Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo vs...M5

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2005, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo vs...M5

Hey with all the Evo vs (___ ) threads, I thought I would throw this out there...I don't want to know "who will win," but rather "which would you rather have if you were me." I had been planning on picking up a IX after New Years, but now I am also kicking around 2000-2001 BMW M5, which sell for about the same price as a new MR nowadays.

I would be driving it only on weekends, but year round (ie, snow tires in winter). I try to do multiple HPDEs every year. In fact I'd like to do One Lap in 2007. I want a "factory fast" car, i.e. no or very little in terms of mods. I've had M-cars before and loved them. I love the Evo too. I am not the kind of person that thinks any one car is the "be all and end all." I am a performance car enthusiast in general and I try to keep an open mind.

M5: More luxury, no F&F image, awesome V8, great driver's car; probably less reliable, more expensive/frequent maintenance, heavy for track days.

Evo 9: brand new, hopefully more reliable, AWD great for winter, great driver's car; "boy racer" image, poor dealer/warranty support, lower quality interior & paint

Obviously this board may be a bitbiased, but curious what you guys think. Which would you rather own?
Old Dec 3, 2005, 05:03 PM
Evolving Member

ohhh come on guys....stop giving this guy so much ****....I would go with the evo...with the M...you dont know who beat on that car before you....
Old Dec 3, 2005, 05:07 PM

if it was me there is no comparison, M5 is a race engine. no questions. as far as performance goes, the m5 is more then enough plus u get the luxury along with it, besides it takes monster cars 2 keep up with the m5 on the highway...
Old Dec 3, 2005, 05:08 PM
Evolving Member

m5 all the way!!!
Old Dec 3, 2005, 05:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i'd go with the new MR. i'm not too fond of used cars. especially used performance cars, because the person that bought it originally probably bought it for the same reason you want it now. to DRIVE it lol. the MR is cheaper in maintanence, and i don't see the M5 keeping up on the track. it's heavier, and it won't outhandle the EVO. i thought about buying a BMW when i got my MR, because i do like luxury and all of the other things it comes with...and the fact that it's a BMW haha. at the end of the day though, i decided on the MR. it's more fun to drive, lots of potential, and although i'm not a big fan of Mitsu (Honda man for life), the EVO is definately worth going Mitsu for. did i mention the MR would be brand spankin new? a car with any number of miles on it is always best if YOU are the one who put them there. go with the IX MR. good luck
Old Dec 3, 2005, 05:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Its funny because I pulled up behind an M5 today At a stop light and it had dealer plates on it. He tried to take off but I was on his *** the whole time up till I thought it was too much. We hit about 115 in a 50 mph speed limit so I let off. He probably hit 130 im guessing. I cought up to him at the next stop light and gave me a thumbs down. If I would have keeped on the gas I would have been with him the whole time. Im a BMW mechanic and I know from experience that M5s even with snow tires suck in the snow. It probably only gets about 10-12 mpg also.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 05:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
but, if honda develops a near 300hp turbocharged, AWD TSX, get that haha if they did, i'd be trading my EVO tomorrow...but that's a whole other story lol good luck with the decision to buy the EVO and not the M5...cuz you want the EVO, so get it...and not the M5
Old Dec 3, 2005, 05:17 PM
Evolving Member

Got to love the thumbs down: expecially when the person is thinking they are about to smoke you. lol
Old Dec 3, 2005, 05:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by freddiet
Got to love the thumbs down: expecially when the person is thinking they are about to smoke you. lol
Thanx freddiet
Old Dec 3, 2005, 05:47 PM

Originally Posted by Asta4125
ohhh come on guys....stop giving this guy so much ****....I would go with the evo...with the M...you dont know who beat on that car before you....
lol, I guess some posts were deleted? Missed those. It's all good, this is an Evo board, you got to expect taking some flack...I love both cars, in fact I love cars in general.

They are very different cars. Both are great cars no matter how you slice it. I guess the question and the responses are kind of pointless but hey, it's the internet.

Last edited by trackstar; Dec 3, 2005 at 06:24 PM.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 06:04 PM

Check the interest rate on new versus used if that is a consideration it is usually 2-3% from new to used.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 06:09 PM
Account Disabled

M5 no question, far superior build quality and a 10 on the badassometer.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Look guys, these comparisons are getting ridiculous. How about comparing the EVO to a 1962 Ferrari 330 TRI/LM Testa Rossa ???

Old Dec 3, 2005, 06:18 PM

hey wizzo8, hmmmm i doubt the guy in the m5 knew anythin about driving that car since it had DEALER plates on it, and its been snowin tru out the day, here in north side of chitown ur not 2 far away i wouldnt drive that thing period on this weather, anyway I am not tryin 2 put your car down or anything but u say ur a BMW mechanic, DID YOU DRIVE IN THE M5 IS MY QUESTION. that thing will smoke the **** out of your evo on a roll anytime, even if u have things done 2 it look at the numbers it traps down at the quater mile, its does mid 13's like the evo but the TRAP speeds are CRAZY. so wizzo8 sorry but u donno wtf a m5 is money talks bull**** walks, thats a race engine thats used stock in a lot of races just swapped into a m3. the e46 m3 will smoke the stock evo on the roll and thats a m3, this is a whole different machine M5, will just squash the evo on the roll.
Old Dec 3, 2005, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Richard EVO
Look guys, these comparisons are getting ridiculous. How about comparing the EVO to a 1962 Ferrari 330 TRI/LM Testa Rossa ???

Honda Civic Si or Bugatti Veyron?

Quick Reply: Evo vs...M5