Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Just got back from PRI

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2005, 06:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Cool Just got back from PRI

It has been about 6 years since I last went to the show. I was very happy to see so many import companies starting to get involved. I saw ARC, Exedy, RPS, Fidanza, JIC Magic, Tomei, K&W, Project Mu, TiAL, Sachs, Quaife, and countless others.

It is really nice to be able to pickup a companies product look at it and compare it to someone else's before you buy. In my area no one stocks these parts so, I always feel like it is a crap shoot on whether I'm going to be happy with the parts or not. These are a few of the Evo related products I saw:

Cosworth is coming out with a big valve Evo head. It's a completely assembled new head with cams. It's ported, polished, and deshrouded. The port work is all CNC done and its beautiful. A little pricey at around $3850 retail though. They are also going to be making a billet crankshaft for the Evo and a complete Evo crate motor which should be awesome and incredibly expensive.

I saw Exedy, ACT, SPEC, and RPS clutches. I'll keep my opinions to my self but, they all looked to be good quality units where the old you get what you pay for adage is totally true.

The K&W suspension booth had what looked to a group N coil over there. It was beautiful. They also had their Variant 3 which looked be a well put together piece.

The JIC stuff was good looking pieces nothing new Evo wise from what I saw.

The Koyo booth had a couple of radiators in it. I can't be sure here because there was a little bit of a language barrier but, I believe they are coming out with an intercooler in the future if they haven't already.

BLE has a solid lifter set for the Evo and a smoking hot girl handing out brochures.

Tomei had their cams out and maybe a stroker kit for the Evo. It's hard to remember because their was so much to see.

I stopped by the Crower booth and saw the cam and valve spring set that I have been considering buying for quite a while now and I'm definitely getting that in the near future.

I'm sure there is more that I've forgotten to list parts wise. The AMS Evo was there. I found it really hard to concentrate on work related issues with so much Evo eye-candy floating around but, I some how managed to get some work done and even squeeze in 18 holes of putt-putt before the show opened.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 06:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hotrod2448
Cosworth is coming out with a big valve Evo head. It's a completely assembled new head with cams. It's ported, polished, and deshrouded. The port work is all CNC done and its beautiful. A little pricey at around $3850 retail though. They are also going to be making a billet crankshaft for the Evo and a complete Evo crate motor which should be awesome and incredibly expensive.
Are you sure about the crankshaft part? I don't mean to doubt you, but when I spoke with I believe Matt at Cosworth about a month ago, he stated they weren't going to do a crank for the Evo, due to the stock crank being so strong.

If they are that's great news, just more stuff to start saving up for.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 06:41 AM
Evolved Member

I believe it is going to be a stroker crank. I spoke to Ken Anderson @ Cosworth who has an MR, he said that a lot of guys are taking the crank out of another mitsu motor (I can't remember the engine code but, it think it's whatever is on the Ralliart) and building there Evo with it. Cosworth feels that it is actually too long of a stroke but, it's hard to argue with a $500 crank. So they are still kind of up in the air because theirs will be considerably more than $500 but, have optimum geometry. He feels they will probably do it though.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 02:45 PM
Evolving Member

No pics....
Old Dec 6, 2005, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Yeah, sorry. Someone at work told me last year in Indy they didn't allow camera's so I didn't even bring mine.
Old Dec 7, 2005, 11:18 AM
Evolving Member

I was there like 3 years ago. It's one of the better show that is out there.. Just going to SEMA then going to PRI... It's always fun....

Last edited by Chad@JUNB.L.com; Dec 7, 2005 at 11:47 AM.