Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

downpipe making creaking noises?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2005, 08:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
downpipe making creaking noises?

does your downpipe make any creaking noises when the engine is cold or when the rpm dips below 800rpm which causes the engine to vibrate more? I think its the spring thats making the noise where the downpipe is connected to.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 08:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What downpipe are you using? How long has it been on the car?

I put a used generic downpipe on mine a few months ago, it came with a hks carbon/ti I bought used. Turned out it was touching my oil pan. Not good. It was rubbing on the pan causing a creak sound sometimes. You might want to check your clearances. I switched to a turboxs dp, correct fit.
Old Dec 5, 2005, 08:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by silverlining
What downpipe are you using? How long has it been on the car?

I put a used generic downpipe on mine a few months ago, it came with a hks carbon/ti I bought used. Turned out it was touching my oil pan. Not good. It was rubbing on the pan causing a creak sound sometimes. You might want to check your clearances. I switched to a turboxs dp, correct fit.
I have Invidia DP and never had a problem until now. Had the dp for about 6k miles so far. My downpipe is wrapped with the heat thingy so i know that sound cant be the dp rubbing the oil pan. The sound is exactly like a old rusted spring when it creaks when you bend it. kinda like those animal spring rides you see at the park with a huge spring supporting it and makes that creaking noise when rocking back and forth Ill jack up the car and take a look next time.. its funny that it only happens in the morning on the way to work...at night time the sound is gone
Old Dec 5, 2005, 08:52 PM
Account Disabled

Many DP's have fitment issues

After analyzing the existing aftermarket DP's on the market, we found most had poor fitment issues, questionable weld quality and did not maximize to a true 76mm system.
Because of this situation, we decided to produce the only DP that fits perfectly, looks great and is a proper 3 inch system-
The WORKS 76mm DP comes w/ a stamped flange and gusseted hangers so the fitment is just like Mitsubishi's. Our engineers designed the system to match perfectly to the stock system and meet our standard of "OEM or better.

http://www.worksevo.com/store/produc...products_id=93

-the choice of Cyber-Evo and Evo engineers worldwide!
Old Dec 5, 2005, 10:14 PM

I was thinking maybe your downpipe is expanding against your heat wrap causing the sound. I assume you have a that cloth looking heat wrap.