Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

3 problems should i contact a dealer?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2005, 06:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 problems should i contact a dealer?

1. front end alignment chewed up my front tires inside tread. Car has 6k miles.
2. Near the Oil filter "not the oil filter" is driping oil very slowly
3. Fuel temp sensor is throwing a SES light. Checked with a laptop

Now if i go i am going to catch hell with my mods. Is this worth it or should i fix these problems on my own with local shops. These should be all covered with warranty unless the fuel temp sensor light was caused by my fuel pump. But the evo manual says the sensor is not near the fuel pump and another cause could be in the ecu. You guys think i should take it and have to worry about talking to an area rep cause i know that what they are going to have me do...
Old Dec 5, 2005, 06:09 PM
Evolving Member

I would fix it myself with those mods, its not worth the risk of voiding your warrenty. Unless you find a mod friendly dealer.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 06:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jesterEVO
1. front end alignment chewed up my front tires inside tread. Car has 6k miles.
2. Near the Oil filter "not the oil filter" is driping oil very slowly
3. Fuel temp sensor is throwing a SES light. Checked with a laptop

Now if i go i am going to catch hell with my mods. Is this worth it or should i fix these problems on my own with local shops. These should be all covered with warranty unless the fuel temp sensor light was caused by my fuel pump. But the evo manual says the sensor is not near the fuel pump and another cause could be in the ecu. You guys think i should take it and have to worry about talking to an area rep cause i know that what they are going to have me do...
Wow! 6k miles and all of this. I bet they blame it on your mods! Did you put an aftermarket fuel pump in yourself (if not take it back to whoever did the work).

As for tires WOW never heard of that problem!

Any mods on your oil line?
Old Dec 5, 2005, 06:14 PM
Evolving Member

Worst thing that will happen is that they say no and void ur warranty. Its not like later down the line ur warranty isnt going to be voided anywayz. If ur manifold were to crack and u take it in to the dealership they would still say no and void ur warranty. Some dealerships dont trip about it tho. I have intake and upper IC with HKS BOV (Clearly Visible) and MBC. They didnt void my warranty when i took my car in to get my transfer case fixed. There was a oil leak on my TC. They gave me a rental for 5 days and fixed my TC.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 06:23 PM
Evolving Member

The front tires are chewed up (worn) on the inside from the negative camber setting from the factory. The wheels are cambered like this for better contact patch while in aggressive turns. I think the book says to rotate @ 5k miles or something. If you drive REAL aggressive (like I do) you will need to rotate at 3500 miles or so. The tire wear is real bad on the factory tires ... but I dont mind because of the awesome handling they provide. ( Softer wears faster always)
Old Dec 5, 2005, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

well i rotated at 5k. The problem existed before it. So the oil driping isnt a huge problem but an annoying one as it is driping on my garage floor..it probably leaks a quart every month or 2. So very slowly. I had a buddy install the fuel pump for me. I checked it today and didnt see any damage to the top of the pump. Now the manual says the ecu could be at fault. Maybe we missed connecting it back to the ecu? I dont know.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 06:39 PM
Evolved Member

but shouldnt a dealership fix the camber if you are under 12k miles and its causing tire wear like that. I was totally un aware of this issue
Old Dec 5, 2005, 06:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by jesterEVO
well i rotated at 5k. The problem existed before it. So the oil driping isnt a huge problem but an annoying one as it is driping on my garage floor..it probably leaks a quart every month or 2. So very slowly. I had a buddy install the fuel pump for me. I checked it today and didnt see any damage to the top of the pump. Now the manual says the ecu could be at fault. Maybe we missed connecting it back to the ecu? I dont know.
they will void that fuel pump...

1.) its aftermarket
2.) you didnt have installed by a "professional mechanic"

BTW I work for a Mitsu Dealership! Fix this stuff yourself! Or dont tell them about your mods!

Thanks,
Old Dec 5, 2005, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

True...everything is covered under 12K. Stock, though. Like mentioned above, if you can find a reasonable dealer, you shouldn't have a problem. By reasonable I mean one that realizes that tire wear has nothing to do with your mods. You're taking a chance on the other issues.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 06:49 PM
Evolved Member

reason i raise the question is because i have no clue on how to fix the fuel temp sensor....the oil leak thing is a oem defect because i never once touched it..plus now i have to get new tires soon because the cars camber is screwed from the onset?
Old Dec 5, 2005, 07:55 PM
Evolved Member

well i guess the fuel temp error isnt that big of a deal cause its not causing any power loss and its just a SES light error...tires i can live with..now the oil i guess i can get a local shop to fix
Old Dec 6, 2005, 07:49 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mark Sebby
they will void that fuel pump...

1.) its aftermarket
2.) you didnt have installed by a "professional mechanic"

BTW I work for a Mitsu Dealership! Fix this stuff yourself! Or dont tell them about your mods!

Thanks,
I also work for a dealership and I would recommend giving them a chance to do it and be HONEST with your dealer and they will be more likely to help you than if they spend a couple of hours on something only to find out that it was caused by a mod. Would YOU want someone to lie to YOU about something to get YOUR help?
If your local dealer is the kind that thinks that any mod is a reason for warranty restriction, get a different one. You reap what you sow. Lieing to them would only slow the process and cost YOU and the dealer more time and money.

Mark, if you work for a dealer and you are promoting lieing to the dealer then shame on you.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 07:55 AM
Evolved Member

might call before i come in lol
Old Dec 6, 2005, 08:02 AM
Evolved Member

The fuel temp sensor was probably damaged during the fuel pump install.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 08:16 AM
Evolved Member

hahah first dealer i call says they would get the rep involved with my car

Quick Reply: 3 problems should i contact a dealer?