Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

high flow cat vs test pipe

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2005, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right, you are more likely to get pulled over for a loud exhaust. Problem is, a curious cop who has pulled your butt over for loud exhaust *might* check to see if you're running a cat.. it's not likely to happen because most cops don't want to get on the ground and check imho.. problem is, the fine for not running a cat is usually pretty severe in most states; like up to $2000 or more, so there's always that risk.
Old Dec 9, 2005, 10:28 AM
Evolved Member

has anyone runnign catless ever got charged or arrested on here??
Old Dec 20, 2005, 11:51 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Depending on which HFC you get, the whp diff from a test pipe is prob around 7-10whp. Anyhow, I am not sure if its worth it to risk getting an expensive ticket over a few whp but thats totally up to you. The Helix cat we sell flows very close to a test pipe with very good gain. With the Helix HFC, you can at least say you have a cat and not having to worry about cops smelling the fumes a mile away.

Thanks,
Tom
Old Dec 20, 2005, 12:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by J8dailo
has anyone runnign catless ever got charged or arrested on here??

I had a catless turboback on my wrx for 2 years and haven't had any trouble from cops for it..but cops did tend to give me more attention when i had the silencer out. You'l be fine
Old Dec 22, 2005, 08:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by honda-guy
please do the environment a favor and just get a HFC and keep the test pipe for track day. 10 hp is not that noticeable on the street and you can always make up that 10 hp with some other mods.
whatta dumb statement... what difference does it make to the environment if you run a test pipe on a track or on regular roads? none!!
Old Dec 22, 2005, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by alloyic_rs
whatta dumb statement... what difference does it make to the environment if you run a test pipe on a track or on regular roads? none!!
It is not a dumb statement at all. I go to the track once a month and I have an open exhaust on my race car. I put approx 2K miles per year on the race car. On my EVO daily driver I put approx 10K miles per year. It will make a big difference if I ran those 10K miles on the road w/o a cat on the EVO. Rather than pollute for 2K miles only I will be polluting 5 times as much if I ran my EVO catless.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 04:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by alloyic_rs
why is it a dumb statement? most people don't have an all out race car, they have daily driver which they take to the track several times a year. i put around 10k-15k miles on my car a year and probably hit the strip 2-3 a year which means i probably spend about 20 miles on the track a year. you don't think there's a difference between running catless for 15k miles vs. 20 miles, just to save the 10 minutes it takes you to switch over to a test pipe. i'll make up the 10 hp some where else.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 04:51 AM
Evolved Member

If you are that concerned about emissions, try lobbying the slack *** government about all the crap industry puts into the air

A few people running catless is causing zero harm to the planet. Granted, if lots of people were doing it that would be a different story, but it is only a very small number of drivers who mod cars, in comparison to the total number of cars.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by bigfishs
If you are that concerned about emissions, try lobbying the slack *** government about all the crap industry puts into the air

A few people running catless is causing zero harm to the planet. Granted, if lots of people were doing it that would be a different story, but it is only a very small number of drivers who mod cars, in comparison to the total number of cars.
i'm sorry, i just don't have the same mentality as you do. what's wrong is wrong. killing one person is as bad as killing 1000 people. just imagine if every member on this forum have the same mentality as you do and we all run catless and every member on every other auto forum run catless, how many cars would be on the road with out a cat.

i'm not a total tree hugging freak but i try to do my part, i try to recycle when ever i can.

btw, this is getting off topic.

Last edited by honda-guy; Dec 23, 2005 at 05:32 AM.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 03:13 PM
Evolving Member

You listen to EPA propaganda way too much. Btw I've ran catless on 2 cars in the past and my 87 Turbo Rx-7 even passed without the air pump or cat on the car and thats a smog test no check to see if the light is on. Cops are stupid when it comes to emissions unless they are actually car guys themselves, they'll never know the cat is missing. Like I said before when my rx-7 was emission tested and they did the "check under the car with a mirror deal" the guy saw the resonator and thought it was a cat. If you know anything about rotarys you'll know they put out even more emissions than a piston motor this is a testament that these newer cars(Post 70's) are way more efficient machines than early muscle cars that caused emissions crisis. I believe I read that the standard (post 2000) cars put out 45 times less emissions than cars of the 70's and older.

I also care about the enviroment but I am knowledgable about this stuff and realize what are the real threats to the enviroment not a couple peopel runnign catless.

Last edited by WillEatUrSTi; Dec 23, 2005 at 03:19 PM.
Old Dec 23, 2005, 03:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Boosted Josh
Bikes don't have cats. Not at the moment anyway, I'm sure that its comming.
My 04 r1 has a cat. The newer bikes such as the new R6 even have O2 sensors
Old Dec 23, 2005, 03:26 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by J8dailo
i know chicago isn't that strict but running catless can have a severe punishment... chicago don't have smog testing on the spot do they?
No they dont. New cars dont get tested every year its like every 2 or 3 years. All they do is plug into the obd connector and look for codes. If no codes you pass