Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Carbon Fiber Wing recall?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2005, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Carbon Fiber Wing recall?

I heard that Mitsubishi might have a recall of our Carbon Fiber wings due to the fogging of the clear coat.
Keep our fingers crossed?
I haven't been to the dealer after I picked up my car new, and now it has almost 38,000 miles on the odo. not sure if they will warrant it? My wing is fogged and clear coat falling off exposing raw CF.

I read on the threads here that some owners were refused a new wing after the 36,000 mile mark?
Old Dec 5, 2005, 08:36 AM
Evolved Member

Every dealer deals differently when looking at a car with mods. I would just take the cf spoiler off and take it to my dealer b/c and explain the situation adn they should warranty it.

If not you can ask some socalevo.net locals for some help b/c I'm sure they'll be able to help you out. Fixing the clearcoat back to 100% really isn't too difficult its just time intensive.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

yeah, some guy did 4 clear coats after he stripped off the paint, and it looked nice. he said the majority of the time it took was doing the clear coat. just put a weekend aside with no wing to restore.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 09:34 AM

yeah this is a big problem and I know huntington beach mitsubishi is being real good about replacing the wing if it's damaged like that. mine is doing the same thing and it's getting worse. i trying to really take care the wing but, then i got a small white spot and it's growing. my wing is on back order for now.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 09:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
At 38k, you're out of warranty, so I don't think you have a chance. Even if you were still within the warranty timeframe, there is no RECALL (recalls are for safety items only), and there is no TSB (technical service bulletin for non-safety issues). Some dealerships replace it or fix it with no questions asked, whereas others tell you to stick it up your pooper. You have nothing to lose by going to a dealership or two and showing it to them, but you'd have to get very lucky for any of them to replace/fix it for free.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 09:40 AM
Evolving Member

i got deinied cuz they said somthing hit the wing to crate the clear coming off, wtf!!!
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:54 AM
Evolving Member

my dealership said there were buff marks so no go. I dont think the manual says not to buff, thing is i never buffed it but I was getting a free TC so I didn't argue.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hope so mine is fuxed
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:11 AM

hey I got mine replaced due to bubbling under the clear coat and the spoiler just look like crap. It was a hassle until I called mistubishi and told them about the problem and the dealer(s) I went to. They then replaced it but it took a while to get a new spoiler. Hey it better than driving around with a defected spoiler. Try calling mitsubishi because they seem more helpful than the dealers themselves. I hope that help you out.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:21 AM

My dealer said it is normal, I have a white spot the size of a dime. MY wing is now in my basement.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:27 AM
Evolving Member

I got a new wing no questions asked a month ago.
Mods in all, and 17,500.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by racerhead2
I heard that Mitsubishi might have a recall of our Carbon Fiber wings due to the fogging of the clear coat.
Keep our fingers crossed?
I haven't been to the dealer after I picked up my car new, and now it has almost 38,000 miles on the odo. not sure if they will warrant it? My wing is fogged and clear coat falling off exposing raw CF.

I read on the threads here that some owners were refused a new wing after the 36,000 mile mark?
Anti-Corrosion 7-yrs/100,000 miles

Try to get it covered under that. If the CF looses its protective clear coat it will deteriorate. Be a real pain in the *** and don't be affraid to go over the dealers head and contact Mitsubishi directly. I am pretty sure you can get it covered if it is as bad as you describe.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:42 AM
Evolving Member

got mine replaced at 35thousand miles .with mods. no questions asked.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:46 AM
Evolving Member

well they ordered the wing for me i just called to see when it would be in and its on back order.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 11:58 AM

find a buddy with a same color in warranty car... and swap wings

der