Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Now that you're done breaking them in...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2003, 01:12 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
well i dont know about all of you but **** going to the track, i just got back from that **** and i suck!! i cant launch, i cant shift or nothing, at least at the track, i dont have this problem on the streets, but at the track i was having a real problem. First race was against some bad *** corvette, and i bogged the start so he got the jump, second gear i pulled hard and was nose on nose, then i ATE third gear.. and threw it into fourth and eased across the 1/8th mile line with a 9.5. Second race i tried to slip the clutch and ended up burning it up really bad, it just gave away at about 5000 rpm and wouldnt catch for 2nd, finally began to move and still pulled a 9.2 at 79. (take in mind this is an 1/8th mile track). So i am pretty bummed, im never going back there again. But i do have a good street race story, i was with my girlfriend who is totally against the whole street race i got bigger ***** thing, but when this cobra pulled up just as the light turned red, i looked to her and said "damn, this guy wants to race" and she said "so, race him" , the rest is history, jammed it into first, took the guy on the launch, ate him in second, third and fourth... oh man it was nice.
Old Mar 29, 2003, 01:25 AM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by stvbreal
Heading home from work yesterday, in the rain mind you, well just finished, wet roads. I'm almost home, sitting at a traffic light. I'm smokin so I got the window half way down. Black 4.6 Cobra roars up next to me. He looks over and says to me " Got Rice?" and starts to laugh with his buddy in the car, crackin on the big wing. Right before the light turned green I look over and say "got traction?" and tore his *** up off the line. My turn was coming up, say 500 yards, he couldn't catch up. As I was turning he flips me off as he passes by. Typical. I wave.
That was the most beautiful story I have ever heard!!!!!
It brings a tear to my eye. "Got traction?!"
I love it.
Nice kill stvbreal - rock on dude.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

Oki Doki Yesterday morning some punk in a late 90's mustang 5.0 come up behind me on the eway. Passed me and then cut me off. Thems fightin actions. So when he stomped on his gas pedal i rode his A$$ up to 140 then walked right passed him. It wasn't spectacular. But the look on his face as a family car passed him was unforgetable. I haven't gone over about 150 but I know she'll do more. Mitsu says 157 and I think that's at red line in 5th.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 02:22 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I have three more races to talk about.. I raced what appeared to be a modified (2001+) corvette, looked like a z06, but I'm not sure.. Anyway, the first run with him, I got a good launch, got a car length ahead, and stayed ahead the entire time until I let off for traffic. The second time I raced, I got MONSTERBOG! launched at a terrible RPM and he got 2 car lengths ahead, I stayed right next to him, and finally began catching up when I had to let off for a car in front of me. Of course, he didn't wanna run again and took off as fast as he could. I also ran up against what appeared to be a tuned late Supra, I took him fairly easily, and I also ran a late model RX-7 turbo, It was at a roll and I was able to get ahead, but It wasn't for any real distance so It wasn't really a race... Its actually a bit amusing, I find myself looking at most cars like their a joke (mostly hondas and other fartmobiles) and not even acknowledging anything that doesnt have a real performance reputation. I am really not overly impressed with the top-end performance, but its fun to drive. I need more power, I'm accustomed to walking away from many of these cars by several car lengths in my malibu.
Old Mar 30, 2003, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

here are some products i found to help the top end, but the key will be tuning your ecu, these things run silly rich and the timing is said to be retarded... haha...
www.rmrproducts.com -check out the 3" downpipe, high flow cat, air intake if you like to hear your turbo , those exhaust parts make a big difference when making this sort of output, but plug and play ecu'in with www.vishnutuning.com (or whoever you trust) will make your biggest initial gains for your stock turbo...
Old Mar 31, 2003, 09:28 PM

ttt
Old Apr 1, 2003, 10:53 PM

bump!
Old Apr 5, 2003, 01:17 AM

Has anyone lost a race??
Old Apr 5, 2003, 08:33 AM
Evolving Member

yesterday I completely killed a lighlty modded gsx... last night I was cruising with my cob buddy, following his wrx, it kept up no problem up to 140. werent really racing though, never got the chance. just driving really fast, i didnt want to pass him in case we got pulled over
Old Apr 5, 2003, 10:42 AM
Evolving Member

i gotsa story for ya, by the way never buy a car from aufenburg dealerships . ok yesterday me and the pops were goin to the store and some little oz pulled up and started revin his engine and i looked in the car, and i was like WTF?!?! it was a mitsu sales man in a new oz , so my dad was like "watch this" pumped it to 5 or 6k and dropped it, the rest is known to soon bye bye oz , another good stories??
Old Apr 5, 2003, 12:04 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I lost a race to a Corvette.. I mentioned this before.. However It was never really a good call because I bogged off the line. Keep in mind there are corvettes out there that are obviously much quicker than the EVO.. But AWD definitely has an advantage if you can launch the car well. I beat a Z06 which in reality should have beaten the EVO.. but I hooked well and didn't miss a shift. On the street DRIVING SKILL does have alot more impact on a race, especially on cars that may be mismatched. Don't forget, a good launch will usually let you leave on most much quicker cars with DOT tires, since most will just spin off the line, the key is to shift consistently and not miss shifts. However if they hook, their sometimes gone. Truth is, in most cases you won't lose my much in an EVO.. It definitely is missing something up at the top-end. I actually already feel that my stock EVO is not quick enough. OF course I felt that way initially because of my other car.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 01:46 PM

lol i might not be able to compare to all u other guys but to me a win is a win and i gave a mustang gt a run his money lol. I love if when asian guys in their mustang gt come up and start reving up.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 02:11 PM
Evolving Member

be nice to the oz, evoboy, we all know that a 120hp oz will lose to the evo, so try not to come off all bad *** about it.
Old Apr 5, 2003, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by RTW EVO
i raced a 99 m3 (chipped) from a roll @ 70mph - we both rolled in 5th gear i crept up to 90 and had about a car and a half - by 110 i had 2 full cars

this was done during the day on a road with no traffic - i don't normaly race on the street, but a new car is very tempting
Nice! I'd fully expect that since E36 M3's are low 14s stock, my 328is is as fast as a stock one w/ my intake/exhaust/short shifter, about a 14.4 right now
Old Apr 5, 2003, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

not sayin its badass about beaten it , we was jus teachin the sales guy not to races cars that arent his it was actually funny because at the enxt light he would look at us, he jus looked strait with a pouting face , u guys are right about the gear box bein difficult with fast shifts , i may not be the best shifter or diver for that matter but i was tryin to speed shift yesterday when my dad let me drive and dang, i missed every shift up to 4th
, anyway that salesman needed a lesson , oh wait thats right what was he thinkin ooh im gonna race a car hat i kno will kik my *** lol, see ya later guys

Quick Reply: Now that you're done breaking them in...