Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Evo IX STOCK dyno'd at Topspeed with VID

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evo IX STOCK dyno'd at Topspeed with VID

I am amazed at what this car did stock. I didn't think the numbers would be anything like this. To start off, this dyno is right on the money. My 04 VIII stock put down 217awhp and once I added TBE/Dynoflash/MBC @21psi it put down 284awhp. I decided on my IX that I would give it a really nice breakin. First day, I drained the oil and put in mineral oil. I drove the car for 500 miles without going above 3500 rpms. At 500 miles, I put back in mobil1 and drove easy for 400 more miles going into the higher revs very slowly upwards of 6000 rpms. At 900 miles, I started beating the crap out of it. A lot of you said that this was not needed on the evo and that you should break it in like you stole it. Car now has 1200 miles and I knew that this thing was quick and I thought it felt as fast as my old car. Totally stock EvoIX with slow breakin put down 270.48awhp and 265.34 torque. Remember that this is the SAME dyno my VIII put down 217 stock. That is a HUGE difference!! This would make the rated hp on the car a lot lower. I would highly suggest slow breakin for all the future evo owners and wish I would have done this on my VIII.

Click here to watch Evo-IX-Stock-Dyno-Run-TOPSPEED

Last edited by an0ther; Dec 6, 2005 at 12:02 PM.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:05 AM
Evolving Member

Boost spikes to 22.5 psi and tapers to 18psi by redline. These should be exact as I have the defi BF gauge and controller. I will be getting ecutek tune and doug says I will be over 300awhp with just a flash. Simply amazing car!!
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:07 AM
Evolved Member

good gawd!
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:07 AM
Evolving Member

Everything that I say could be potentially wrong, but I don't think that your 270.48awhp and 265.34 was totally depending on the slow break-in period alone. I mean it is a totally different car and it doesn't seem like you dynoed that Evo VIII on the same day either so with different conditions, it just doesn't seem like everything was dependent on the slow break-in period. I could be wrong about everything though, so don't listen to me.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:09 AM
Evolving Member

I'm not saying that is what made the #'s higher, but it couldnt hurt. It was 8 degrees warmer with my VIII on stock run so that could be a couple hp, but not 50
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dark Evo
Everything that I say could be potentially wrong, but I don't think that your 270.48awhp and 265.34 was totally depending on the slow break-in period alone. I mean it is a totally different car and it doesn't seem like you dynoed that Evo VIII on the same day either so with different conditions, it just doesn't seem like everything was dependent on the slow break-in period. I could be wrong about everything though, so don't listen to me.
In addition to the fact that other IXs have dyno'd this high on other Dynojets with no special break-in procedure. The method he followed obviously didn't HURT anything, but there's no evidence it helped anything either. These numbers are AWESOME, but they are in line with other examples we've seen.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

What is the mineral oil for?
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

mobil1 has detergents for an engine that are really not needed in breakin. This is all imo though remember that, not trying to start argument over breakin, but if you drain that out and put in mineral oil or some cheap oil with no detergents it supposedly makes rings seat better. I have many friends that have done this so I decided to try it this time.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

is the higher hp due to the larger turbo or the mivec or both? cuz i thought that the mivec was for the tq?
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

I would guess the bigger hot and cold side of turbo and different tuning, but don't quote me on that.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:19 AM
Evolved Member

nice numbers man
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Enyth
is the higher hp due to the larger turbo or the mivec or both? cuz i thought that the mivec was for the tq?
This has been discussed in several of the IX tuning threads. The larger turbo is responsible for the higher peak power, and the MIVEC is responsible for spooling this turbo even faster than the previous turbos. The MIVEC helps boost low-end torque and mid-range power, so even if you have a IX that dynos the same peak numbers as an VIII, it will have MUCH more area under the curve, because it's less peaky and more steady, which makes it MUCH more enjoyable to drive.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Warrtalon
This has been discussed in several of the IX tuning threads. The larger turbo is responsible for the higher peak power, and the MIVEC is responsible for spooling this turbo even faster than the previous turbos. The MIVEC helps boost low-end torque and mid-range power, so even if you have a IX that dynos the same peak numbers as an VIII, it will have MUCH more area under the curve, because it's less peaky and more steady, which makes it MUCH more enjoyable to drive.

I am loving it
Old Dec 6, 2005, 10:42 AM
Evolved Member

Thats awesome. When does boost kick in on the IX if it spools faster cuz my 05 starts around 2800 then really starts to pull at 3500.
Old Dec 6, 2005, 11:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by el producto
Thats awesome. When does boost kick in on the IX if it spools faster cuz my 05 starts around 2800 then really starts to pull at 3500.

I cant watch the boost gauge closely, becasue I am looking at the road flying by, but it does boost around the same time at like 3000rpm and maxes out at 3500rpm. My car then stays at 20psi all the way to redline, myabe goes down 1-2 psi, cant really tell cause am concentrating on the road.

Quick Reply: Evo IX STOCK dyno'd at Topspeed with VID