Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo VIII owners. Sunroof or NO Sunroof?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2003, 10:35 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
does anyone know WHY gary coleman's parents spent all his money? i feel sorry for him
Old Mar 20, 2003, 10:38 PM
Evolved Member

No sunroof for me.
Old Mar 20, 2003, 11:05 PM
Evolved Member

There's pros and cons to both and for me, I can make myself happy when thinking either way. Looks like mine (which I should be getting next week) is coming with a sunroof (which is different from what I first heard) so I'm cool with that. But you know what annoys me? I sat in a non sunroof evo and was delighted to see the little sunglass holder in the navigation light area as I'm always trying to find a place to quickly store my sunglasses, and it seems the evo's with the sunroof don't have this nifty little feature. Oh well.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 12:43 AM

I am getting my black one here monday or tuesday and it dose not have one why would you want that extra 45lbs :-)
Old Mar 21, 2003, 06:40 AM
Evolving Member

Dang it! They sold the sunroofless Evo as well. If the owner backed out, I would've snatched it in a hearbeat and was leaning towards an Evo without the sunroof. I guess 45lbs kinda makes a difference but prolly just by a hair. Remove the spare and other junk in the trunk and then you'll prolly be close to 70lbs. weight savings. *sigh*
Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:45 AM

Originally posted by YETZ
The 35 lb weight difference does not affect the rigidity or performance of the car whatsoever!

I have a friend in R&D for mitsu in California and he said the car was built with that in mind!
That's good to know. The DSMs with sunroofs creak like crazy compared to the ones without. My 2G DSM with no sunroof and 105k miles has only 1 squeak.

The evo must have some extra bracing in the roof structure that takes over for the loss of bodyshell integrity caused by the sunroof.

That said, I'd still get one WITHOUT the sunroof.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sunroof for me too. I like it because in the summer time my chick can get up and air her boobies out Just kidding, i couldn't resist.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 11:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by bemani
I would go sunroof less for mine ... lighter, cheaper, and tougher
...And more helmet and cage room

Sunroof and Evolution...
Like mixing oil and water.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 07:58 PM
Evolved Member

I think they stole his money because they were white and adopted him...need answers...
Old Mar 21, 2003, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

If you want it to be lighter and are going to make it fast NO sunroof. If you like the wind in your hair get one. Mine does not have one, I wouldn't have it any other way.
Old Mar 22, 2003, 02:44 AM
SOF
Evolving Member

Sunroof = more weight. The Evo is already overweight.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 02:49 AM
Evolving Member

Okay guys.. I picked up my Tarmac Black Evo yesterday.. friday with no sunroof. I really didn't care much about the sunroof option but when I found out it was without sunroof, I was more happier than I anticipated. This car will see the track every now and then and having less weight is a bit of an advantage. Like others said, headroom is increased which makes room for the helmet. Gosh.. I'm loving it and already put 130miles on the odo.
Old Mar 23, 2003, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by SOF
Sunroof = more weight. The Evo is already overweight.
Its NOT just the weight itself - its WHERE the weight is - its in the worst possible place - high up

I noticed the body does flex a lot on a bumpy road - - just stick your finger up on the top of the door window frame and against the body and feel the body flex when you go over some bumpy stuff

If you are getting this car to kick the ***** out f it like a maniac you don't want to roof - - if your a easy driver and more interested in comfort then get the roof

To me at 6'3" I rather not have a roof b/c it takes away too much head room and my helmet would hit when racing
Old Mar 23, 2003, 03:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Regardless of whether I'm gonna buy a, 04 WRX or an Evo VIII, I'm all about the sunroof. Personally, I love them, and I never close mine except when it's raining. I'd rather have that open when venting the car when it's in the parking lot or when I'm on the freeway as opposed to keeping the windows partially opened. And besides, I'm relatively small, so I'm not losing any headroom, and I'm light, so I make up for whatever weight gain a sunroof adds.

As a side note, for some (not all) of the people who complain about how the sunroof adds weight, how much do you guys weigh? I know that some of you ***** are pushing 200+. (Why else do you think Mitsu put in special seats for their U.S.-bound Evos?) No offense, but for anybody who is a bit overweight, exercise more! A lot of people always forget the fact that what matters is the car's test weight PLUS the driver!