Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

How much to repaint my car?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2005, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, I wouldn't touch an Evo that had a repaint. No way, no how.

I think it would ruin the value of your car.

Jim
Old Nov 26, 2005, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jhodel

Jim
I though the paint job on our cars were ruined from the factory. My paint job is basicly ruined after 1year and 15k miles.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Jhodel

Jim

I dont see how custom paint will hurt the value of your car if anything I think it would make it more desireable
Old Nov 26, 2005, 06:06 PM
Evolving Member

I guess it just depends on how fussy you are. And, what is a 'custom' paint job?

Jim
Old Nov 26, 2005, 07:05 PM
Evolving Member

I guess it just depends on how fussy you are. And, what is a 'custom' paint job?
I think he just means he wants a different color and most likely a two stage paint job.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 10:44 PM
Evolving Member

By two stage do you mean base coat and clear coat?

All I'm saying about the value of the car, is that a cheap paint job will reduce the car's value. Of course, if the paint is shot all ready (which shouldn't happen on a new car), the value is shot too, especially for a $25,000 Evo.

A good paint job is especially important on a color change as it is very difficult to repaint the door jams, engine compartment ,and the under side of the hood/trunk lid etc. If those procdures are not performed on the repaint, the car will go down in value.

Jim
Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:01 PM
Evolving Member

From the factory, the EVO's come with a single stage (no clear coat). By two stage, yes, I ment BC/CC (Basecoat/Clearcoat). This would be an improvment over the factory paint if a COMPLETE paint job is done. This means jambs, engine bay, everything.
A good paint job is especially important on a color change as it is very difficult to repaint the door jams, engine compartment ,and the under side of the hood/trunk lid etc. If those procdures are not performed on the repaint, the car will go down in value.
You are right, no doubt, I believe that he want to get a good paint job. At least I hope so.

This is for Aston13, when you said metalic, are you talking about a stock metalic color, or are you thinking of adding metal flake to a custom color?
Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:04 PM
Evolving Member

repaint price in LA is cheap due to the labor here is cheap. most of the time we can ask for half of the labor that was charged on the bill.

someone crashed my girl's corolla, left front with left mirror, everything replaced with new parts and paints matched + 1 year warranty for only $450 including tax. the finish was great, paints was A grade too. insurance qouted $1500.

well I think its depends on the Area you live, and I think its ok if you wanna repaint your evo. Custom paint job is needed coz the dealership paint sucks.

my 2cp
Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by gsrboi80
I dont see how custom paint will hurt the value of your car if anything I think it would make it more desireable
Nope. Custom paint always lowers the price of the car. Why? Because most people end up repainting and try doing it on the cheap instead of paying the $8,0000-$10,000 that it should cost.

Spend that kind of cash. Keep receipts. Get a paint warranty against fading or paint irregularities, and THEN you should be able to hold value.

Peace
Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:10 PM
Evolving Member

Nope. Custom paint always lowers the price of the car. Why? Because most people end up repainting and try doing it on the cheap instead of paying the $8,0000-$10,000 that it should cost.

Spend that kind of cash. Keep receipts. Get a paint warranty against fading or paint irregularities, and THEN you should be able to hold value.

Peace
i agree 100%. People need to realize as with anything with thier car, and that is done to less then perfection will lower the value of their car.
Old Nov 26, 2005, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Wizeguy9999

Peace

I dont see why paint job cost you 8k to 10k? you might get charge for it but I dont think it worth anywhere near 8k. And if your paint is chipped very bad, then I think a repaint of any kind would boost your resell value.

Most expensive paint job I ever heard was the Veilside Mirror style silver(reflection silver). whole body for 3799 + tax for Toyota supra(forgot about the engine bay or not).

my 2cp
Old Nov 27, 2005, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

depends what kind of paint they use also. My instructor favors sikkens very much, i believe because its very easy to use and is really good quality. I do not know their product line enough to say what kind of paints they have. But I saw some Alsa ( http://www.alsacorp.com/ ) stuff and it was pretty nice and affordable- if you spray it yourself.

Prepping is most important and takes the longest amount of time. w/o a good prep your finish will be crap no matter what.

Are you doing a complete change? or are you wanting something very similar? Because if its simliar i'd just skip the engine bay but still paint the jams.

edit: re-read your original post and see you want a metallic red. I'd suggest a candy of some sort and have your base be black, candy blood is nice. That way you'd get the darker red.

Last edited by aboh6leenz; Nov 27, 2005 at 12:29 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 07:31 AM

Ok, I get it. If you spent 3 grand on a paint job you can talk yourself into the fact that it was a good deal and a good job.

Unfortunately, Good Deal and Good Job are REALLY on two ends of a spectrum.

Personally, I don't think the average car enthusiast understands paint. I've been to plenty of car shows and seen plenty of custom paint jobs, and all I can say is that they don't notice the small imperfections in their paint job.

Last statement: If you are going to keep your car forever, and you can look at a 3 grand paint job and not notice a difference between that and an 8 grand paint job, then don't waste money. If you plan on reselling the car ever, then don't touch the paint at all. If you are unsure, and just want a sick show car quality job, then get ready to lay down ten large.

Peace
Old Nov 27, 2005, 07:43 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks for all the responses. What I mean by custom is the candy apple red AMS Evo (if you guys have ever seen that). I believe, after reading all of your posts, a paint job like that will run me upwards of 5 grand. I would be adding the metallic flakes to the mixture and I would want an extra clear coat to harden up the new paint which will cost me. I never really considered the complexity of the door jams and engine bay, I would need all of these areas covered if I were going to do it. Again thanks for the info, time to save up so the job will get done right.
Old Nov 27, 2005, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

i do not believe they used candy apple red. I think they said it was candy brandy wine or something.