Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Started beating on my Evo IX "previous VIII owner"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2005, 08:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Started beating on my Evo IX "previous VIII owner"

Well to start off, I had an 04 VIII with dynoflash/turboXS 3" dp / catdel / catback / hallman mbc at 21psi. Car dyno'd at 284awhp and 292 torque on dynojet at topspeed. Traded it in on my 06 IX mainly because I wanted grey and leather. First day I drained the oil and put in mineral oil. I drove for 500 miles and never went past 3500 rpms, next I drained that out and put back in mobil1 and drove for another 400 miles easy and went upwards of 6500 in the rev's very slowly. I would wind out 1st and 2nd very slowly just to let the motor see the higher rpms. I know people say that all of this is not needed on the evo motor but my 04 dyno'd stock at 217whp, i broke it in slowly to about 500 miles with normal oil. My friend who bought one at the same time as me did the whole mineral oil thing and he put down 243whp on the same dyno. That is why I went this route this time.

Well at 1k miles now, and have been on it pretty good since 900. I have to say this car is freaking amazing. When you hit full boost it pulls very hard and steady all the way to 7200. I have not put this on a dyno yet "will be soon and posting #'s from topspeed," but this thing feels at least as fast as my old one. I would honestly say that I could roast my old one. Im sure its not 280whp stock but just the way this thing is tuned is amazing. Engine for sure sounds different than the VIII. Where my VIII would start to drop off upwards of 6500, this thing gives an extra pull that was just not there on my VIII. I'm sure cams would have taken the advantage on my old one but for being stock it is awesome.

A few differences that I have noticed on my 9 compared to my 8. Everyone says the turbo spools up much earlier than the 8. I have not noticed this. It seems to hit full boost around 3k which was about the same on my 8. I do not have boost gauge yet so I cant tell you psi, it will be here friday, ordered defi bf gauge and controller from gruppe-s. I don't know if the gearing is different for sure but 4th and 5th gear feel a little shorter. I dont know if this is a fact or if the mivec plays some part in the rpms, but at 80mph in my VIII rpms were at 3500 solid, in my IX they are at 3700 so that is an obvious difference right there. Havent taken the acd off of tarmac yet so I can't review on that but the steering is a little different too. When you dig into a short turn really hard, it actually feels like the front tires just dig into the asphalt and yank you into the turn. My VIII did not have this feeling, I would assume this is the LSD on the front creating this feeling. Stock clutch and shifting feel identical to my VIII.

Overall I am very happy with my upgrade, for having the SSL which adds weight and no mods and the fact the car still feels extremely fast makes me happy. I will post psi #'s and dyno #'s next week.

Last edited by an0ther; Nov 29, 2005 at 08:25 AM.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

I didnt even read you're post but people here will flame you for not using paragraphs, remember to use paragraphs nextime, just a friendly reminder. Have a nice day
Old Nov 29, 2005, 08:27 AM
Evolved Member

Your post makes me glad I held out for the IX.
I have not taken mine over 5,000 RPM yet.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 08:28 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
break it in like you stole it, the rings are seated by 10 miles on the car, I dont think anything you do after that will change how much power the car makes
Old Nov 29, 2005, 08:29 AM
Evolved Member

just wondering if you have ever taken a ride in an VIII with cams.. any evo without cams just feels week to me up top.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Well it for sure can't hurt it
Old Nov 29, 2005, 08:32 AM
Evolving Member

yah, I have plenty of friends with cams and their cars feel faster than my 9.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 08:41 AM
Evolved Member

I will be able to have the same report in a few more miles. My evo 8 had HKS 264's.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

great, I want to hear your review too. Does your 4th/5th gear seem shorter too?
Old Nov 29, 2005, 08:46 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by NOLIMITMOTORS
break it in like you stole it, the rings are seated by 10 miles on the car
False. It takes a lot longer than you think to fully seat the rings. If you'd ever built a race engine and done periodic compression tests, you'd know that.

Further, there's a HELL of a lot more to breaking in a brand new car than just seating the piston rings. You've got to break in the clutch, tranny, transfer-case, both LSD's, and even brakes. Beating the **** out of the car might help the piston rings seat a tiny bit faster, but it won't do much good for the rest of the drivetrain.

I would be wiling to bet that some of the clutch failures we see on this board are due to improper bedding in.

Emre
Old Nov 29, 2005, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The tolerances on newer cars are soo on the nuts that a break in period is all but out dated. Brakes only take 6 hard stops, the clutch should be good to go after a few shifts, and all the rest of the parts and pieces are built to function under the most extreme conditions right from the start. Aftermarket breakin periods are only to verifiy you actually put the thing back together correctly. Race motors and factory motors are two completely different animals.

100 miles should be enough to provide you with a feeling that everything is solid and ready to be treated like it was designed to be treated. The EVO was designed to be pounded.
Old Nov 29, 2005, 09:02 AM
Evolving Member

i beat the hell out of my evo after a couple of hundred miles. no problems here except replacing the clutch after countless track runs. now im breaking in the exedy twin. well i havent launched it yet thats all....ANYWAY
GOOD LUCK WITH THAT EVO 9