Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Sad Story.....long post warning...probably worth the read though

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2005, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sad Story.....long post warning...probably worth the read though

the past 2 days have sucked...i bought some kumho ecsta ASX allseason tires in hopes of them being good for winter...it turns out they are probably no better than the stock advans.

yesterday i drove up north for a family get togeather (my aunt lives on a farm in the middle of nowhere) and after i ate i decided to go for a drive seeing that it started to snow a little.....well a dog runs into the road and i move over to the oncoming lane to avoid hitting the idiot. i then slid into the verry shallow yet snowy ditch on the side of the road where i was stuck...i tried everything i could and my cousins and i could not get my evo out...the cars frame was resting on the snow and the snow was extremely mushy so we tried to dig it out a bit....nothing worked...

30 minutes later an amish guy stops with a horse and buggy and volunteers to help and goes down this little dirt road we were infront of....he comes out with mabye 15 amish men with shovels who started to dig me out but the car was still stuck on the snow so one of them pulls a huge rope off of his horse and ties it to my rear bumper tow hook and they all started to pull while i was reversing......amazingly all of them managed to pull me out....after that i gave 3 of them a ride home and they were hooting and hollering the whole way home..

then today i was coming home and as soon as i got to the interstate the snow started coming down like crazy....people were sliding off of the road left and right, accidents everywhrere it was just crazy.....the freeway was shut down to one lane for quite some time and after that i needed some more gas so i got off on the next exit and went to the mobile where i entered the lot doing 15 but managed to slide and barely scrape my front bumper on a huge snow covered rock which made me furious....it should buff out fine though. get some gas and im back on my way....i get cut off by a cavilier with a bold on aluminum spoiler and altezzas so i hit the brakes a little and started to slide...the car went left, right, then left again before i got it steady (this was going 50 in traffic)....the ACD helped but those wheels just suck....

i guess thats the end of my story ....but i have one question, is the ABS supposed to sound like $h!t when it kicks in? ive never had it on any other vehicle before and it sounded like something was grinding/scraping...

anyways thanks for reading my big dumb post

watching amish men pull an evo is funny stuff though
Old Nov 25, 2005, 06:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
you should get some blizzaks, they work really well on ice and snow.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 06:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dude, just be grateful you didnt wreck it badly. No offense, but you should gotten some real SNOW tires. The Michellens are wonderful from what I've heard. BTW, I would **** a brick if I saw some Amish guys trying to pull out an EVO! ROFLMAO!!!!

~fred
Old Nov 25, 2005, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

after that i gave 3 of them a ride home and they were hooting and hollering the whole way home.. Hahahaha.. You should really get some snow tires. I like the Michellin Snow Sport M3.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 06:24 PM
Evolved Member

No Doubt! Everyone who lives in an area where snow is likely should run All Weathers of some sort. Cheap insurance when you consider the number of guys that seem to have lost control while driving resposibly.

I finally put some Verdestein's (sp?) on mine.

The first time it snowed out here I still have the Advans on the car. I was sitting at a stop sign and began sliding sideways into the intersection while I still had my foot on the brake and the car out of gear. Granted it was icy out, but that ended up being the longest 25 mi home that I can remember.

Last edited by nirvevo; Nov 25, 2005 at 06:27 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 06:28 PM

thank god for arizona.

I would of loved to see them pulling that car out of the ditch though!
Old Nov 25, 2005, 06:28 PM
Evolved Member

yeah im either going to store the evo and drive my base lancer or buy blizzaks
Old Nov 25, 2005, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

wow those amish guys must be strong ... haha ... they probly didnt know what a evo was haha
Old Nov 25, 2005, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

I got to test out my michelin pilot alpin2's for the first time yesterday and i love them. If I was you I would definetly switch to a dedicated snow tire especially since you are so far north....
Old Nov 25, 2005, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Yes, the ABS sounds like you are grinding gravel into sand It kicked in on me a couple of times today.

I have the Continental Extreme Contacts and I think they do quite well in the snow for all season tires. Got them when I bought the car based on Fireball's recommendation as well as EvoJo's.

I guess I don't feel the roads are bad enough long enough in Milwaukee to warrant full snow tires. Everything is plowed by the next morning if not while it's happening.

Glad you're ok Honni.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 06:48 PM
Evolving Member

Sorry for your bad luck....Hey I know the answer to all your problems......
..Move...to ARIZONA
Originally Posted by Honni414
the past 2 days have sucked...i bought some kumho ecsta ASX allseason tires in hopes of them being good for winter...it turns out they are probably no better than the stock advans.

yesterday i drove up north for a family get togeather (my aunt lives on a farm in the middle of nowhere) and after i ate i decided to go for a drive seeing that it started to snow a little.....well a dog runs into the road and i move over to the oncoming lane to avoid hitting the idiot. i then slid into the verry shallow yet snowy ditch on the side of the road where i was stuck...i tried everything i could and my cousins and i could not get my evo out...the cars frame was resting on the snow and the snow was extremely mushy so we tried to dig it out a bit....nothing worked...

30 minutes later an amish guy stops with a horse and buggy and volunteers to help and goes down this little dirt road we were infront of....he comes out with mabye 15 amish men with shovels who started to dig me out but the car was still stuck on the snow so one of them pulls a huge rope off of his horse and ties it to my rear bumper tow hook and they all started to pull while i was reversing......amazingly all of them managed to pull me out....after that i gave 3 of them a ride home and they were hooting and hollering the whole way home..

then today i was coming home and as soon as i got to the interstate the snow started coming down like crazy....people were sliding off of the road left and right, accidents everywhrere it was just crazy.....the freeway was shut down to one lane for quite some time and after that i needed some more gas so i got off on the next exit and went to the mobile where i entered the lot doing 15 but managed to slide and barely scrape my front bumper on a huge snow covered rock which made me furious....it should buff out fine though. get some gas and im back on my way....i get cut off by a cavilier with a bold on aluminum spoiler and altezzas so i hit the brakes a little and started to slide...the car went left, right, then left again before i got it steady (this was going 50 in traffic)....the ACD helped but those wheels just suck....

i guess thats the end of my story ....but i have one question, is the ABS supposed to sound like $h!t when it kicks in? ive never had it on any other vehicle before and it sounded like something was grinding/scraping...

anyways thanks for reading my big dumb post

watching amish men pull an evo is funny stuff though
Old Nov 25, 2005, 07:01 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by laakness
Glad you're ok Honni.

thanks brah
Old Nov 25, 2005, 07:07 PM
Evolved Member

yup the abs is working just fine, all systems sound like that, the grinding and crunching and scrapping is fine. btw nice recovery.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 07:26 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I wonder if the Kumbo Ecsta Asx is good enough for a chicago city winter. Reading this thread gives me 2nd thoughts now, what do you guys think?

Last edited by Lazyfong; Nov 25, 2005 at 07:31 PM.
Old Nov 25, 2005, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

all Kumho tires were rated last in all seasons besides dry straight away driving. I have kumho's on my car and i feel kind of iffy now, when i read it at our local Discount Tire store.