Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Interested in a EVO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2005, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interested in a EVO

I search the forums all night last night looking around on the cons and pros off evo. I have a RSX base 5 speed turbo, me and my dad were talking and he wants to get a s2000 or a evo. One of my Friends has a Evo with some mods and its just sick launched at 4k and i almost wet my pants!!..

But i have some questions/thoughs on the evo i need answer

1) are they responsive to mods? as in what would i gain if i added a full exhuast?
2) how are they from a roll? i've always heard awd from a roll is kinda slow..
3) if i do full exhuast from the turbo back and no cat, and basic bolt ons what will the gains be?
4) how are the 06 ( dunno if they are out yet) as in the transmission.. thats the thing i worry about
5) what about crank walk?
6) is mistu really going under or is it just a rumor
7) he my dad deicdes to get a evo.. next thing would be evo or sti ( boxter motor harder to work on i know) i'm pretty mech. inclined
8) how is the sti vs evo ( i know this can get ina **** contest but in all honestly)

most important at the auto track events and etc.. i always see alot of sti's ... how come there isnt alot of evos?

Thanks for ay help
Old Dec 5, 2005, 08:27 AM
Evolving Member

Hey, I went from a RSX-S to an Evo just last month, so w00t, we are in the same boat.

Originally Posted by Djstorm100
1) are they responsive to mods? as in what would i gain if i added a full exhuast?
Yes they are responsive. Lots of power can be gained from doing bolt-ons. More then your RSX would see. Make sure you read a lot about ECU tuning becuase it is a lot different then working with a Honda ECU.

2) how are they from a roll? i've always heard awd from a roll is kinda slow..
The only reason they would be slow is because of turbo lag. Once you do simple mods, like a Turbo Outlet, Downpipe, and a reflash, turbo lag will decrease.

3) if i do full exhuast from the turbo back and no cat, and basic bolt ons what will the gains be?
Every evo is different, but with a ECU reflash and basic bolt-ons, somewhere in the neighborhood of 280 whp.

4) how are the 06 ( dunno if they are out yet) as in the transmission.. thats the thing i worry about
I haven't heard any problems for 06 evos. They've only been out a handful of days, so only time will tell.

5) what about crank walk?
I'm not too sure on this, but I believe it is when the crank has play and swings from side to side slightly.

6) is mistu really going under or is it just a rumor
I think it's a rumor. But who knows. Just buy a TV from them to support 'em.

7) he my dad deicdes to get a evo.. next thing would be evo or sti ( boxter motor harder to work on i know) i'm pretty mech. inclined
I'm not sure what the question is, but yes, boxster motors suck.

8) how is the sti vs evo ( i know this can get ina **** contest but in all honestly)
It's all in taste. I hate the STi wing and the sound is attrocious. I've always loved the Evo style and I'm more used to an inline 4-cylinder. But I guess a good point would be that the Evo make the most horsepower per liter out of any 4-cylinder production car in the world.

most important at the auto track events and etc.. i always see alot of sti's ... how come there isnt alot of evos?
Beats me. Everyone here in Reno has STis, not too many Evos. It all boils down to taste, IMO.

Good luck!
Old Dec 5, 2005, 08:29 AM
Evolving Member

thanks, I know the gen2 mistu has crank walk.. didnt know if they sloved that..how is the ecu different from tuning vs honda? Can tune indepentd cam angles 10 20 30 40 50 degree maps?
Old Dec 5, 2005, 08:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought you said you searched...? All of those questions have been discussed ad nauseam except for maybe crankwalk, because it's non-existent. I am willing to help, but you didn't really spend all night searching if you didn't see tons of answers to these basic questions, especially the fact you say you don't know if the IX has been released despite the fact we have several LONG threads from tuning shops showing the IXs on the dyno with tuning and mods. The questions about whether the Evo responds well to mods really gets me. If there's one thing that is common knowledge, it's that the Evo responds to mods better than anything on the road, especially with a full exhaust...

I see more Evos at track events than I do STi's. I also have killed every STi I've ever raced at the drag strip...they don't tend to show well there due to their limitations. In the twisties (auto-x/road course), I just haven't encountered a good STi driver yet, which is why I've had no problem beating them on all occasions.

Edit: several of Atlas's answers are incorrect or don't answer the question, so be wary. Btw, it's a "Boxer" engine not to be confused with a Porsche Boxster.

Last edited by Warrtalon; Dec 5, 2005 at 08:32 AM.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 08:32 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
I thought you said you searched...?
That's what I was thinking.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 08:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
IMO s2000 is the wrong way to go if you want bolt on power...but the evo tends to be a money pit because there are so many bolt ons that add that extra few hp. but what really sucks is if you upgrade to the point of a ECU upgrade...then it becomes an issue of tuning...and retuning...and retuning. I guess im partial to my evo though because it holds bolt on power well unless you reach 350 whp or so. then come the tranny and transfer case probs.