Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Smashed up the Evo front, should i upgrade intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by F&I-EVO
Thanks guys, what about just getting diff pipes and stay with the stock FMIC?
I think it would be a mistake to purchase a stock FMIC instead of a nice upgraded one. Pipes aren't important. Only the LICP helps, so go ahead and get that, but don't upgrade the upper pipes unless your stock ones were damaged or unless whatever FMIC you get already comes with a set.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 09:33 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What about the IC PIPES will they fit on a stock car (box, battery...)????????????????????
Old Nov 26, 2005, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

TY warrtalon
Old Nov 26, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolving Member

Warrtalon, what one would you get if you were me?

My Insurance is paying $721 for FMIC and $166 and $152 for pipes. So i have to be under that budget!
Old Nov 26, 2005, 09:39 AM
Evolved Member

Nisei FMIC if it's still $695 and the AMS LICP for $170. If your stock upper IC pipes are damaged, then take your choice of the many IC pipe kits out there (AMS, Buschur, Helix, Injen), but if your stock pipes are fine, I'd use the money on an MBC+gauge.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 09:48 AM
Evolving Member

I just received my car back 2 weeks ago from the shop after a minor accident. I replaced the IC with an AMS and the radiator w/ a Koyo. My mods are: 3" TB, Walbro 255, Custom Dynoflash, Hallman MBC, and K&N Drop-In. I definitely feel more pull up top. I did notice a loss of boost, about 1-2 psi the 1st few days, however, without any adjustment, it is back to my original setting. The AMS looks SICK!!! The Koyo is such a tight fit. I would not recommend it unless you are planning on road racing.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well guys, i put my evo in the ditch 2 nights ago (brambos couldn't stop fast enough). So its in the shop getting fixed by my insurance. My question is should i upgrade my intercooler and pipes? My car has TBE and FLASH thats it. Is it worth it or should stay with stockers? Would i need a REFLASH?
Your "brambos" couldn't stop you? Wouldn't matter if the brakes were Stop-Tech, Brembro, or any other type of brakes. Losing control = too fast for conditions, whether those conditions mean you need better brakes, or the pavement is wet. I can promise you won't be the last guy to post this winter saying that you cracked up your evo. Hell, I might be on posting it, just don't blame the brakes.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 4TUN8
Your "brambos" couldn't stop you? Wouldn't matter if the brakes were Stop-Tech, Brembro, or any other type of brakes. Losing control = too fast for conditions, whether those conditions mean you need better brakes, or the pavement is wet. I can promise you won't be the last guy to post this winter saying that you cracked up your evo. Hell, I might be on posting it, just don't blame the brakes.
I didn't blame the brakes you fool, its another way of me saying i was going too fast and could not stop fast enough (my fault). Im not stupid, i know if the brambos can't do it nothing will.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:36 AM
Evolved Member

I didn't blame the brakes you fool, its another way of me saying i was going too fast and could not stop fast enough (my fault). Im not stupid, i know if the brambos can't do it nothing will.
Ok, he just pointed out the mistake, but then you did it again. They are called BREMBOS.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:44 AM
Evolving Member

What about the IC PIPES will they fit on a stock car (box, battery...)????????????????????
anyone
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:48 AM
Evolved Member

anyone
Starting to get annoying here. Don't keep responding to yourself and asking more and more questions when you can find this stuff out with a little of your own research or from talking to the vendors themselves. You can't expect us to do all the work for you. Different IC kits fit with different FMICs. Some fit the stock FMIC, some only fit the associated aftermarket FMIC, some fit the stock battery, some only fit with a mini-battery. I already suggested AGAINST upgrading the upper IC pipes unless your stock ones are actually damaged, but you didn't answer that. If you HAVE to upgrade your upper IC pipes, then go look at different kits and decide for yourself. Do a little of your own research. I have pointed you in the right direction to find the info, but you have to do some work now. Go look up Buschur, Nisei, AMS, and Helix for FMIC/pipes/mini-battery.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:28 AM
Evolving Member

would a Intercooler kit void your warranty?
Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:33 AM
Evolved Member

would a Intercooler kit void your warranty?
You have a 2003 with no more than a 3yr/36k warranty, which means there's almost nothing left (at best), and you already have mods that normally cause warranty denial.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Ok, he just pointed out the mistake, but then you did it again. They are called BREMBOS.
I've got some "Brambos" on my 2004 Mitsubishi Galant LS!

Old Nov 26, 2005, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
If you didn't know, the "why not" is because it's not advisable to use a larger FMIC on the stock turbo, especially without enough mods to make use of it. You don't really see any performance gains, and in some cases, you can see performance losses due to an FMIC that is too large.
a bigger fmic is not going to hurt performance, the peak torque might drop 1-2ft-lbs but as was stated above, usually from the fmic that were mentioned whp gains of 10-15 on stock turbos with minimal mods are expected.