Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

drift xperts

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2005, 05:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy drift xperts

i was in on a CLOSED/ABANDONED ROAD so my friends and i were messing around with their bikes and our cars. but anyways, i was at this corner around 60 mph and the car started drifting. this was my first experience for an AWD car drifting so i'm not very familiar how to control it. i was drifting with my preveiws car before and it was RWD. anyways after the car started going sideways i lifted my foot off the gas a lil bit so i won't loose control completely and started to correct it. it took me a few moments to correct my car. so i'm just asking if anyone actually are AWD drift experts in here that could help me, coz i's so different from RWD. pls. no stupid comments pls. just serious answers. thanx
Old Nov 26, 2005, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Well, letting your foot of the gas sort of prevents you from spinning out. Its more fun if you floor it and then counter steer. Thats what I was doing last night. This cars grip is crazy in the snow. For me its all about countersteering and flooring it. Remember don't be afraid to do things. I was last night too but I got used to it. Now in RWD, you would spin out but not in the evo. I was going about 40 mph drifting around those light posts ON STOCK ADVANS!!! It takes time to learn how to control the car. Just spend some quality time with your car in the snow. It'll help a lot. Trust me, once you start drifting with this thing, you won't want to stop. I hope that answered your question.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 08:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
lots of throttle control but not full out. you gotta play with it and use heal toe and all the basic drift techniques. just practice man
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on how fast you go into a turn a throttle lift can make you slide just as much as mashing the brakes a bit.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:40 AM

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts
i agree with 4tun8. lifting off the throttle will tranfer more weight to the front of the car. then again mashing the gas all out will transfer more weight to the rear, and depending on the amount of counter steer, will cause u to over correct and send u into slide in the other direction. listen to ur car. unless u are 'hamfisting it,' don't upset the balance of the car and it will tell u what its doing. it will not all of a sudden break traction or send u sliding.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:43 AM

^^ nice answer. Generally staying on the throttle should keep the weight transfer towards the rear of the car. Letting off the throttle will cause weight transfer to the front of the car. This is generally speaking. Play the throttle see how the car reacts but don't make huge adjustments be smooth. MuslimEvoFreak seriously use your 5000 to go to driving school it will be the best investment of your life and may even save it. Not meant as flame since I semi agree with your post. It sounds like SushiSamurai was on dry asphalt while you were on snow though.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 4TUN8
Depending on how fast you go into a turn a throttle lift can make you slide just as much as mashing the brakes a bit.
exactly...

i can't believe you guys are sayin' what you're sayin'...

Originally Posted by roro4g63
i agree with 4tun8. lifting off the throttle will tranfer more weight to the front of the car. then again mashing the gas all out will transfer more weight to the rear, and depending on the amount of counter steer, will cause u to over correct and send u into slide in the other direction. listen to ur car. unless u are 'hamfisting it,' don't upset the balance of the car and it will tell u what its doing. it will not all of a sudden break traction or send u sliding.
what should you do if you hit dirt at high speed?

Originally Posted by stevo_mr
^^ nice answer. Generally staying on the throttle should keep the weight transfer towards the rear of the car. Letting off the throttle will cause weight transfer to the front of the car. This is generally speaking. Play the throttle see how the car reacts but don't make huge adjustments be smooth. MuslimEvoFreak seriously use your 5000 to go to driving school it will be the best investment of your life and may even save it. Not meant as flame since I semi agree with your post. It sounds like SushiSamurai was on dry asphalt while you were on snow though.
when you get a tuned suspension, if it's setup correctly... you have to drive the evo very "brave" as in you mustn't ever let up in turn... just mash it and pray... lifting will set you in a spin quickly.

Last edited by trinydex; Nov 26, 2005 at 01:33 PM.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by SushiSamurai
i was in on a CLOSED/ABANDONED ROAD so my friends and i were messing around with their bikes and our cars. but anyways, i was at this corner around 60 mph and the car started drifting. this was my first experience for an AWD car drifting so i'm not very familiar how to control it. i was drifting with my preveiws car before and it was RWD. anyways after the car started going sideways i lifted my foot off the gas a lil bit so i won't loose control completely and started to correct it. it took me a few moments to correct my car. so i'm just asking if anyone actually are AWD drift experts in here that could help me, coz i's so different from RWD. pls. no stupid comments pls. just serious answers. thanx
I came from an ae86 into the evo, having all four wheels sliding is definitely....different, takes some getting used to. Was thinking of maybe putting in a spin turn knob in the e-brake for winter