Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

New co-CEO for MMNA

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2005, 05:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MMNA -- Shake up at the top

Now that Mitsu Motors North America is an equity subsidiary of Mitsu Japan again, they appear to be putting their own man in charge of MMNA. I have no idea what that means for the company, just thought I would report it.

Press Release

The following document was released by Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc. Mitsubishi Motors to Add Harunari to North American Leadership

Cypress, Calif. (December 12, 2005) — Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) President Osamu Masuko today announced that Hiroshi Harunari will be appointed President and CEO of Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA), effective January 1, 2006, joining Rich Gilligan, who will continue as co-President and co-CEO, to lead the company. Mr. Harunari has been Managing Director of Overseas Operations for MMC since April 2005. Gilligan has led MMNA since January 2005 when he was promoted from Chief Operating Officer of the company's North American manufacturing division.

Mitsubishi Motors has assembled a North American management team of industry professionals that have developed and executed a product-led recovery strategy, including the successful launches of new models such as the Eclipse coupe, with four additional product launches over the next 20 months. "North America's extremely competitive and ever-changing automotive market environment requires MMC's direct support and management presence on the ground in North America," Masuko said.

"Success in North America — with all of its complexity and challenges — is essential to MMC's global success," Masuko said. "Mr. Gilligan and his team have put us on the road to regaining success here. By adding Mr. Harunari to our North American team, we are further focusing alignment between MMC and MMNA's strategic approaches, to ensure timely communication between MMC and MMNA, concerning not only sales and marketing, but also R&D and production operations, so that we can quickly and effectively meet the requirements of this dynamic marketplace."

"We are pleased that MMC is sending this clear message of their continued commitment to support MMNA's growth," Gilligan said. "I have worked closely with Mr. Harunari over the past several months and look forward to the opportunity to strengthen our partnership. His passion and vast international experience will be a tremendous addition to our efforts in North America."

Old Dec 12, 2005, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

Exclamation

To be dead honest, needs to put more focus on there other cars. If it's print, internet, tv... whateva the case may be the need to show consumers that they are more than just a bottom barrell company. They need to give the consumer what they want and soon, very soon. The press and public took highly well to the the eclipse concept, so needs to hit it's roots again and start back on that. The base lancer needs exterior update and a serious interior update, it needs to come with options that other companies like honda, toyota, nissan, mazda ect. throw in. the JDM lancer interior is such a perfect cabin piece, I wonder why mistu hasn't just thrown that in yet. The galant ralliart needs to drop soon ( I read spring 2006), that could really help out and make people think twice about a altima SE-R, legacy gt, mazdaspeed6 or even AV6 SE. They need to drop the JDM outlander in the states and get rid of the USDM version, the new JDM version is leagues better.

The fact that mitsu seems to be broke make this very hard for a seeable future. I understand isn't going anywhere anytime soon, but they need to step there game up, they should listen to the consumers who buy hondas, toyotas and nissans and one up them. Still, easier said than done,
Old Dec 12, 2005, 05:46 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
More like a babysitter at the top.
Old Dec 12, 2005, 05:55 PM
Evolving Member

I do not think Mitsubishi will "transfer" any of their cars in Japan to the States. It is just not the tradition where a same looking Japanese car or model appear in the States. They may want to do that and I am pretty sure they know the people in the States love their designs in the "JDM" style cars.

On the other hand, they probably should have re-organize their marketing strategies. I start seeing a lot more advertisments in public from Mit. (such as sport events, TV, and radio, etc...) Once they do enough impact, they should re-organize their selling strategies which most of us do not like their current "plan" when it comes to selling and honoring warranties on their cars.

