Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX STOCK dyno'd at Topspeed with VID

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2005, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coco
I cant watch the boost gauge closely, becasue I am looking at the road flying by, but it does boost around the same time at like 3000rpm and maxes out at 3500rpm. My car then stays at 20psi all the way to redline, myabe goes down 1-2 psi, cant really tell cause am concentrating on the road.
ditto, mine drops to 18 pretty quick, but holds to redline
Old Dec 6, 2005, 11:45 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by an0ther
ditto, mine drops to 18 pretty quick, but holds to redline
Yup, mine drops to......... hey wait, I dont have one yet! But much respect to you for the great dyno numbers.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

ty, i just recorded my dyno pull on my bf gauge and watched it. Hits 1.5 bar quickly and has a quick dip in boost but then holds pretty good to redline.
Originally Posted by NoTec
Yup, mine drops to......... hey wait, I dont have one yet! But much respect to you for the great dyno numbers.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:07 PM

That was very encouraging to see. I'm after one in January, so it is nice to see hard #s on this thing. = )
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

For sure, will be a nice replacement for the STi, I will miss my STi though . Ah well, life goes on.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:26 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by an0ther
mobil1 has detergents for an engine that are really not needed in breakin. This is all imo though remember that, not trying to start argument over breakin, but if you drain that out and put in mineral oil or some cheap oil with no detergents it supposedly makes rings seat better. I have many friends that have done this so I decided to try it this time.
Congratulations! You just voided your warranty on oil lubricated parts!

J/K... great numbers.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:40 PM
Evolving Member

I thought at the flywheel the IX was rated 286hp, how is it possible to get 270 at the wheels stock? I don't think this is possible

Last edited by glomeli; Dec 6, 2005 at 12:45 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:43 PM
Evolved Member

Iam gonna by dynoing my IX next week, and i basically drove that thing like the cops were after me from day one. So we will see the #s then. Lol
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by glomeli
I thought at the flywheel the IX was rated 286hp, how is it possible to get 280 at the wheels stock? I don't think this is possible
Because the published flywheel numbers are nothing but numbers on a page. They aren't actually measured. What you see on the dyno are actual, real-live results, not Mitsu rhetoric.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:50 PM
Evolved Member

Curious? If the published flywheel numbers "are not actually measured." How do they obtain these figures? I am just curious.
Originally Posted by Warrtalon
Because the published flywheel numbers are nothing but numbers on a page. They aren't actually measured. What you see on the dyno are actual, real-live results, not Mitsu rhetoric.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 12:52 PM

Nice to see these EVOIXs putting down some great #s. Good thing I waited for it and didn't settle for an 05
Old Dec 6, 2005, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evoviiiyou
Curious? If the published flywheel numbers "are not actually measured." How do they obtain these figures? I am just curious.
Me too We should sue for false advertisement
Old Dec 6, 2005, 01:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by evoviiiyou
I couldn't tell you where they come up with the numbers. There are always different motivations for the numbers they publish. Examples:

- LS1 TA/Z28 in the early 2000's. They were listed at 305 or 315whp, but then dyno'd about as much as they were published to have at the flywheel. GM did this, because they couldn't feasibly advertise their TA/Z28s as having as much power as the Vette. That would have been bad for sales on the Vette.

- SRT-4s - When these came out, they were listed at 230hp or so? Well, when people started dyno'ing them, they were showing that much power AT THE WHEELS. Why did Dodge advertise the wheel HP instead of an estimated crank HP? I have no idea, and I don't know if it is public knowledge, but I know they responded to the questions by "raising" the published HP the next year even though power output wasn't changed.

- RX8 - Whoops, published 250HP, but dyno'd nowhere near what you would expect from a car with 250 crank HP. In response, Mazda lowered the published claim to 237HP and gave refunds of some sort to every RX8 owner

- '01 Cobra? - can't remember if it was 99, 00, or 01, but one of those Cobras was just like the RX-8. Ford claimed 305HP or something, but they were dyno'ing no higher than the same year's GTs. Cobra owners raged against the machine and ended up getting some sort of reparation from Ford.

I couldn't tell you why Mitsu rated the 05s at 276/286 (too low) or the 06s at 286/29X (way too low), but I CAN tell you that the numbers are underrated.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 01:25 PM
Evolving Member

There has to be some sort of measurement, that means they could post the numbers at 350 hp, or anything above or below 286. They have to have some sort of baseline measurement, not just pull some number out of their ***.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 01:29 PM

I am so jealous.....................damn!!!!!

Quick Reply: Evo IX STOCK dyno'd at Topspeed with VID