Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Extended freeway driving?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2005, 09:49 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fourdoor
Perhaps that is true for the IX, but for the VIII the MR 6th gear has virtually the same mph at 3000 RPM as the non-MR's in 5th gear. The MR's 5th gear split the huge gap we had between our 4th and 5th on the 5 speeds.

Keith
I found the gear ratios for the VIII and it looks like you're right. I updated the plot.

Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:40 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by silvery_eagle
lol... you're like asking if i breathe too much today am i going to have problems?

seriously i dont see any car will break on just measely cruising for a few more hours.. heck i drive up and down in Cali for 9-12 hours each trip non stop except for gas. don't worry too much dude.. except maybe you need to worry about nails on the road.
ok did you breathe too much today? You know its possible you could breathe "too much" hyperventilate and fall down and crack your skull. So the question remains, smart ***
Old Nov 30, 2005, 11:49 PM
Evolving Member

According to the engine builders I have spoken to, the cleanest engines broken down by them were track cars that have never seen RPM's below 3K. At the other end of the stick...There's a reason excessive stop-and-go driving requires more maintenance.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 08:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by binarysleep
According to the engine builders I have spoken to, the cleanest engines broken down by them were track cars that have never seen RPM's below 3K. At the other end of the stick...There's a reason excessive stop-and-go driving requires more maintenance.
Am I screwed cuz I live one mile away from work? I know it's bad, but can someone explain logically how it is bad?
Old Dec 1, 2005, 09:38 PM
Evolved Member

I've driven for 3-4 hours at like 4,500RPMs at about 100ish. I have to drive from Jax to Ft. Laurderdale every now and then. I still get about 24-25MPG, with the cams I will get even more.
Old Dec 1, 2005, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The other evo's with a 6th gear top out pretty much at the same revs the 5 gear evo's do. The top gear ratios are almost the same for both 5 and 6 gear evos.
Hello Captain Obvious, I don't think I ever tried to say that they didn't. I was stating that it would be nice to have an additional gear for highway cruising that would be low rev.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 01:21 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thoe99
Am I screwed cuz I live one mile away from work? I know it's bad, but can someone explain logically how it is bad?
As it was explained to me... mechanical things (engine and drive train in this case) operate best when brought up to "operating speeds" and left there. I put "operating speeds" in quotes because this is a somewhat nebulous term to most non-engineers.

Stop-n-go driving doesn’t hurt your car per se, but it is reasonable to say it wears on your engine and drive train more than highway driving. For most people it's not a big deal.

If you live a mile from work why in the world do you drive?!! Does your car even warm up before you get there?
Old Dec 3, 2005, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It should be no problem...you should see the short gear hondas on the freeway vtec is 200 rpm away at like 80mph hahahah and considering the 4g63 has a better rodstroke ratio than a b16 honda motor that means less force is going against the piston walls..I think the b16 honda is 1.74 and 4g63 is like 1.8 something not sure.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 02:28 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by binarysleep
As it was explained to me... mechanical things (engine and drive train in this case) operate best when brought up to "operating speeds" and left there. I put "operating speeds" in quotes because this is a somewhat nebulous term to most non-engineers.

Stop-n-go driving doesn’t hurt your car per se, but it is reasonable to say it wears on your engine and drive train more than highway driving. For most people it's not a big deal.

If you live a mile from work why in the world do you drive?!! Does your car even warm up before you get there?
I drive cuz it's so much faster than walking. Plus, if I walk, I cross an intersection with 8 lanes of traffic, not so safe with Florida drivers. Yea, the car warms up (water-wise) half way there--the evo warms up pretty fast. I have remote start on my car, so I try to start her up 5minutes before I get in the car, and then I have a turbo timer, so I let it idle another minute before it shuts down. I don't let it get above 3000rpm either. Does that sound pretty safe enough for the car, or should I pre-warm up more and idle more?
Old Dec 3, 2005, 02:40 PM
Evolved Member

3,500 rpms is pretty low,
you should open her up once in a while
Old Dec 3, 2005, 09:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Thoe99
I drive cuz it's so much faster than walking. Plus, if I walk, I cross an intersection with 8 lanes of traffic, not so safe with Florida drivers. Yea, the car warms up (water-wise) half way there--the evo warms up pretty fast. I have remote start on my car, so I try to start her up 5minutes before I get in the car, and then I have a turbo timer, so I let it idle another minute before it shuts down. I don't let it get above 3000rpm either. Does that sound pretty safe enough for the car, or should I pre-warm up more and idle more?
So, you warm up the car for 5 min, drive 1 mile (aprox 1 to 2 min depending on speed limit) and let it idle for another min after you get to work. That means that for every min your car is in motion it sits idleing for 3 min.

You must get the worst gas milage of any evo owner on the planet!

Also, if the car never goes above 3000 RPM there is no reason to use a turbo timer. Hell, if the car never goes above 3000 RPM there is no reason to own it

Get yourself a Hybrid Honda and I bet you can make it all the way to work without the gas engine starting up. You may be able to commute all the way there and back a few times without the gas engine starting. Now to me THAT would be fun.... seeing how many times I could go to work without buring a single ounce of fuel.

Keith
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Fourdoor
So, you warm up the car for 5 min, drive 1 mile (aprox 1 to 2 min depending on speed limit) and let it idle for another min after you get to work. That means that for every min your car is in motion it sits idleing for 3 min.

You must get the worst gas milage of any evo owner on the planet!

Also, if the car never goes above 3000 RPM there is no reason to use a turbo timer. Hell, if the car never goes above 3000 RPM there is no reason to own it

Get yourself a Hybrid Honda and I bet you can make it all the way to work without the gas engine starting up. You may be able to commute all the way there and back a few times without the gas engine starting. Now to me THAT would be fun.... seeing how many times I could go to work without buring a single ounce of fuel.

Keith

Haha, my gas mileage is 14-16mpg. Well the car doesn't see above 3000rpm's on my way to work only. I also have other places to drive to . That and I have fun at the local race scenes.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 11:24 PM
Evolved Member

I've driven many times from Baltimore to North Carolina to visit my dirty skanky hooker of an ex girlfriend. 3500 rpm for five hours is no big thing.