Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo vs...M5

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2005, 07:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With all due respect for the M5, I'd take the IX MR in a heart beat. Don't get me wrong, the M5 is a very nice car, but it's around 5 to 6 years old compared to brand new for the IX MR. Finding a M5 for around $35,000 would be difficult, but if one is found it usually has higher milage like more than 50,000 miles at the lowest. Are you really willing to spend $35,000 to $36,000 on a used vehicle with well over 50,000 miles on the car when you have the option to buy a brand new IX MR. I could understand if you were a big time M5 fan and you always wanted one since you were a kid or something, but that doesn't seem to be the case with you or else you wouldn't even be considering another car.

As far as performance goes, the 2000-2001 M5 is very powerful with nearly 400HP, but it's also quite heavy at around 3800Lbs I believe. The IX MR and the IX period, may just be the best EVO platform ever created by the Mitsubishi gods. The 2000-2001 M5 is an aging platform and not as bad *** as the brand new M5 with 500HP. The IX MR is very fast out the box, with 3 examples so far running 12s bone freakin' stock and the trap speeds are also quite impressive at 104MPH to 106MPH. The M5 on the other hand also has the potential for very low 13s/high 12s stock. Simple bolt ons on the IX, and I do mean simple will result in a total *** whipping on the M5. As far as interior goes, it's hard to match BMW in that department, but remember it's a used car and the interior already has it's wear and tear and the simplest things to replace on cars like BMW, Mercedes, and Audis are so freakin' expensive it makes you want to cry. The IX MR interior is not gonna be as nice, but hey it's decent especially for what say is a weekend car. Having a nice interior is great and stuff, but it's gets old fast, but having killer performance and the potential to make more easily never gets old.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

you will have more fun with the ix then the m5 i hear people having problems with the m5 at high miles and im sure its not cheap to fix good luck get the ix
Old Dec 4, 2005, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

early year M5s are a lot cheaper because they have potential of having a lot of problems... do some reaseach on them.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 09:58 AM
Evolved Member

Yeah, but maintenance issues probably aren't that big of a deal if you're only planning to drive the car on weekends/track days.

I still say Evo.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by theblue
early year M5s are a lot cheaper because they have potential of having a lot of problems... do some reaseach on them.
I've done quite a bit of research, and there are no major mechanical differences between the 2000-2003 MYs, so I don't know why you would say that. The problems are similar but rare no matter the MY: VANOS failure, MAF failure, CAS failure.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by 3000ways
. Finding a M5 for around $35,000 would be difficult, but if one is found it usually has higher milage like more than 50,000 miles at the lowest. Are you really willing to spend $35,000 to $36,000 on a used vehicle with well over 50,000 miles on the car when you have the option to buy a brand new IX MR. I could understand if you were a big time M5 fan and you always wanted one since you were a kid or something, but that doesn't seem to be the case with you or else you wouldn't even be considering another car.
M5 are now plentiful in the low 30's, yes many have 50k - 90k miles, but in my experience BMW engines are just getting broken in by then And to be honest, an 80k miles BMW is still probably built more solidly (ie higher quality materials and workmanship) than a brand new Mitsu. But believe me, a brand new MR is very tempting...

As far as always wanting one, well yes I have always wanted an M5. And I have wanted an Evo ever since I saw the Evo VI in WRC. And I have always wanted a Ferrari, a Porsche 911, etc etc the list goes on...
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:32 AM
Evolved Member

I'll tell you why it's a stupid comparison. A new '06 EVO IX MR and a 6-year-old E39 M5 are completely different cars. They don't compete with one another and they never will. The fact that you might get the used M5 for somewhere near the price of a new MR (which I doubt) is beside the point.

The economics of the deal would be different, even if the prices are similar. A new car can be leased or financed with factory incentives, etc. A 6-year-old car must be purchased with cash or a bank loan, which for a used car will be harder to get, with higher interest rate and a shorter term, hence much higher payments, and it can't be leased. And as pointed out above, the maintenance costs would be much higher on the M5. Moreover, the new EVO comes with a factory warranty, while the M5 has no warranty at all.

