Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

My Comparo of the VIII and the IX

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2005, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Comparo of the VIII and the IX

Hello eveyone, just my ten cents on the two cars. I owned a VIII and now own a IX and personally I feel the changes are notable. First, I must say, that the new cars gearing seems different, I have read the ratios are closer, and I can vouch for that, thus the car seems to pull stronger. I am still braking in the IX, but I like the front Helical limited slip, this to me is probably the best thing they added. The active center dif is cool feature, but its more of a novelty than anything in my book. I am surprised though that my IX did not come with foglights. Seems they are only available on the MR, or the IX with the HID package. Now, on my VIII I hated those lights, seemed I could never adjusted them right. But now, unless you get the package, you get projector type halogen's. Whick to me work better than the HIDs that are adjustable. But no foglights? I don't even see how its an option. So I thought that was kinda wierd. I do like the interior better on the IX. Kudos for Mitsubishi for making it look more expensive. We all didn't buy the Evo for its "richness" but it is nice to have a nice interior on a 30K car. The carbon fiber dash, and leather seats is a nice touch. The new Rims are a nice touch too. The split spoke Enkies look great, and are bright silver instead of a gun metal color my VIII had. All and all I feel there are some notable improvements, Purchase price was 31K vs 28K for my VIII, is there 3K worth of stuff added? Well I know that Helical limited slip is probably wortth that alone, if you include the labor to install it, the active center dif is well, you can't put a price on that, and the new interior I know is worth a bit more. So, yes, I guess the 3K price hike is justafied. I will Keep you all posted. You just have to love the Evo. Someone asked me once (me being a car geek) if there is only one car in the world I could own, what would it be. I looked at him........at said..............I am driving it. Talk to you all later................Jeff
Old Nov 30, 2005, 08:23 AM

Any feelings about the variable valve stuff (mivec?)? Does the car feel like it has more midrange?
Old Nov 30, 2005, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've been driving a IX MR for a week while my friend is in Vegas, and to be perfectly honest, I am not all that impressed. I thought with the 6 speed it would pull as hard as my 2003 with tbe, ebc, and ECU+, but it isn't even close. It also feels lagy to me, but that could be the exhaust. I really don't think it is much faster than my car was stock, but maybe I'm just used to my car now. The MIVEC does sound cool though. I'm sure it will be an awesome car once it gets some mods.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:47 AM
Evolved Member

Well, everyones been saying that they come stock feeling like a 03 with tbe and reflash, and I am sure not feeling it.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EVIL EVO 8
DUH, A STOCK CAR VERSUS,REMEMBER THE IX ONLY HAVE 13 MORE PONEYS SO YOU SHOULD NOT FEEL A DIFFERENCE TO YOURS YOUR PROBABLY PUSHING AT LEAST 30 EXTRA HORSES
*sigh*

Please, for the 100th time, stop posting in ALL CAPS. It is a forum rule that you continually ignore.

As for the difference in power between an 03 and an 06, you are very wrong. Stock 03s dyno around 220-230whp on a Dynojet while IXs have been dyno'ing over 260whp on Dynojets. Mitsu lists the difference at 15hp, but we know that is not factual. The 05s already were dyno'ing 15-20whp higher than the 03/04s, and now the 06s are dyno'ing even higher than the 05s.

The issue here is that the combination of TBE/tune/EBC is good for about 70whp over stock, which would put his 03 around 300whp, which is obviously more than the IX with 260-270whp, so your overall sentiment was correct, but you were way off on the relative numbers.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by dsevo
Well, everyones been saying that they come stock feeling like a 03 with tbe and reflash, and I am sure not feeling it.
Not quite. A well-tuned 03 with boost raised to 20-21psi and a TBE should still be 20-30whp higher than a stock IX.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:56 AM
LSR

Jeffs2006EVOIX, what you are saying is accurate about the car pulls stronger, and gear ratio, etc. The car makes boost sooner due to the MIVEC.

The MIVEC system allows the car to accel easier and make boost sooner. Which will make the car launch with less RPM's over the Evo. VIII.

Let me ask you. Do you have the Best Motoring DVD of the Evo.IX?

In the DVD to show the pro's of the MIVEC, the IX accel easier and make boost sooner. Which will make the car launch with less RPM's over the Evo. VIII. and when the tried to leave using the same rpm's as the IX on the VIII, "the VIII is said to almost bog/stall".

If you go out and buy it. It shows some very good comparisons. It shows 1/4 mile, roll ons, on track race in the wet and more against the WRX STi, spec C, Evo VIII MR, RS EVO, and more.

It show and tells the advantage of the MIVEC and new turbo. It shows the Evo. VIII and IX in a roll on and the IX boost quicker making it quicker in roll-ons and standing 1/4 mile.

But it also shows that due to power coming in sooner that the Evo. IX was harder to drive in the Wet than the VIII due to the quicker boost response.

But with the MR IX was an advantage in the wet due to having the choice of Tarmac, Gravel, and Snow traction choices.

