Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo vs...M5

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2005, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Richard EVO
Look guys, these comparisons are getting ridiculous. How about comparing the EVO to a 1962 Ferrari 330 TRI/LM Testa Rossa ???

What's wrong with a comparo? It's the bread and butter of car mags. It's what car enthusiasts are all about. It's half of internet car chat. It's all rhetorical anyway, just some good discussion. Maybe somebody had some brilliant points about one car or the other, who knows. At least it's not a "will I win from a roll" thread.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 09:27 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone here driven an M5? It is HEAVY and feels heavy. It's a big old sedan with a lot of horsepower. Drives a lot like a 7 series. It does NOT handle anything like a sportscar, or an EVO, or an M3 for that matter. A modded EVO (TBE, cams, flash), due to the much lower weight and ~320 WHP, is much quicker than an E39 M5.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 09:38 PM
Evolving Member

If want a car for the weekend and planning on doing competitive racing than you should go with a Evo MR. The M5 is a great car and all but its way too heavy for the track and it is not a good base car for modding. With the Evo all you need is a couple of grand in mods and it will be competitive for one lap of america just as vishnu was 2 years ago.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 09:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by RedEvolution8
if it was me there is no comparison, M5 is a race engine.
And the 4G63 isn't?????? Do your homework pal.

And I thought the M5 is a car, it's an engine as well? What is the world coming too?
Old Dec 3, 2005, 09:56 PM
Evolved Member

The M5 is a bad*** car. But for all the performance it possesses, it can't run in snow. Put AWD, then we'll talk.
I never understood why BMW engineers don't see the obvious. I mean they put AWD on the low ended cars a.k.a. the 325xi. When will they wake up and smell the coffee? Put AWD on the M3 and M5. Are the Japanese the only ones who see the light? WRX, Eclipse, Evo, Skyline.

I'd like to see AWD in the Vette, Viper, Ferrari, etc.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 10:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by inariv5573
The M5 is a bad*** car. But for all the performance it possesses, it can't run in snow. Put AWD, then we'll talk.
I never understood why BMW engineers don't see the obvious. I mean they put AWD on the low ended cars a.k.a. the 325xi. When will they wake up and smell the coffee? Put AWD on the M3 and M5. Are the Japanese the only ones who see the light? WRX, Eclipse, Evo, Skyline.

I'd like to see AWD in the Vette, Viper, Ferrari, etc.
Most m5/m3 owners don't daily drive their cars and find RWD to be a purer form of driving vs. awd. In my experience I found that the all-season tires on bmws are horrible in the snow and if you drove a rwd car in the winter, snow tires are a must.

You have the (AWD I can't crash when it snows outside complex), be careful because it can bite you in the ***. AWD/RWD/FWD doesn't help you stop quicker/sooner in the snow/ice and in my experience being overconfident in any driving situation usually leads to a diseaster or serious wake up call. AWD just provides extra grip coming in out of turns and or when you get stuck.

It would make more sense to put the awd into the 3 serious b/c bmw's major chunk of sales comes from this model, and most would daily drive and need something that can run in all types of weather.

I think this comparision is stupid b/c its not comparing apples to apples. Regardless, the parts on the m5 are pretty expensive and daily driving it will add up. Fixing a broken window regulator (moves the window up or down) can cost upto $500.00 if parts/labor is done at your local bmw stealer, don't forget oil changes, brake pads, rotors, and of course german cars like to go through electronics like a baby and daipers in the cases.

The m5 is be no means a "bad" car its can seat 5 adults comfortably and has a great transmission and motor and lots of torque (at least in the E39 m5). I guess it just comes down to the size of your wallet, but what doesn't now a days.

Last edited by Doogie Howser; Dec 3, 2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 10:16 PM
Evolving Member

You know it's funny to read all these threads about comparing cars. Go test drive both. It's that simple. Pick the one you like the best. I think you'll like the Evo better.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

Evo IX MR

1) new car
2) better handling
3) cheaper/easier to mod
4) better mpg
5) awd (since u get snow where u live)

it would kick *** if u do end up gettin the m5 though, but like someone said, the previous owner most likely beat the living crap out of it already. a new car is always better, esp. a car like the Evo just drive both then decide, things are always different in real life than they are on paper. the listed 5 reasons for getting the Evo make logical sense, but they may easily be overwhelmed by ur driving experience with the e39 m5.

bottom line, you can't go wrong with either car, lucky bastard, jk jk jk.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 02:12 AM
Evolved Member

i would take the MR...

