Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

3 problems should i contact a dealer?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2005, 08:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i looked at the fuel pump and the connectors looked fine...the fuel sensor is not around the fuel pump but rather near the middle of the car

Originally Posted by SilverEvo8owner
The fuel temp sensor was probably damaged during the fuel pump install.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 09:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancerdealer
I also work for a dealership and I would recommend giving them a chance to do it and be HONEST with your dealer and they will be more likely to help you than if they spend a couple of hours on something only to find out that it was caused by a mod. Would YOU want someone to lie to YOU about something to get YOUR help?
If your local dealer is the kind that thinks that any mod is a reason for warranty restriction, get a different one. You reap what you sow. Lieing to them would only slow the process and cost YOU and the dealer more time and money.

Mark, if you work for a dealer and you are promoting lieing to the dealer then shame on you.
I understand what you are saying, but there are dealerships out there that will just void his warranty! You know that working for a dealership!

Im not suggesting that he lie, but he has made modifications that COULD be reason for them to void that part being covered under warranty. Knowing about 200 members of the evolutionm.net community that have complained about this and knowing that there are dealerships out there that do not understand this community I am only suggesting that he be careful before he takes his vehicle in!

By the way are you in sales or service?

Best regards,
Old Dec 6, 2005, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

I had the same issues with my factory advans on the front. dead at 5k, but just on the inner 2" of tread. their inital response was one that I didn't rotate the tires soon enough. I showed them that the manual states 5k. they threw it on the rack and it showed that the front was WAY out of alignment. they think that it happened on the boat ride over. that the car had been tightened down too far and with the movement of the boat, threw the alignment out.(not buying it but they bought into it )
after talking to the service manager, he made some calls and 3 weeks later, I had 2 new advans for the front. the rears were within 1-2/64 of being new. no reason to replace them.
the dealership here has been somewhat cool about mods, until you replace downpipes or cams. then they void, but exhausts, intakes,mbc and the such seem to be ok.
that has been my experience, but others I have read have had issues with the advans and have been told sorry.....

good luck
Old Dec 6, 2005, 09:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GootBoost
I would fix it myself with those mods, its not worth the risk of voiding your warrenty. Unless you find a mod friendly dealer.
Originally Posted by Mark Sebby
they will void that fuel pump...

1.) its aftermarket
2.) you didnt have installed by a "professional mechanic"

BTW I work for a Mitsu Dealership! Fix this stuff yourself! Or dont tell them about your mods!

Thanks,
+1
Old Dec 6, 2005, 09:43 AM
j8
Evolving Member

Sorry to hear about your bad luck so far with the car. With the mods you have you may have a hard time finding a dealship that is willing to cover warranty items. By the way can you see where you are leaking oil from?
Old Dec 6, 2005, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jesterEVO
hahah first dealer i call says they would get the rep involved with my car
Told you!

Unlike lancerdealer thinks, or assumes (and we all know what assuming will get you) they will most likely void the fuel pump!

Now for the oil leak and the tires, take it in! You need to know that they will notice the sensor light on and Im not telling you to lie about it, but I am telling you that it will get voided because its aftermarket and you didnt have it professionally installed.

By the way lancerdealer, 1.) you should read into things a little more before you just assume that I am suggesting that he lie. I told him not to tell the dealer about his mods (fuel pump). I didnt say anything about the oil leak (which is an OEM defect) and probably on TSB with Mitsu Service or his tires which is probably another OEM defect or TSB. He took the risk of voiding the warranty on his fuel pump by personally installing it and using an aftermarket product. That is his bad.

2.) If you search this forum you will find numerous people who have made one or two minor mods and it has costed them their entire warranty due to some dealerships service advisors and or Mitsubishi reps. Thus further destroying Mitsubishi's relationship with the North American market.

3.) I stand behind Mitsubishi 100% and think that it is the best product available. I dont agree 100% with some of the previous decisions that have been made regarding Evolution owners their cars and their warranties.

4.) Take some time and search this forum. Some of the complaints are bogus and the customer caused (abused the car) the warranty to be voided, but there are many that are questionable and leave the dealers looking like they dropped them in the grease for no reason.

5.) Search, Search, Search!

6.) Take some time to rebuild our relationship with this community and insist that your dealership help these customers out!

That is the bottom line!

Best regards,
Old Dec 6, 2005, 11:41 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mark Sebby
Told you!

Unlike lancerdealer thinks, or assumes (and we all know what assuming will get you) they will most likely void the fuel pump!

Now for the oil leak and the tires, take it in! You need to know that they will notice the sensor light on and Im not telling you to lie about it, but I am telling you that it will get voided because its aftermarket and you didnt have it professionally installed.

By the way lancerdealer, 1.) you should read into things a little more before you just assume that I am suggesting that he lie. I told him not to tell the dealer about his mods (fuel pump). I didnt say anything about the oil leak (which is an OEM defect) and probably on TSB with Mitsu Service or his tires which is probably another OEM defect or TSB. He took the risk of voiding the warranty on his fuel pump by personally installing it and using an aftermarket product. That is his bad.

2.) If you search this forum you will find numerous people who have made one or two minor mods and it has costed them their entire warranty due to some dealerships service advisors and or Mitsubishi reps. Thus further destroying Mitsubishi's relationship with the North American market.

3.) I stand behind Mitsubishi 100% and think that it is the best product available. I dont agree 100% with some of the previous decisions that have been made regarding Evolution owners their cars and their warranties.

4.) Take some time and search this forum. Some of the complaints are bogus and the customer caused (abused the car) the warranty to be voided, but there are many that are questionable and leave the dealers looking like they dropped them in the grease for no reason.