It shows pro's racing in the wet and the Evo.IX just running away from the pack with the use of Tarmac, Gravel, and Snow traction choices.

My $0.02 is that this is the best comparison of the Suburu, the Evo.VIII and the Evo. IX. The DVD is awsome and a must have if you like the Evo.

If anyone that has driven the Evo.IX that has driven the Evo. VIII, and not see this DVD. Can't make or see the comparisons or advantages of the MIVEC with out knowing what it really does. And the is no better info. than hearing it from the Evo. Engineers themselves that speaks on the DVD and do the comparisons.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

LSR - which issue of best motoring? More info please....I would like to own it myself....
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:39 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by dsevo
I've been driving a IX MR for a week while my friend is in Vegas, and to be perfectly honest, I am not all that impressed. I thought with the 6 speed it would pull as hard as my 2003 with tbe, ebc, and ECU+, but it isn't even close. It also feels lagy to me, but that could be the exhaust. I really don't think it is much faster than my car was stock, but maybe I'm just used to my car now. The MIVEC does sound cool though. I'm sure it will be an awesome car once it gets some mods.
great comparison...a modded and tuned XIII you've driven for years vs. a bone stock IX MR you've tested for a couple days.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 10:52 AM

LSR, do you have a link to the place where you can buy that video. I would love to own it.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by LSR
The MIVEC system allows the car to accel easier and make boost sooner. Which will make the car launch with less RPM's over the Evo. VIII.

Let me ask you. Do you have the Best Motoring DVD of the Evo.IX?

In the DVD to show the pro's of the MIVEC, the IX accel easier and make boost sooner. Which will make the car launch with less RPM's over the Evo. VIII. and when the tried to leave using the same rpm's as the IX on the VIII, "the VIII is said to almost bog/stall".
I think you have it the other way round, the video said most of the increased power in the low to mid range comes from the new Turbo due to its enhanced compressor wheel which has an increased diffuser size, revised design and magnesium for the wheel. Apparantly this increases the response of the turbo. This was straight out of the Mitsu engineers mouth ... From what was said MIVEC increased fuel efficiency and emissions but like VTEC I am sure it helps flow in the upper RPMs. The new ECU is probably also a step up and allows a more aggressive tune because it allows the tuners to play with MIVEC settings. I believe it is Nick from Precision tuning that thinks MIVEC is responsible to the early boost but I think its more to do with the turbo. There is still a lot of debate going on about this....

Originally Posted by LSR
It show and tells the advantage of the MIVEC and new turbo. It shows the Evo. VIII and IX in a roll on and the IX boost quicker making it quicker in roll-ons and standing 1/4 mile.
When they tested the EVO9 vs the EVO8, stock the EVO9 shown leaped out in front of the EVO8 in low rpms but once they hit the upper rpms they were dead even (i.e. 9 wasn't pulling away) which agrees with the baseline dynos that David Buscher did, which shows peak HP between and EVO8 and EVO9 to be equal.

Originally Posted by LSR
But it also shows that due to power coming in sooner that the Evo. IX was harder to drive in the Wet than the VIII due to the quicker boost response.
The reason the EVO9 was harder to drive in the slalom was because it was going faster than the EVO 8 and had a tendency for the rear to suddenly break away (oversteer). This is because they lowered the rear springs by 5mm. Cars also have a habit to suddenly doing things in wet and slippery conditions.

Originally Posted by LSR
But with the MR IX was an advantage in the wet due to having the choice of Tarmac, Gravel, and Snow traction choices.

It shows pro's racing in the wet and the Evo.IX just running away from the pack with the use of Tarmac, Gravel, and Snow traction choices.
Acutally this is true for any EVO with ACD.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 12:28 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Jeffs2006EVOIX
Someone asked me once (me being a car geek) if there is only one car in the world I could own, what would it be. I looked at him........at said..............I am driving it.
I've told so many people that I would buy an Evo if I got a paycheck for a million dollars or something. Everyone and their mother say "Ferrari," or something like taht but they are naive. However, the Batmobile (the first movie) is rather enticing, but the gas mileage si probally horrendous.
Old Nov 30, 2005, 01:10 PM
Evolving Member

Tough comparison to compare a modded car vs. a stock car to make a decision on which is better, i would believe to be fair you must compare both as stock or both as modded.

BTW how it the Mivec???
Old Nov 30, 2005, 01:49 PM
Evolved Member

yea i would like to knw if the improvements would be worth the price difference in the 04/05 VII and the 06 IX
Old Nov 30, 2005, 01:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ThunderOZRacer
yea i would like to knw if the improvements would be worth the price difference in the 04/05 VII and the 06 IX
Actually, it's 04 VIII and 05 VIII, but even those are very different and will not cost the same. Simply put, the 05 is worth the extra price over an 03/04, and the 06 is worth the extra price over an 05. I say this with the utmost confidence based on the results we've seen published regarding them all.