady... she even called the rental stating I should not be allowed to drive the rental unless I pay a premium.

Hopefully all will go well but thanks again for your ideas and comments and maybe soon enough I'll be back in Evo, otherwise another one.

I'm taking most of the action in this issue because my dad doesn't speak much english.. I thought it would be easier this way but I would be pissed if they questioned my pops like that.

You are killin' me with this. The adjuster was being shady? Sounds like you were being a little shady as well. You stated that you were pulling a bit of a scam by listing it in your dad's name. I certainly am not trying to be a hater and I hope this all works out for you. I just find it ironic that you hold them to a different standard than you allow for yourself.

Best of luck in this matter.

-J

Quick Reply: insurance claim heading towards a no christmas