All that aside, the purposes of these cars are totally different. An M5 is a beautiful big-bucks German luxo-cruiser with and incredible engine and lots of high-tech mechanical and comfort doodads. It is not a track car, because it weighs about 2 tons. An EVO is a razor-sharp track and rally machine that is fun to drive on the street. It is not a luxury car by any stretch of the imagination, is small and is pretty much a stripped car, even in MR form, compared to a BMW. The EVO weighs about 800 pounds less than an M5.

I find it very hard to believe that anyone is SERIOUSLY cross-shopping these 2 cars.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:37 AM

lol this is some funny **** BTW inariv5573 vbmenu_register("postmenu_2599320", true); i didnt say 4g63 is not a race engine it JUST NO WAY is as advanced as the M5 engine that was built 2000 even if its 5-6-7 yrs old, its BMW M buddy its gonna take mitsu to build something like that another 10yrs. and how the hel are you gonna say evo is better when its NO WAY near the m5's class its a whole different class buddy. As far as rwd you seriously need 2 drive it you will never wonna go back 2 fwd or awd, but like me I like all cars i love the performance of the evo, but i also love the M's, it must be the love for the rwd.
anyway another thing i wanted 2 say for bmw to build a hardcore car like the evo question is who would buy it just like they built the CSL thats 100plus grand. So since Boo-Boos are buying them with the big wallet they make the m very luxurious.
I donno thats all i have 2 say im not trying 2 hate on the evo i own it but I also dont like how you guys disrispect other cars when the m5 will smoke half of u on here that posted. most of you guys think i own a evo Im a god no you are not. there are plenty of other GREAT cars out there. BMW M being one of a few......
Old Dec 4, 2005, 10:43 AM
Evolved Member

considerin the IX would be brand new and the M5 is already 5 years old i would go with the IX
Old Dec 4, 2005, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
I'll tell you why it's a stupid comparison. A new '06 EVO IX MR and a 6-year-old E39 M5 are completely different cars. They don't compete with one another and they never will. The fact that you might get the used M5 for somewhere near the price of a new MR (which I doubt) is beside the point.

The economics of the deal would be different, even if the prices are similar. A new car can be leased or financed with factory incentives, etc. A 6-year-old car must be purchased with cash or a bank loan, which for a used car will be harder to get, with higher interest rate and a shorter term, hence much higher payments, and it can't be leased. And as pointed out above, the maintenance costs would be much higher on the M5. Moreover, the new EVO comes with a factory warranty, while the M5 has no warranty at all.

All that aside, the purposes of these cars are totally different. An M5 is a beautiful big-bucks German luxo-cruiser with and incredible engine and lots of high-tech mechanical and comfort doodads. It is not a track car, because it weighs about 2 tons. An EVO is a razor-sharp track and rally machine that is fun to drive on the street. It is not a luxury car by any stretch of the imagination, is small and is pretty much a stripped car, even in MR form, compared to a BMW. The EVO weighs about 800 pounds less than an M5.

I find it very hard to believe that anyone is SERIOUSLY cross-shopping these 2 cars.
Well, I disagree. I *AM* cross-shopping these 2 cars. Yes I am aware that they are totally different cars but as long as both accomplish what *I* need then the comparo is applicable.

