Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Is an ECU flash detectable by the dealership?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2005, 06:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is an ECU flash detectable by the dealership?

Assuming the only thing you have done to you car is a Dynoflash or an ECU flash from Vishnu, would the dealership be able to tell when you take your car in for repairs/warrenty work?
Old Dec 2, 2005, 06:01 AM
Evolved Member

03 04s no 05 + yes
Old Dec 2, 2005, 06:03 AM
Evolving Member

why is it detectable in the 05?
Old Dec 2, 2005, 06:05 AM
Evolving Member

i have an 04 so i am ok, i will be getting the flash, i have read lots of posts on the flash, i think sometimes the dealer just guesses, and they make you tell them and then void you warranty, i read one where soemone went in for a basic oil change with a flash, and they said they found that the ECU was tampered with and they detected a flash, but i think if i remember correctly he was pretty heavily modded and they were looking for something to void his warranty so they wouldnt have to deal with him, not sure someone please correct me if i'm wrong, i would put the link up, but i read it over a month ago, not sure where it was
Old Dec 2, 2005, 07:23 AM

Well that sucks... I was kind of hoping that I could just do an ECU flash to an 06 and not have the stealership be the wiser.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 07:28 AM
Evolving Member

Do u think mitsu is getting wiser as to checking things like that now? like hey if someone comes in with an EVO for say a basic oil change, and they have to check that stuff now? its getting to be that if you accidentally put 89 or 87 Octane in your warranty is voided, or if you fart in your car, and your Recaro's rip becasue of it, they won't cover it
Old Dec 2, 2005, 07:29 AM

I would say yes, but I have no basis's for that
Old Dec 2, 2005, 07:37 AM
Evolved Member

I would expect that on all years, it would depend on how deep they wanted to dig. If they hook you up and check boost levels and timing, they can probably determine that something is way off. TYpically, service departments are so busy they're not going to want to spend a lot of time trying to do some detailed diagnostics just to see if you've tampered with the ECU. If you're concerned and have the financial resources, buy another ECU and keep the stock one original.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 07:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Kordwood
I would expect that on all years, it would depend on how deep they wanted to dig. If they hook you up and check boost levels and timing, they can probably determine that something is way off. TYpically, service departments are so busy they're not going to want to spend a lot of time trying to do some detailed diagnostics just to see if you've tampered with the ECU. If you're concerned and have the financial resources, buy another ECU and keep the stock one original.
They can't tell at all on 03/04s. On 05s and up, they can tell if the programming has been changed based on checksums or something like that. They can't tell what has been done, just that something HAS been done, unless it's been flashed back to stock, I believe.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Honestly they really cant detect it bc they dont have the software for it. They really dont check for it. I have a friend that works at and he's friends with the techs and they DONT have the equipment to see if it has been flahsed
Old Dec 2, 2005, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by EVIL_EVO_VIII
Honestly they really cant detect it bc they dont have the software for it. They really dont check for it. I have a friend that works at and he's friends with the techs and they DONT have the equipment to see if it has been flahsed

I think the point is that unless they have a real reason to look for it they aren't going to spend the time.

If you are trying to get them to pay for a new engine/tranny they will probably do a little digging before just putting it on their tab, but if your door locks stop working there is no reason for them to spend their time trying to find out if your flashed.

And if EVIL EVO is right most dealers don't even have the necessary equipment to check.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 08:42 AM
Evolving Member

Someone tell me why they can't tell on the 03 and 04's as well...isn't it as simple as extracting the .BIN and comparing it to the one that came from the factory?

Last edited by urBan_dK; Dec 2, 2005 at 08:45 AM.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by urBan_dK
Someone tell me why they can't tell on the 03 and 04's as well...isn't it as simple as extracting the .BIN and comparing it to the one that came from the factory?
Yes it is that simple. Dealerships do have the tools but they 'shouldnt' have any reason to check. But if they do, yes it is very easy to compare the files and notice difference.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 03:53 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by TrinaBabe
Yes it is that simple. Dealerships do have the tools but they 'shouldnt' have any reason to check. But if they do, yes it is very easy to compare the files and notice difference.
That's exactly why I wonder people are so adamant about saying, "well they can check the 05/06 but not the 03/04" as if the older ECU is somehow immune to a simple file compare.

Saying that the 05/06 has a "checksum" is a little ridiculous because a checksum can be computed externally to whatever data is physically written to the ECU. Mitsubishi can just as easily compute a checksum for an 03 or an 04 and check that against any car's ECU that comes in. Its not like there is something special on the 05 and 06 that makes this possible.
Old Dec 2, 2005, 09:00 PM

you cannot swap ecu's you have an ignition immobilizer box under the column ecu column and key all have to match

Quick Reply: Is an ECU flash detectable by the dealership?