Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sad Story.....long post warning...probably worth the read though

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2005, 07:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Lazyfong
I wonder if the Kumbo Ecsta Asx is good enough for a chicago city winter. Reading this thread gives me 2nd thoughts now, what do you guys think?

DO NOT DO IT BRO........its the worst choice ever.....wisconsin winters cant be much different....it was a nerve wrecking 3 hour drive.....if your gonnaa get kumhos just write it on the side of your advans and save $400
Old Nov 25, 2005, 08:12 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The main reason I don't really want to get the Blizzak LM-25's is because they wear out really quick on shoveled roads. Since I live in the city, the snow gets plowed pretty often and couple people say it is overkill for chicago city winters.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

continental conti extremes are the way to go i hear....im probably going to buy some of those
Old Nov 25, 2005, 09:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This is VERY much about the type of winter you have and the type of driving you're looking to do. I'm in Central Illinois and we basically have the same winter as Chicago with just a bit less snow.

If you're going to be driving in and on snow alot you may want more than the Continentals. I've worn them thru 2 winters and they work, don't get me wrong, but if you still have to be plenty careful. If you want more confidence in the slop get a better winter-rated tire.

If you're in an area with a true winter climate you're going to have 2 sets of tires - 2 sets of wheels can make this easier, btw, although more expensive, of course. If you auto-X you can keep your R-rated rubber on a set of wheels and swap the winters on when the season ends. Then you'll want your summer tires - and the Ecsta's are good for that - for the other 9 months of the year.

Again, the Conti-Extreme's WILL WORK you just still have to be a bit conservative. True winter tires will be better.

Yes, the first time an ABS system kicks in for any driver it should scare the crap out of them by how it feels and sounds. That's normal. Just remember, ice is still ice and stopping on it is VERY difficult. ABS doesn't equate to stops-on-ice! Start on the conservative side with your winter driving in your Evo and, when you feel OK about it, the conditions, etc. push the envelope a bit - turning a corner in a 4-wheel spin is fun but it's something to work up to not something to go after without knowing better the limits of the car in the environment it's in.

Hope this helps - Neal at TireRack and any reputable tire dealer with real experience can help discuss the virtues and liabilities of different tires in different conditions. It's really all about what you drive in/on and how you drive.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Nov 25, 2005, 09:40 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
practice driving in snow would help too. go to a parking lot and screw around until you get a good feel for what the tires are going to do. then don't drive fast on snow and ice ever (on public roads). thats the number one rule unless you enjoy wrecking evos. i was able to drive my VW rabbit in snow without any problems with pirelli summer tires though 3 winters without a single problem of running off the road. the evo with AWD, ABS, should be able to do considerably better if driven right.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 09:42 PM
Evolved Member

I agree 110%. I don't go crazy with my Connie's so they work just like he KazzEvo8 said. More consistant aggressive driving in snow/slush needs a winter tire.

Originally Posted by KazzEvo8
This is VERY much about the type of winter you have and the type of driving you're looking to do. I'm in Central Illinois and we basically have the same winter as Chicago with just a bit less snow.

If you're going to be driving in and on snow alot you may want more than the Continentals. I've worn them thru 2 winters and they work, don't get me wrong, but if you still have to be plenty careful. If you want more confidence in the slop get a better winter-rated tire.

If you're in an area with a true winter climate you're going to have 2 sets of tires - 2 sets of wheels can make this easier, btw, although more expensive, of course. If you auto-X you can keep your R-rated rubber on a set of wheels and swap the winters on when the season ends. Then you'll want your summer tires - and the Ecsta's are good for that - for the other 9 months of the year.

Again, the Conti-Extreme's WILL WORK you just still have to be a bit conservative. True winter tires will be better.

Yes, the first time an ABS system kicks in for any driver it should scare the crap out of them by how it feels and sounds. That's normal. Just remember, ice is still ice and stopping on it is VERY difficult. ABS doesn't equate to stops-on-ice! Start on the conservative side with your winter driving in your Evo and, when you feel OK about it, the conditions, etc. push the envelope a bit - turning a corner in a 4-wheel spin is fun but it's something to work up to not something to go after without knowing better the limits of the car in the environment it's in.

Hope this helps - Neal at TireRack and any reputable tire dealer with real experience can help discuss the virtues and liabilities of different tires in different conditions. It's really all about what you drive in/on and how you drive.

Good luck and have fun!
Old Nov 25, 2005, 09:43 PM
Evolving Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA 15 Amish men came out of the shadows and began digging your car from the snow. I can just picture that.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 09:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by enigma94
thank god for arizona.
+1 lol
Old Nov 25, 2005, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

the amish men does amuse me, but its glad to see that they were willing to help you out. glad your ok! just looking at the pictures from your accident makes me sick. Hope things go better for you!
Old Nov 25, 2005, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by laakness
Yes, the ABS sounds like you are grinding gravel into sand It kicked in on me a couple of times today.

I have the Continental Extreme Contacts and I think they do quite well in the snow for all season tires. Got them when I bought the car based on Fireball's recommendation as well as EvoJo's.

I guess I don't feel the roads are bad enough long enough in Milwaukee to warrant full snow tires. Everything is plowed by the next morning if not while it's happening.

Glad you're ok Honni.
I have the Continental Extreme Contacts too. I forgot why I went with them, but I think it was several people's recommendations.... Anyway, I doubt that I'll be in the snow very much as it does not snow much in Atlanta (once or twice every few years with a occasional heavy accumulation). Anyways, I'm glad to hear the Contis are OK. I was begining to have my doubts... I just put them back on for the third season. They do seem to last OK. They are fine for regular cold weather driving and they seem to be OK in the wet road. For sure the stock Advans suck in the cold, moist days of winter...
Old Nov 25, 2005, 10:18 PM

Honesly, I think Evo w/ Winter tire is a little too much for the Chicago's weather. 6 inces or plus is rare in Chicago nowadays. Also the main reason I chose my Kumho ASX was the PRICE and Long Tread Life. Today, we had the first big snow(around 2-3 inches) and my EVO with ASX performed really well. I couldn't be happier. In addition, you should not drive fast on snow just because you have a Snow tire.

If you are faced with 6inches or more snow in regular basis, Snow tire is a Must.

Last edited by skang5; Nov 25, 2005 at 10:24 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 10:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by evo4g63awd
the amish men does amuse me, but its glad to see that they were willing to help you out. glad your ok! just looking at the pictures from your accident makes me sick. Hope things go better for you!
What pictures?
Old Nov 25, 2005, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by BlueBlurSTi
you should get some blizzaks, they work really well on ice and snow.
Thankfully, there's no snow here in Southern California to speak of (except in the mountains) but I've ridden in my buddy's STi with Blizzaks while back east. Impressive set of tires. I'm too chicken **** to ever drive like that in snow though...
Old Nov 26, 2005, 02:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
should gotten these http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....del=ECSTA+R700
Old Nov 26, 2005, 03:34 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by cloudy
What pictures?
+1.....i would like to see