FWIW, Yes you can get a 2000 M5 for equal or less than a new MR. Yes, I can get a loan with as long a term (60 or 72 mos if so desired) as new financing, in fact longer, while yes the interest rate will be about 2% higher. A manageable difference. And BTW, the Evo is about 600 lbs less than the M5, and is much a driver's car as an Evo, in terms of the whole experience. But I guess that is all personal preference.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 02:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by RedEvolution8
hey wizzo8, hmmmm i doubt the guy in the m5 knew anythin about driving that car since it had DEALER plates on it, and its been snowin tru out the day, here in north side of chitown ur not 2 far away i wouldnt drive that thing period on this weather, anyway I am not tryin 2 put your car down or anything but u say ur a BMW mechanic, DID YOU DRIVE IN THE M5 IS MY QUESTION. that thing will smoke the **** out of your evo on a roll anytime, even if u have things done 2 it look at the numbers it traps down at the quater mile, its does mid 13's like the evo but the TRAP speeds are CRAZY. so wizzo8 sorry but u donno wtf a m5 is money talks bull**** walks, thats a race engine thats used stock in a lot of races just swapped into a m3. the e46 m3 will smoke the stock evo on the roll and thats a m3, this is a whole different machine M5, will just squash the evo on the roll.
I have driven plenty of M cars and Yes your right if we were at speed and we both stepped on it the M would leave me. That wasnt my point though. It was that he probably thought he would leave me in the dust but I was on him the whole time. It was about noon and it didnt start snowing till later that day. The roads were dry. I would have never done that with wet roads. I forgot to mention that it was the E39 M5 and not the new 06 M5.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 02:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by lbcevo
Has anyone here driven an M5? It is HEAVY and feels heavy. It's a big old sedan with a lot of horsepower. Drives a lot like a 7 series. It does NOT handle anything like a sportscar, or an EVO, or an M3 for that matter. A modded EVO (TBE, cams, flash), due to the much lower weight and ~320 WHP, is much quicker than an E39 M5.
I totally agree
Old Dec 4, 2005, 05:53 PM

I have watched this board for about 2 years and never have anything to offer, but in this case I feel qualified to chime is as an owner of a 2000 M5 and 2003 Evo.

Everyone here seems to know all about the Evo, so I'll aim my comments towards the M5.

I've put 40k miles on the M5 in 5 years, so it's more of a weekend car for me. I have done 12 track days at Laguna Seca and Infineon with it during this time. At the track, the stock M5 feels a bit heavy and understeers. Over time I modded many items including a Dinan Stage III suspension & exhaust, more aggresive brake pads, brake cooling ducts, and lastly Hoosier race slicks on lighter wheels. The suspension package made an immediate difference in handling. The car felt more nimble and turn in was much better. The trade-off was excessive tire wear on the front inside edges during normal street driving (done is 7k miles). Better brake pads and cooling ducts were needed as my confidence grew and speeds increased. The last upgrade to race slicks transformed my sedate family sedan to a track sleeper, but quickly exposed the weakness in the stock brakes. My confidence and speeds went up, but the brakes were not up for it and overheated. I have since retired the M5 from track duty and now have the Evo for that.

The M5 is in a completely different league when it comes to build quality and comfort. After I got my car I was very impressed with the attention to detail... for instance, the interior is completely covered in stitched leather including the entire dash and kick panels along the doors and tranmission tunnel. The headliner is alcantara (a synthetic suede). BTW, I believe the all leather dash was discontinued after '01 and only came with the "luxury" (not sport) interior option.

The M5 is not going to do well in a drag race (it was never meant to), but it will excel at highway speeds and above. The car feels stable and planted, even at 150+. The torque of the M5 V8 is addicting, this engine pulls at (almost) all RPM's. Mechanically, I have not had many problems (but I only have 40k miles on it) and I know many M5 owners who would agree that the cars are solid. I would highly recommend checking out this board for feedback directly from M5 owners: http://www.m5board.com

I would recommend buying a BMW Certified Preowned (CPO) M5 as it will carry the factory warranty. It will certainly cost more than buying a private party car, but IMO the BMW factory warranty coverage will be worth it. This even applies to cars with third party extended warranties. These types of warranties have not had good reviews.

Trackstar, I hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

Bob
Old Dec 4, 2005, 05:58 PM
Evolved Member

Bob -

Thanks for a well considered and knowledgable post that vindicates my position. Laguna Seca and Sears Point/Infineon are great racetracks, and if you were able to shed enough weight to steer your M5 around the corners, that's great.

If you decided to sell your M5, will BMW CPO warranty it, mods and all??? J/K

P.S. I have owned 4 new BMWs over the years, including a '95 M3 and a '90 535i.
Old Dec 4, 2005, 06:07 PM

Bob-

Thanks for the great info. Might you be able to provide a link to the brake ducts you are running? Just curious. Have you had any major mechanical issues with your M? Feel free to PM me if you would rather.

Quick Reply: Evo vs...M5