Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central
View Poll Results: USDM GSR?
Yes.
44.23%
No.
55.77%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Usdm Gsr?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2005, 01:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snowmants
In Japan.... The EVO IX is as follows:

There is the RS which has a five speed and magnesium turbine (supposed to be the fastest/most torque)

There is the GSR which is a 6 speed and has basically all the options/features of the US MR essentially it is what the US MR IX is. (Japan doesnt have an IX MR)

There is also the GT. This is basically the street version. I'm not sure if it has the six speed or five speed. It doesnt have the Bilsteins, or the lighter rivetted roof or even the BBS wheels that the Japan model GSR has. It is a lot like the standard US EVO IX. --The one you guys are calling the "GSR".

Perhaps you should be calling the standard evo IX the "GT"?

just my .02....
In Japan, the GT is basically the same car we get in the US. 5spd, ACD, no sAYC, blah blah. We should use GT now. Even on the 8s. ;p my .02 also.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GPTourer
We are supposed to report errors, so I guess I'll put in a request on your behalf that it should be changed because this guy on a forum says so.
lol - i would give it a try and see what they say

Originally Posted by EvoGLH
Mitsubishi put the GSR designation into their software program to make it easier & less confusing for their dealers to differentiate between the various versions, at least for the purpose of looking up proper part numbers.
thats why i thought ^^. its not saying that the car you bought is a GSR. its just a way to differentiate the different models.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 02:04 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by burningmoney97
lol - i would give it a try and see what they say
No. I guess I didn't sprinkle of enough sarcasm on that post.
thats why i thought ^^. its not saying that the car you bought is a GSR. its just a way to differentiate the different models.
I guess we really aren't driving Evos then if that is how you look at things, because they aren't the same as the JDM cars. Mitsubishi can call it whatever they want, it is a USDM GSR. They don't have to meet your expectations to name their car.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 02:11 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by timzcat
Classic. You won't accept that it is a GSR but you will call it an Evo 8 even though it is an Evolution.
Actully MMNA relesaed an ad (some of you may have seen) that was a hudge booklet....well they called the 2003 a Lancer Evolution 8....and in the booket they say something along the lines of " why is it called 8 when there was none before it, becuase in Japan...blah blah blah" so infact Mistu does call it the Evolution 8.....ill find the ad at my house and scan it.

Originally Posted by Impulsoren
There is no such thing as a USDM Evo at all. They are all made in Japan.

Domestic market cars are made in the country that you are referring to. USDM cars are Chevys, Fords, Dodges, and a few imports.
if im not mistaken 2% (or somthing like that) of the Evolution was made in the US...it comes on the sitcker...check it out....as my for my car the 2003 Lancer OZRally is 100% Japense parts and it is assemblemed in Japan and shiped over as a whole car.

Last edited by Lancerguy'03; Nov 30, 2005 at 02:15 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 02:31 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancerguy'03
if im not mistaken 2% (or somthing like that) of the Evolution was made in the US...it comes on the sitcker...check it out....as my for my car the 2003 Lancer OZRally is 100% Japense parts and it is assemblemed in Japan and shiped over as a whole car.
You are mistaken. There are 100% Evos too. And if if some Lancers have some U.S. Canadian part content, they are still made in Japan. Those parts are shipped to the Mizushima/Kurashiki plant and the cars are completed there. Who knows what those parts are, but I wager that your car does not have a sunroof, no?
Old Nov 30, 2005, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

I guess we really aren't driving Evos then if that is how you look at things, because they aren't the same as the JDM cars. Mitsubishi can call it whatever they want, it is a USDM GSR. They don't have to meet your expectations to name their car.
thats the thing, mitsubishi does not call it a gsr. just cause most people probably do to help differ the models doenst mean that gsr exists in the us.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 02:39 PM
Evolved Member

CAPS = Mitsubishi

CAPS's says GSR = Mitsubishi says GSR.

Why can't you understand that?
Old Nov 30, 2005, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

You are mistaken. There are 100% Evos too. And if if some Lancers have some U.S. Canadian part content, they are still made in Japan. Those parts are shipped to the Mizushima/Kurashiki plant and the cars are completed there. Who knows what those parts are, but I wager that your car does not have a sunroof, no?
i could have sworn i saw a sticker on an Evolution that said 2% parts US..and yes i do have a sunroof...and sticker says 100% Japense Parts and asembled in Japan.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 02:57 PM
Evolving Member

it looks like an internet guy wanted to make it easier to differentiate the models and added the gsr. he probably didnt have a clue on the different trims and asked one of the dealers who told him wrong.

but if show me where us mitsubishi refers the car to being called a "gsr" either on the window sticker, owners manual, or even on their website and i will believe in the usdm gsr name.

