Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Dealer charge for accessories?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2003, 09:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer charge for accessories?

on the mitsu website it lists the sports meter kit as $464.

my local dealer wants to charge me $675 !! WTF

anyone else getting markups on accessories?

-d
Old Mar 21, 2003, 09:34 AM
Evolved Member

Are you sure thats a mark up and not the Installation cost? Though $200 for installation even seems steep.

SC~
Old Mar 21, 2003, 09:34 AM
Evolving Member

Re: Dealer charge for accessories?

Originally posted by laxEVO
on the mitsu website it lists the sports meter kit as $464.

my local dealer wants to charge me $675 !! WTF

anyone else getting markups on accessories?

-d
Pricing on Mitsucars.com does not include installation, only the price of the part itself. Even says so right at the top of the list if you were paying attention, and in big print too:

"Please note that the *MSRP does not include installation cost."
Old Mar 21, 2003, 09:40 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Get the kit only.. Read the instructions before you let anyone install.. $200 for installation of a "Plug in" device is just a waste... If it requires you to hard-wire anything or its a little complex to install from looking at it, then you can get the dealer to do it. Just so you know, the dealer usually can charge from $65 to $85 an hour labor.. so if it takes 3 hours, $200 install isn't unreasonable.. But if its just a plug and play thing.. Then do it yourself.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

$675 for the part installed at the dealership
$464 for the part minus install fees.

The install then costs $211?

If the Techs time is charged at $52.75 an hour, the dealership is pricing like the gauge install will take 4 hours. I doubt it even take a solid hour to do the install. It seems to be a plug and play affair, judging by the pics that were posted a few weeks ago.

SC~

Last edited by Secret Chimp; Mar 21, 2003 at 09:50 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 09:52 AM
Evolving Member

Originally posted by Secret Chimp
$675 for the part installed at the dealership
$464 for the part minus install fees.

The install then costs $211?

If the Techs time is charged at $52.75 an hour, the dealership is pricing like the gauge install will take 4 hours. I doubt it even take a solid hour to do the install.

SC~
$464 is the retail for the part which of course includes some profit for the Parts Department. Installation rates are typically more like $80 an hour these days and of course service won't just do it at cost, the Service Department has to make some money on the work too. Finally, the Sales Department isn't going to go to the trouble of up-selling the accessory without making a small profit on it as well. Each department within the dealership is its own separate entity with its own budget that it is responsible for after all.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:07 AM

alright - here is the deal

just got off the phone with dealer:

FYI

price was marked up - but i *****ed and got it knocked down.
(i paid 3k over msrp for my car and flat out said forget the kit if there is any dealer charge)

price for kit: $487

install kit: $76 (not mentioned on mitsu website)

install time: 2 hours at $74/hr

total damage: = $711

warranty included if mitsu does install - not included if they don't.

make your own decision.

-d
Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:27 AM
Evolving Member

Nope...not installed. Not at that price!!
Old Mar 21, 2003, 11:31 AM
Evolved Member

I ordered the sports meter kit and the dealer charged me $348.

I then changed my mind when I found out the only cubby hole in the car would be lost with it.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 11:39 AM
Evolved Member

After looking around for the last fews day at dealers in the Minneapolis area, I'm noticing that most dealers are carrying some mark-up on the accessories. Most of what I've seen hasn't been too bad though. The one exception is a dealership that someone had already submitted to overcharging list.

One dealer I talked with was refusing to sell cars without the Pit Pass maintenance agreement. After asking him a few questions about it I learned that that agreement is both non-transferable if you sell the car, and non-transferable between dealerships. If you buy the agreement it appears to only be useable by you at your specific dealership.

Another tactic I am seeing is dealers use is: "They're being sent to us this way; nothing we can do about it...". I don't know enough about how the cars are being distributed to know if there is any truth in that or not.

I was able to have a dealer write up an order for the Evo I want without any accessories at the MSRP I was able to research at www.cars.com. The only exception was the wing; it looks like cars.com has that wrong because every factory sticker I've seen lists it as a charge item but cars.com lists it as included.

Looks like I'll be getting my new Evo about the end of May .

Last edited by erioshi; Mar 21, 2003 at 11:45 AM.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 01:29 PM
Evolved Member

You do not have to buy a pitpass to buy an Evo.

If you buy a pit pass, it is redeemable for a servicing at any Evo certified dealership.

The only accessories fitted at the factory are the wing and the sunroof....all other accessories are dealership fitted. You do not have to buy a car with accessories you do not want.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 09:30 PM
RaX
Evolved Member

Originally posted by erioshi

Looks like I'll be getting my new Evo about the end of May .
Cool! I'll be seeing you around hopefully, and trigeek37 too.

What dealer did you go with?
Old Mar 21, 2003, 09:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally posted by silvrevo
I ordered the sports meter kit and the dealer charged me $348.

I then changed my mind when I found out the only cubby hole in the car would be lost with it.
Thats an excellent price on that meter kit. Not sure that even at that price that its the best gauge solution, so maybe better that you didn't get it after all. The RMR single CF steering wheel column mounted pod looks like a pretty nice option for a simple boost gauge.

BTW- I went down the accessory list with my dealership two days ago, and their list price (not including installation) was in line with the pricing on the Mitsubishi web site. Anyone that buys a car from the dealership is given Diamond Star status and also receives an additional 15% off of the list price of the parts.

Owners paying more(just the part price only not including installation) than the prices listed on the Mitsubishi web site are probably getting ripped-off by unscrupulus dealers marking things up to get that last extra penny out of the EVO enthusiast.

My dealership did mention that any part purchased from Mitsubishi would receive a 12 mo/12K miles warranty, and if installed by the dealership would assume the full remaining warranty of the vehicle.

Last edited by N10S; Mar 21, 2003 at 09:59 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2003, 10:47 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
yeah i picked up the hyper ground system kit and front air dams from my dealer today for 20% off msrp, am curious if anyone has done an install of the front air dams today, going to have to tap 3 holes in left and right sides of front bumper cover, don't feel good about doing it myself but the damn dealership, as nice as they are to me with pricing for the most part, wants $130 for install
Old Mar 22, 2003, 01:10 AM
Evolved Member

Hi RaX,

I ordered my car from Kline Mitsubishi in Maplewood; they're on the MSRP list. I'd really enjoy getting together with you and trigeek37 sometime.