Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

4WD Vs. AWD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2005, 02:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
4wd means all 4 wheels turn at the same speed with the same power delivered to each wheel. AWD has differentials that allow power to be distributed to the wheel that needs it. This comes into play everyday when making turns. A vehicle in 4WD mode cannot turn without the wheels hopping/chirping, because the inner wheels are traveling less distance than the outer wheels, but they are being forced to go the same speed, so it doesn't work well. On an AWD system, the inner and outer wheels are allowed to spin at different speeds. It is true that you can run 4wd on the tarmac all the time, but the speed is usually limited. That's why many trucks now have 4-high and 4-low. The 4H allows you to drive highway speeds whereas the 4L is designed to only be used at low speed for serious hauling or to get out of some deep mud/sand/etc.
wow, thanks warr.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 05:17 AM
Evolving Member

I'll add something to this. All wheel drive(AWD) is an American term. The rest of the world calls it 4WD. We have some need to feel special and have a special nomenclature.

But the previous descriptions are good.

My info:

Some older trucks actually over drive the front wheels slightly, helps with snow and off-roading. These vehicles you do not want in 4WD on dry road. That will tear up all kinds of things. Most newer truck 4WD systems are a 1:1.

A transfercase is a transfercase, all it does is transfer power. Whether it does it with a gear to gear or chain. As to whether there is a locked center diff, viscous, hydraulic, electronic or manual. Every transfercase does the same thing. Some have a low range, which is a gear multiplication. It's used for where torque is needed, verse wheel speed.

Front and rear diffs can be open, one of the few types of lsd(clutch, torsen, hydraulic, electronic), locker or spool. Each have their pros and cons.

Hopefully that makes sense, drivetrain is such an interesting and mis-understood subject. Correct me if I'm wrong on something. Sorry for any gramatical or spelling mistakes, it was not my strong subject in school.

Ivan

http://www.mitsubishi-cars.co.uk/evolution/features.asp
This lowers the car slightly, improving rear-end stability and enabling the Lancer's electronically-controlled 4WD system to function more effectively.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:05 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lancerguy'03
if im not mistaken Positrac is a fourm of LSD in the rear....but i might be wrong... www.google.com
ya its kinda like an LSD but its solid like welded like both tire spin the speed or direction no matter what strait or in a corner. lsd lets the inside tire slow down so it dosn't squeel when you turn. by direction i mean if the vehicle was off the ground and you spin 1 wheel in the forward direction the other side would spin that direction too not the other way.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:15 PM
Evolving Member

warrtalon ... all i can say is wow ... to explain something that good ... is great ... we all should try a little harder to be like you ... *haha*
Old Jul 9, 2024, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
4wd means all 4 wheels turn at the same speed with the same power delivered to each wheel. AWD has differentials that allow power to be distributed to the wheel that needs it. This comes into play everyday when making turns. A vehicle in 4WD mode cannot turn without the wheels hopping/chirping, because the inner wheels are traveling less distance than the outer wheels, but they are being forced to go the same speed, so it doesn't work well. On an AWD system, the inner and outer wheels are allowed to spin at different speeds. It is true that you can run 4wd on the tarmac all the time, but the speed is usually limited. That's why many trucks now have 4-high and 4-low. The 4H allows you to drive highway speeds whereas the 4L is designed to only be used at low speed for serious hauling or to get out of some deep mud/sand/etc.

this isn’t entirely true as far as i know, 4wd diffs may work differently and don’t allow for as good tight turning high speeds as awd or fuel economy but they aren’t completely inept at turning. Its like that only when you have diff locks on. creating equal power to all wheels by basically deleting the diff all together and I thought 4H/4L was just a change in gear reduction done at the transfer case i could be wrong though.