If it was the new M5(with 500hp<) there would be no question.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 02:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
Look guys, these comparisons are getting ridiculous. How about comparing the EVO to a 1962 Ferrari 330 TRI/LM Testa Rossa ???

lol YES!
Old Dec 4, 2005, 03:17 AM
Evolving Member

I think you are talking about the E39 M5? From what I have read they are a very good road car, maybe the ultimate sports/luxury/cruiser type road car BUT on the track they are a little bit heavy and biased towards understeer (although in the slower speed corners I am sure this can be "cured" with some throttle ) so probably not as enjoyable as something like an Evo. I think the extra weight also affects the brakes which aren't small but because of the weight they can be overwhelmed after a few hard laps on the track.

That is only what I have read (and from what I saw of one at a track day) but it does make sense.

So as an everyday car that you can take to the track every now and then for some reasonable fun the M5 is probably the choice but for a weekend only car that you plan to drive hard on the track the Evo is probably the better choice.

Aston
Old Dec 4, 2005, 03:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'd take the m5 if i could find 1 w/ low milage. I love my car, but the m5 is what i would pick between the 2 for the same money. unfortunately, no m5 is even close the price here in hawaii. also no snow for me so no worries.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 03:33 AM
Evolving Member

Evo Vs that Ferrari would be a tough choice for me. If I had enough money to have the Ferrari as a second car then I would get it, but an Evo would probably be my daily driven car . If not then probably the Evo, I am not sure I could live with that Ferrari day to day, I would love to try but I don't think I could for more than a month or 2. As far as race track driving experience they are probably similar in that they are really both race cars (fast, stiff, etc.) and the Evo is probably more sorted (just because of the advances in technology). The Ferrari would probably have an amazing engine though .

Honda Civic Si or Bugatti Veyron? Well that is easy, Civic Si (that is a VTEC right?) I don't like the Veyron at all. I respect it for what it can do but I think it is way too heavy and overpowered to be fun, it seems to me to be more like a very fast GT than a sportscar. The Civic would be fun to throw about all over track .

Last edited by astondg; Dec 4, 2005 at 03:36 AM.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 05:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
I don't see why people are saying this is a stupid comparison. If you can get them for a similar price like he says you can I can definitely see where he is coming from. Drop the "Evo Rules All" and "If it isn't as fast around the track as the Evo, it's worthless" mentalities and think about it.

We all know about the Evo and what it is capable of with just a couple off grand in mods so, I'm not even going to talk about it.

The M5 would be an awesome second car. As far worrying about it being used, I wouldn't worry as long as you find one that looks to be in good shape. With BMW including service for the first 50,000 miles you should be able to find one still under the factory service. I don't think most people who own an M5 drive it daily. They are probably not that inclined to mod it either. I would look for a one owner car with low miles. If he is only doing a few High performance driving events I would think he'll be fine.

What it looses on the track I'm sure it makes up for on the highway. The first thing that pops into my head is Cruise Control. Having taken the Evo on several long trips I never realized how nice CC is and how much of a help from getting crazy speeding tickets it is. Resale, Yes they have taken a big hit but they will probably level off now and hold pretty well. Less 2F2F dumb-asses screwing with you and less attention from Johnny Lawdog.

I can definitely see the attraction to M5. That said I love my Evo too, and since it's almost paid off maybe I need to start looking for an M5 to play with.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 06:32 AM
Evolving Member

Coming from the owner of a 2001 540i-6, allow me to add my 2 cents. The m5 is a great car: the ultimate mix of power, handling, and luxury. Even so, there are a few things that would steer me away. First of all, they arn't the most reliable cars: Vanos failing, clutch, radiators exploding, oil consumption, water pumps... (especially the 2000's!! Don't buy a 2000). This is to be expected from bmw, as they tend to engineer everything to be as complicated as possible. Things will break, and you will have to fix them. Which brings me to my second point, and this is what made me get the 540 over the m5- they are INSANELY expensive to repair. Even though the evo and a used m5 are in the same price range now, the cost of ownership with the m5 will be exponentially higher, I promise you. Lurk around the m5 boards, and you'll see most of the guys on there who are completely satisfied with their cars are die hard BMW fans who either don't mind either shelling out the cash to fix their car, or greasing up to do the jobs themselves to cut the cost.

Quick Reply: Evo vs...M5