You have a point... but I just looked at our parts screen at the dealership and it says GSR... yet nowhere on the sticker does it say GSR? WTFIGO?

I can see how this could be confusing ... Let's just call them Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution GSR VIII's..... lol
Old Nov 30, 2005, 03:08 PM
Evolved Member

CAPS = Mitsubishi

CAPS's says GSR = Mitsubishi says GSR.

Why can't you understand that?
what i can understand is
window stcker = us mitsubishi = no gsr
owners manual = us mitsubishi = no gsr
mitsu's website http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/j...ures_specs.jsp = us mitsubishi = no gsr
gave these guys a call 1-888-MITSU2005 = misubishi = no gsr

i think i will take the 4-1 proof of no gsr, and safely say the title / name / whatever you want to call it is not an official usdm mitsubishi model for the car.

when you come back with some more evidence instead of part system slang title (that was created to help differ the models, not to be the official name), then u can argue a usdm gsr title.

ty, and have a nice day
Old Nov 30, 2005, 03:49 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancerguy'03
i could have sworn i saw a sticker on an Evolution that said 2% parts US..and yes i do have a sunroof...and sticker says 100% Japense Parts and asembled in Japan.
You probably did, I'm not denying that fact - mine says that, 3% maybe. It doesn't mean they transferred production of the car to the U.S. at any time, it just means they got some parts from U.S. suppliers. Like maybe Goodyear tires, a ASC sunroof, Stanley headlight enclosures. I don't know. I've got the SSL package, the MR doesn't. Mine is 97% the '06 MR is 100%. We already went throught this in another thread:

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=170560

when you come back with some more evidence instead of part system slang title (that was created to help differ the models, not to be the official name), then u can argue a usdm gsr title.
How the hell do you know it is "slang" term, created to differ the models? They could have used "base" "VIII" or anything else, but they didn't. I already told you they simply but "VIII" or "IX" on the order forms so make it 5 to 1 on your little score card!

I'm glad you have so much at stake in this that you think I'm going to waste time searching for proof trying to convince you any further. There are a lot of things about Mitsubishi and their cars that don't follow the "proof" system you need to believe anything. If you had as much experience with this company as I do, you'd realize how silly you sound right now. Have it your way.

Last edited by GPTourer; Nov 30, 2005 at 04:30 PM.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 05:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 05SilverEvoVIII
Wow really pays to be a newbie, anything that is sold or distributed to the U.S. is a USDM
Nope, items intended for a domestic market are sold in the same country they are produced in (hence "JDM": produced and sold in Japan). Cars made in Japan but sold in the US are Japanese export market cars, not US domestic market cars, which are produced and sold in the US.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 05:20 PM
Evolving Member

what i can understand is
window stcker = us mitsubishi = no gsr
owners manual = us mitsubishi = no gsr
mitsu's website http://www.mitsubishicars.com/MMSA/j...ures_specs.jsp = us mitsubishi = no gsr
gave these guys a call 1-888-MITSU2005 = misubishi = no gsr

i think i will take the 4-1 proof of no gsr, and safely say the title / name / whatever you want to call it is not an official usdm mitsubishi model for the car.

ty, and have a nice day

I have to agree here! 4-1 is pretty good numbers!
Old Nov 30, 2005, 07:29 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 05SilverEvoVIII
Wow really pays to be a newbie, anything that is sold or distributed to the U.S. is a USDM

Originally Posted by Impulsoren
Nope, items intended for a domestic market are sold in the same country they are produced in (hence "JDM": produced and sold in Japan). Cars made in Japan but sold in the US are Japanese export market cars, not US domestic market cars, which are produced and sold in the US.
Old Jan 5, 2006, 06:45 PM
Evolved Member

How the hell do you know it is "slang" term, created to differ the models? They could have used "base" "VIII" or anything else, but they didn't. I already told you they simply but "VIII" or "IX" on the order forms so make it 5 to 1 on your little score card!

I'm glad you have so much at stake in this that you think I'm going to waste time searching for proof trying to convince you any further. There are a lot of things about Mitsubishi and their cars that don't follow the "proof" system you need to believe anything. If you had as much experience with this company as I do, you'd realize how silly you sound right now. Have it your way.
what surprises me is that its 50 / 50
i would think more people would know that they cant buy gsr in the us

Quick Reply: Usdm Gsr?