Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Now that you're done breaking them in...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2003, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Thwack
well, I kinda kept up with a sport bike up to 110, then i backed off and he kep going, weaving through upcoming traffic. he must have hit around 120before he eased off.

Funny, on saturday, I just had silver EVO8 try to race me on my R1 but I was no where near the DC area. I was really drooling over the car and he punched it. Naturally I punched the throttle and hit 170mph b4 I shut it down. Can't wait to get my EVO8. It's such a beautiful car!

Hopefully we'll start to hear more replies as more people break in their cars.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by Jonasan50
ON a very empty and closed road, I ran a lightning with a chip, pulley, and somethin else... I dusted him the first 3 times, cause he just sat there spinning his tires.. And on the 4th, he finally got some grip, but couldn't catch up to me and I couldn't pull away.... Later that night, I creamed a trans am at the same place...
The beauty of an awd!!! Formidable opponents.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 11:18 AM

Originally posted by EVOM3

Funny, on saturday, I just had silver EVO8 try to race me on my R1 but I was no where near the DC area. I was really drooling over the car and he punched it. Naturally I punched the throttle and hit 170mph b4 I shut it down. Can't wait to get my EVO8. It's such a beautiful car!

Hopefully we'll start to hear more replies as more people break in their cars.
Dang!!! you know the evo is fast if bikes are racing against them...but what the heck was he thinking??? against a R1???!!!
Old Mar 26, 2003, 01:47 PM
Evolved Member

Two run-ins so far since break-in.

The first was a weird encounter with a 740i sport a couple of nights ago. I was cruising down the interstate at 65mph(70mph speed limit) in the right lane when I suddenly have a set of xenons pop-up behind me in the left lane. The car closed on me until it was in my blind spot, then suddenly and abruptly dropped back and cut in behind me for a few seconds. It then jumped back out and passed me, at which time I could see it was a 740. Then it abruptly drops over directly in front of me and slows down! I am still cruising at 65 thinking WTF!!! Then this guy floors it as if to leave me sitting still. Well a better man might have been able to restrain himself, but we were alone on wide-open interstate, so I downshifted to 3rd, jumped out into the left lane, immediately reeled him in and spit him out the back. After I blew his doors off I slowed, but he hung back. A 740 isn't much to write home about performance-wise, but this guy was asking to have his @$$ handed to him.

A second more legit encounter with an SS camaro today on four lane highway. I was cruising in left lane at 60 mph. The SS came up behind me then, as traffic opened-up on the right, he swung around me under full throttle. I had already anticipated this move and, with no traffic directly ahead, downshifted and throttled-up.

I was actually pulling him slightly the entire time, then with cars further ahead I chopped the throttle. As he passed he gave me a thumbs-up and I returned.

Not really a race mind you, but a confirmation of the respect and competition class this car fits into.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 01:58 PM
Evolved Member

Heading home from work yesterday, in the rain mind you, well just finished, wet roads. I'm almost home, sitting at a traffic light. I'm smokin so I got the window half way down. Black 4.6 Cobra roars up next to me. He looks over and says to me " Got Rice?" and starts to laugh with his buddy in the car, crackin on the big wing. Right before the light turned green I look over and say "got traction?" and tore his *** up off the line. My turn was coming up, say 500 yards, he couldn't catch up. As I was turning he flips me off as he passes by. Typical. I wave.

Last edited by stvbreal; Mar 26, 2003 at 02:07 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

LMAO I love the domestic guys reactions. This car must really **** them off, especially in the corners and braking.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 02:17 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Got traction?

RFLMFAO.

That's the damned funniest thing I've seen all day.
Old Mar 26, 2003, 02:31 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I had an interesting experience just playing around.. some turbocharged honda was really taunting me so I figured I'd play around.. I let him get ahead off the line, intentionally stayed next to him, just behind his front wheel.. Let it go for a short while, then told my g/f to wave bye-bye, and dropped a gear and sped away.. the guys face dropped (according to my g/f) and had this humiliated look when he pulled up again, he just limped off the line without even looking over... Figured you guys would get a kick out of this.. Let me add that this was at 400 miles, and I never revved the engine over 5500 rpm..
Old Mar 26, 2003, 02:35 PM
EvoM Guru

Oh.. I also got challeneged by a Dodge minivan.. The guy was really insistant on racing so I did.. I whooped his *** obviously.. at the next like I asked him "What were you thinking?" and we all got a good laugh. However l stopped at a gas station, and look who showed up.. the minivan.. I then discovered he had a turbocharged engine with nitrous... That minivan must be heavy, but an interesting sleeper concept.. Gotta love us crazy new yorkers..
Old Mar 27, 2003, 12:25 AM

Originally posted by MalibuJack
Oh.. I also got challeneged by a Dodge minivan.. The guy was really insistant on racing so I did.. I whooped his *** obviously.. at the next like I asked him "What were you thinking?" and we all got a good laugh. However l stopped at a gas station, and look who showed up.. the minivan.. I then discovered he had a turbocharged engine with nitrous... That minivan must be heavy, but an interesting sleeper concept.. Gotta love us crazy new yorkers..
Hahahaha....that's too funny....a turbocharged minivan with nitrous!!!
Old Mar 27, 2003, 09:00 PM

Originally posted by silver ghost
dang!! a stock Evo vs. a chipped m3 at highway speeds??!! that's pretty impressive...i thought Evo's would lose power at over 100mph since its an awd...can't wait to hear the results after its modded. nice kill
Sounds like exactly what you'd expect. Chipping a '99 m3 bumps the HP from about 240 to 246 at the crank. (edit) Actually, maybe a bit more. Say, under 250 crank, +6-7 at the wheels.

Last edited by donkeymaster; Mar 27, 2003 at 11:26 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2003, 09:46 PM
Evolved Member

Had a couple of LEXI today
Old Mar 28, 2003, 12:09 AM
EvoM Guru

I can relate one more experience today.. actually 2... I roasted both a Mustang Cobra (or so it was badged) and a Camaro SS.. Both of which were obviously traction challenged, however I think I surprised them. Again, I wasn't beating the snot out of the car either, I was easy on the shifts, and wen't really soft on my launch.. I dunno, my car seems to feel a little faster than a high 13 second car.. I gotta get a vericom, or gtech pro to see if its running better than its suppsed to, or I'm just a really terrible driver.
Old Mar 28, 2003, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by skibum
A guy in a Camaro asked me if I wanted to race.

I said, "sure, are you going home to get your fast car?"

He did not find that funny
Well put my friend, well put.
Old Mar 29, 2003, 12:14 AM

bump!!

Quick Reply: Now that you're done breaking them in...