Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Why No Evos in Rally

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2005, 06:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As for WRC, hasn't Mitsubishi been running a Lancer these past few seasons...not an Evo?

Neither are suitable for offroad use due to ****-poor paint quality. There are probably more used Subarus out there that people are willing to gut and cage.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 07:14 AM

yes, mitsu used the lancer WRC04 then the current WRC05 for the FIA WRC. the last lan-evo that shared almost the same form with the normal lancer/mirage was the lan-evoIV.
here's the lancer WRC05...

it nice to see fabricators creating the same kit for the current lancer, similar to the infamous evo IV kit where it really became a big hit
Attached Thumbnails Why No Evos in Rally-lancerwrc05_04.jpg  

Last edited by 13sinned; Dec 1, 2005 at 07:23 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 07:38 AM
Evolving Member

Subaru's paint also stinks. Don't feel so bad. Check on NASIOC and you'll hear tons of complaints about paint chipping on WRX and STi.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 08:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 13sinned
yes, mitsu used the lancer WRC04 then the current WRC05 for the FIA WRC. the last lan-evo that shared almost the same form with the normal lancer/mirage was the lan-evoIV.
here's the lancer WRC05...

it nice to see fabricators creating the same kit for the current lancer, similar to the infamous evo IV kit where it really became a big hit
I think that's more to do with WRC rules regarding allowed modifications and homologation. So they're running something called a lancer instead. Rather than something called an evo.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Haste
My opinion is solely based on seat time in both cars but I think Subaru's AWD is more capable in the dirt while Mitsu's domain lies on the tarmac. That's fine since dirt doesn't interest me.

That is true, the evo is superior in fair weather conditions in terms of handling, but the sti is better in mud/rain etc. This is again due to its better awd system. The evo's handling is better because of a better steering rack and suspension set up. The sti has the better weight distribution, better awd setup, but inferior suspension setup which is why its handling is not as good out the box.

The evo's acd transfers torque 50:50 and can at a max split it 100:0, the sti can transfer more torque to the rear which can create more oversteer with the proper suspension setup. However the feel of the sti even after modification is not as precise as the evo, so while you might be able to get it to handle as well as the evo, it still wont feel as planted as the evo when pushed to its limits...the evo lets drivers realize its limits better than the sti but the limits of both cars are basically equal.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by x838nwy
I'm not trying to cause anything either, but why would you say it's a better system?

There is a point that it is a more efficient system, but apart form that, I think the evo has the edge.

Mainly cos the torque split that the evo's had for a while is 50:50 but up to '06 Sti's had their split 35:65 but for '06 they changed it to 41:59, close to the evo. Surely there must be some benefit there for them to do it.
I think that he meant it is better for off roading. Also, the STi can be split 35/65 but it can also be changed to 50/50 and anything inbetween. From the reviews that I have read, STis accelerate much better from worse road conditions, and their AWD system feels more at home on the dirt course.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 05:33 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by muzak
I think that he meant it is better for off roading. Also, the STi can be split 35/65 but it can also be changed to 50/50 and anything inbetween. From the reviews that I have read, STis accelerate much better from worse road conditions, and their AWD system feels more at home on the dirt course.
It is possible that it handles poor traction better. However, it is not true that you can adjust the torque split (without serious modifications). The DCCD doesn't do that.

See: http://wallace.as.arizona.edu/~cgrop.../DCCD_FAQ.html
Old Dec 1, 2005, 05:48 PM
Evolving Member

cuz you only one evo to win sti has to try harded to win
Old Dec 1, 2005, 06:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Don't forget, Subaru has made a big push into amateur rally in North America. They've invested heavily in SCCA Pro Rally and offer all kinds of contingency programs, discounts, tech support, etc. The STi and Evo are pretty evenly matched. If Mitsu gave as much support to teams as Subaru does, we'd see more Evos on the circuit.

Emre
Old Dec 1, 2005, 07:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Kayaalp
Don't forget, Subaru has made a big push into amateur rally in North America. They've invested heavily in SCCA Pro Rally and offer all kinds of contingency programs, discounts, tech support, etc. The STi and Evo are pretty evenly matched. If Mitsu gave as much support to teams as Subaru does, we'd see more Evos on the circuit.

Emre
This is true. I think Subaru are looking very seriously at the US market, the introduction of the 2.5L engine is testament to that. The Impreza in Japan and other parts of Asia are 1.5L!!

Rallying and WRC in particular has mainly been a European event in recent years and I think they've done the right thing by putting a lot of efforts in giving really good deals and support to amateur and Gr.N.

On the other hand, Mitsu are not doing so well financially and have vitrually stopped their racing activity. I recall a pretty hefty shift in control of the Ralliart companies around the world which was aimed at reducing costs and ultimately the number of actiities in which they are involved. They have been doing the WRC rather half-heartedly for a few years now and their main focus right now seems to be the Paris-Dakar... and it looks like VW are close to beating them at that.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 08:05 PM
Evolving Member

Please make sure that you are referring to the correct class and series when describing awd systems. The group-n cars in wrc and privateer teams you see racing here and abroad are modified factory units to varying degrees.

The WRC cars that you watch guys like Petter and Seb drive have awd systems/transmissions/engine management that are totally different than our factory, or even dog-box awd systems that lower groups run.

It's a lot of info that I don't feel like typing, but do some research, it is interesting if you like this kind of stuff. You might be suprised at how different the WRC cars are from our production based vehicles.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 07:35 PM
Evolved Member

WRC cars are a lot different to what we've got, that is true. But I think the original question referrs to all leagues, not the WRC where there are as many evo's as impreza's.

I assumed, in discussions ragarding the awd system that we're talking about leagues where the stock setup is used, or lightly modified. There would be little point to compare the really heavily modified system, such as those on WRC cars.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 07:42 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by x838nwy
...and their main focus right now seems to be the Paris-Dakar... and it looks like VW are close to beating them at that.
Close? First is first and a win is a win is a win. Mitsubishi has done that the past five years now. And since '79 have won it four other times. No one else has won more times, they dominate.

Last edited by GPTourer; Dec 4, 2005 at 07:47 PM.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Did I hit a nerve there? Eversince their return with the VW Taureg (or however you spell it), they have been doing rather well. Better and better in fact. Last year, as you may know, they were third, with the mitsus first and second.

Consider it's a race of attrition and the Mitsubishi fielded a lot more cars than anybodyelse. I'd say that this is an achievement. And yes, I think VW will win it sooner or later.

And yes close. I'd call third close. Just because they've won it 5 years in a row doesn't mean they will always win it. That's the whole point of racing.

Anyway, the 2006 dakar will start soon. My money is on VW.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

First off the STI is not alowed in the wrc. Its a 2.5 liter. You cant race a 2.5 liter in the wrc. Only a 2.0 liter. Soooo no sti's in the wrc my friend.

Quick Reply: Why No Evos in Rally