Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: USDM GSR?
Yes.
44.23%
No.
55.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Usdm Gsr?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2005, 04:43 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by burningmoney97
oic
so its a "2003 Lancer Evolution"
did the 03 rs version get the RS after the Evolution?
There was no '03 RS.

Originally Posted by timzcat
When did we start to listen to salesman?
You might be missing out, some of us actually know what we're talking about.

On order sheets "VIII" appeared as the trim name for '03's. It also says it on the cover of the owner's manual. Maybe the floormats too, but I don't remember.

Last edited by GPTourer; Nov 30, 2005 at 07:49 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 04:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO It is in fact a GSR since that is what Mitsubishi calls it in the US Parts program.
GSR has a 6 speed.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 05:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In Japan.... The EVO IX is as follows:

There is the RS which has a five speed and magnesium turbine (supposed to be the fastest/most torque)

There is the GSR which is a 6 speed and has basically all the options/features of the US MR essentially it is what the US MR IX is. (Japan doesnt have an IX MR)

There is also the GT. This is basically the street version. I'm not sure if it has the six speed or five speed. It doesnt have the Bilsteins, or the lighter rivetted roof or even the BBS wheels that the Japan model GSR has. It is a lot like the standard US EVO IX. --The one you guys are calling the "GSR".

Perhaps you should be calling the standard evo IX the "GT"?

just my .02....
Old Nov 30, 2005, 05:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by timzcat
IMO It is in fact a GSR since that is what Mitsubishi calls it in the US Parts program.
If this is true (which I'm sure it is), then IT IS A GSR.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 07:38 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
'Tis true.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:48 AM
Evolved Member

On the new EVO IX's the GSR is the only one with a six speed transmission. Have proof right here in front of me. A Lancer Evo Brochure from a Japanese Showroom.
Will post pics next week when i get my scanner back.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by snowmants
In Japan.... The EVO IX is as follows:

There is the RS which has a five speed and magnesium turbine (supposed to be the fastest/most torque)

There is the GSR which is a 6 speed and has basically all the options/features of the US MR essentially it is what the US MR IX is. (Japan doesnt have an IX MR)

There is also the GT. This is basically the street version. I'm not sure if it has the six speed or five speed. It doesnt have the Bilsteins, or the lighter rivetted roof or even the BBS wheels that the Japan model GSR has. It is a lot like the standard US EVO IX. --The one you guys are calling the "GSR".

Perhaps you should be calling the standard evo IX the "GT"?

just my .02....
Like i said. pics of each page will eb up next week
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:36 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Evo_Kid
Here's a screen capture from Mitsubishi's CAPS program (Computerized Automated Parts Search - program the dealers use.)

'nuff said.
Attached Thumbnails Usdm Gsr?-wincap-usdm-evo-selection-screen_c.jpg  
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EvoGLH
Here's a screen capture from Mitsubishi's CAPS program (Computerized Automated Parts Search - program the dealers use.)

'nuff said.
it looks like an internet guy wanted to make it easier to differentiate the models and added the gsr. he probably didnt have a clue on the different trims and asked one of the dealers who told him wrong.

but if show me where us mitsubishi refers the car to being called a "gsr" either on the window sticker, owners manual, or even on their website and i will believe in the usdm gsr name.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:25 AM
CGs
Evolving Member

A little off-topic (sorry), but do all Japanese Evo 8s have a 6-speed -- or is it an optional feature??
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:36 AM
Evolved Member

A little off-topic (sorry), but do all Japanese Evo 8s have a 6-speed -- or is it an optional feature??
GT is a 5 speed.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:41 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 05ES
On the new EVO IX's the GSR is the only one with a six speed transmission. Have proof right here in front of me. A Lancer Evo Brochure from a Japanese Showroom.
Will post pics next week when i get my scanner back.
Okay fine, but we've been talking about VIII's for the most part.

it looks like an internet guy wanted to make it easier to differentiate the models and added the gsr. he probably didnt have a clue on the different trims and asked one of the dealers who told him wrong.
How ridiculous. Like the people who make CAPS call the dealers and ask them about anything. We are supposed to report errors, so I guess I'll put in a request on your behalf that it should be changed because this guy on a forum says so.

Also, it says GSR in CAPS for "IX's" that aren't RS or MR.

Last edited by GPTourer; Nov 30, 2005 at 11:48 AM.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:22 PM
Evolving Member

but if show me where us mitsubishi refers the car to being called a "gsr" either on the window sticker, owners manual, or even on their website and i will believe in the usdm gsr name.
Wow, burningmoney97, such hate...

Mitsubishi put the GSR designation into their software program to make it easier & less confusing for their dealers to differentiate between the various versions, at least for the purpose of looking up proper part numbers.

Call up your local dealer & ask them to look up a part for you, but don't give them your VIN (preferable to go in person for all those 'doubting Thomas'-types, but not everyone has a dealer nearby.)
Ask them to read you verbatim what the vehicle name code (No.=9, code=40E, rep model=C5-/CA-/CJ-/CS#, vehicle name=Mirage/Lancer), model code (no.=15, code=CT9A, description=2000turbo/4WD(sedan)<01M->), and classification codes are.

Try it, then see who truly is the huikau hupo...
Old Nov 30, 2005, 01:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Impulsoren
There is no such thing as a USDM Evo at all. They are all made in Japan.

Domestic market cars are made in the country that you are referring to. USDM cars are Chevys, Fords, Dodges, and a few imports.
Wow really pays to be a newbie, anything that is sold or distributed to the U.S. is a USDM
Old Nov 30, 2005, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 05SilverEvoVIII
Wow really pays to be a newbie, anything that is sold or distributed to the U.S. is a USDM
Yeah, otherwise, the late F-bodies would have been considered CDM, since they were all made in Canada, haha.

Quick Reply: Usdm Gsr?