5.) Search, Search, Search!

6.) Take some time to rebuild our relationship with this community and insist that your dealership help these customers out!

That is the bottom line!

Best regards,
I'm sorry that I did not realize that I needed to wait for you, after your 2 months of being a member, to tell me how to use the search feature. There was no reason to search in order to try to respond to a post.

I didn't assume anything. I know that if the problem was caused by a mod that they CAN restrict the warranty. I never said they would or would not. I said be honest. Back to find a mod friendly dealer.

Apparently I misunderstood it when when you said don't tell them about the fuel pump mod, or was it just mods? You did not specify.

You must have missed the part about find a dealer that is mod friendly.

There is no need to search the forum to find people that have had there mods cause problems with warranty. I know there are. Bad dealers giving bad advice and or flexing their muscles. Back to find a dealer that is mod friendly.

I don't agree with those dealers and their decisions either. We are a mod friendly dealer, but if the customer does not tell us about a mod and we spend a few hours diagnosing a problem only to find out that a mod caused the problem, then you as a customer is going to be hit with the time/$$$ spent getting to that point only to find that warranty does not cover the problem. You as a customer says, "I'm not going to pay for that, that should be warranty" and my technician says" how do get paid for the few hours I've spent on that job?" then nobody wins.

If the customer says here is what I've modified, then everybody is on the same page and nobody gets surprised. Mod friendly dealer sounding familiar yet? A mod friendly dealer would say, with the information the customer gives them, "Before we start, if the mod has caused the problem then you will be on the hook for the diagnosis" The customer then has a choice, much like the one they made when doing the mod, to have them proceed or not.

You see, a mod friendly dealer wants to do the work for free first thing out. If the car is under warranty and the failure is a defect then MMNA will pay us for the work.

I'm finished.

For the record, I'm currently the Parts Dept manager 2 years + and have 7 years + as a service advisor and all with MMNA. I work for a dealer and I'm an owner of a second Mitsu. I back them 100% and I believe that the bad decisions of a few have made a lot of people both here and elsewhere come to despise MMNA. That is wrong. The dealer that was out of line when getting the process started to restrict a warranty just to be "all that" is the guy to point fingers at. There are legitimate reasons to restrict a warranty.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 11:50 AM
Evolving Member

change it back to stock

Thats the only way
Old Dec 6, 2005, 11:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancerdealer
I'm sorry that I did not realize that I needed to wait for you, after your 2 months of being a member, to tell me how to use the search feature. There was no reason to search in order to try to respond to a post.

I didn't assume anything. I know that if the problem was caused by a mod that they CAN restrict the warranty. I never said they would or would not. I said be honest. Back to find a mod friendly dealer.

Apparently I misunderstood it when when you said don't tell them about the fuel pump mod, or was it just mods? You did not specify.

You must have missed the part about find a dealer that is mod friendly.

There is no need to search the forum to find people that have had there mods cause problems with warranty. I know there are. Bad dealers giving bad advice and or flexing their muscles. Back to find a dealer that is mod friendly.

I don't agree with those dealers and their decisions either. We are a mod friendly dealer, but if the customer does not tell us about a mod and we spend a few hours diagnosing a problem only to find out that a mod caused the problem, then you as a customer is going to be hit with the time/$$$ spent getting to that point only to find that warranty does not cover the problem. You as a customer says, "I'm not going to pay for that, that should be warranty" and my technician says" how do get paid for the few hours I've spent on that job?" then nobody wins.

If the customer says here is what I've modified, then everybody is on the same page and nobody gets surprised. Mod friendly dealer sounding familiar yet? A mod friendly dealer would say, with the information the customer gives them, "Before we start, if the mod has caused the problem then you will be on the hook for the diagnosis" The customer then has a choice, much like the one they made when doing the mod, to have them proceed or not.

You see, a mod friendly dealer wants to do the work for free first thing out. If the car is under warranty and the failure is a defect then MMNA will pay us for the work.

I'm finished.

For the record, I'm currently the Parts Dept manager 2 years + and have 7 years + as a service advisor and all with MMNA. I work for a dealer and I'm an owner of a second Mitsu. I back them 100% and I believe that the bad decisions of a few have made a lot of people both here and elsewhere come to despise MMNA. That is wrong. The dealer that was out of line when getting the process started to restrict a warranty just to be "all that" is the guy to point fingers at. There are legitimate reasons to restrict a warranty.
So you are not on the darkside!~ I applaud your efforts and therefore would recommend you to any of these guys. Plus you have the experience (all with Mitsu I assume) to back it up! Guys.... give him a chance!

I hope you understand where I am coming from as well.. this wasnt meant for an arguement... just a test on your position!

Welcome to evolutionm.net! WE are glad to have you!

Best regards,
Old Dec 6, 2005, 11:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by EVO_JOE
change it back to stock

Thats the only way
Your a salesman also right evo-joe?
Old Dec 6, 2005, 05:00 PM
Evolved Member

i will take a picture of the oil leak tomorrow if i can...i am also going to take the ecu out and check pin 77 for damage...anyone know how to get to the temp sensor in the back...its not visiable by taking the seat out...
Old Dec 6, 2005, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jesterEVO
i will take a picture of the oil leak tomorrow if i can..
no need to , just say
"the banjo bolt is leaking from the crush washers on the oil housing line to/from the oil cooler "

Last edited by matt55; Dec 6, 2005 at 05:11 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 05:48 PM
Evolved Member

You have to realize that with the mods you have they can void some of your warranty if not all, it all depends on the dealer. So just be aware that taking it in their will be a chance of them giving you a hard time.