I am not too sure if they sell well on the Evolutions as they intended, but from my understanding, whenever a Japanese car company tries to "transfer" their "JDM" style cars to the States, they lose money. One example I know very well is the Acura Integra Type R (ITR in short). They did pretty well on the sales, but every ITR that they make would be a lose to them in terms of labor and various other expenses. I am not sure why and what casued Honda/Acura lost money for bringing the ITR's to the States, but it was a fact as I learned long time ago. (Probably where they make the cars was the main factor)
Old Dec 12, 2005, 06:22 PM
Evolved Member

While it's not "tradition" (they did bring the evo and ralliart over, both which are JDM vehicles) they need to do it if it's gonna help them out of the red. MMNA os loosing more money than they are making. If nissan, toyota, honda and mazda can do it... mitsubishi should/can do it too.

Well, im not sure about the 97-98 and 2000-2001 ITR, I know honda would lose alot of money bringing over the current DC5 ITR because in japan the car goes for about 27k and unless your a true honda / ITR enthusiast most consumer would look towards a Evo RS, 350z, WRX or RX8. Plus that would cut into sales of the s2000 and somewhat of the new civic Si. Even thou it will never happen, I would love to see a USDM DC5 ITR.

The evo sells "good" here from what I heard, still (obviously) the laner, galant and eclipse sell better, but that's because of price and comfort. The evo is an enthusiast car and while mitsu probably brought the evo here to get them a bit out of financial trouble, they bank to hard on it and somewhat forgot there other vehicle line up. While the evo get's more lime light than the STi, the STi sells more but that's because subaru has step up the quality and nameplate. They rank higher than honda and toyota at one point too, crazy.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 08:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
New co-CEO for MMNA

Hopefully, this means a new stronger commitment to the US by MMC. This comes with news that Mitsubishi Heavy, Mitsubishi Corp., and Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi each upped their shares in Mitsubishi Motors to maintain their majority stake.

Mitsubishi names co-CEO for U.S. operations

By Kathy Jackson
Automotive News / December 12, 2005

LOS ANGELES -- Mitsubishi Motors Corp. has named Hiroshi Harunari as co-CEO of its U.S. operations, a position now held solely by Rich Gilligan.

Harunari is head of overseas operations, including the United States, a position to which he was named April 1.

Gilligan, 62, made the announcement to the staff in Cypress, Calif., at a meeting on Monday afternoon.

The dealer council was told by teleconference after the staff meeting.

"I think this is a good thing," says Chuck Barber, chairman of the Mitsubishi dealer council.

Barber says Harunari is close to Osamu Masuko, CEO of Mitsubishi Motors.

"So that gives you quick communication between the U.S. and Japan," Barber said. "I think it's a show of support for this market."

In a December interview with Automotive News, Masuko said the company needs to improve sales here.

He also said Mitsubishi has too many underperforming dealers in this country.

Gilligan, who headed Mitsubishi's manufacturing operations in Normal, Ill., became CEO of Mitsubishi Motors North America in January, after the departure of Finbarr O'Neill.

Mitsubishi's sales have risen in three of the last four months, but sales still were down 24.0 percent for the first 10 months of this year.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:17 AM
Evolving Member

Yes, defitnitely, Evo's and ITR's are both enthuasists' cars. Unless you know those cars well, regular people would not buy those cars at the price.

The success of Nissan and Toyota is mainly because of their production places. If I understand it correctly, both of their cars are being produced in the States (350z and other well known cars). They did not make them in Japan and ship over to the States like our Evo's and ITR's do.

It is another thing. Do they want and willing to pay the money to develop a factory to manufacturer those high performance Japanese cars? No one knows and I am sure they notice that, but just not willing to try.

In terms of price range, I am pretty sure now days, you can see old ladies driving a 350z. It is because of their price and also the appearance of the car and its heritage. Like Evo's and ITR's, their images are not great for a lot of people. We know that the ITR's are built for racing (still there are youngers out there who purchased the R and still "rice" them out). Same goes for the Evo's.

I guess it takes time for them to build their reputation.
Old Dec 13, 2005, 11:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Arithmetic
They need to drop the JDM outlander in the states and get rid of the USDM version, the new JDM version is leagues better.
The '07 Outlander will be the "JDM version."