Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

Got rearended this morning...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2005, 08:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Got rearended this morning...

Got rearended this morning Went to drop my daughter off at school, stopped to let her out and WHAMMO! It was quite a jolt, cars ended up about 2 feet apart. Kid is fine, I got a sore back. Car was in first gear, I had one foot on the clutch and another on brakes during the impact - fully stopped. No visible damage to the rear bumper other then a smudge, car that hit me busted up its front licence plate holder.

On further inspection, wheel splash guards may have torn loose from the bumper. Car had trouble starting about 3 hours later and threw an SES light (did not have a chance to check yet what it is), but started fine later in the day, - don't know if it is related... What kind of hidden damage should I be on the lookout for?

Any and all advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by vr430; Dec 15, 2005 at 09:15 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 08:21 PM
Evolved Member

sorry to hear you got hit
Old Dec 15, 2005, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
man...sorry to hear that....you should be fine...doubt the frame was bent ....how bad is your damage?
Old Dec 15, 2005, 08:24 PM
Evolving Member

that sucks.. i'm glad your daughter is ok tho

maybe some connection came lose from the impact?

scan the code first and find out what it is, it may give you better explanation than possible guesses.. hopefully you can get some money out of this.. but i hate people who do that because they don't pay attention hitting a parked car....
Old Dec 15, 2005, 08:27 PM
Evolved Member

I Was rear ended and the bumper was replaced no damage to the bumper except it was pulled downwards and the bumper wasn't meeting the taillightings perfectly.

Make sure your tail lights are also flush with your back because my back left one popped out an inch.

The insurance company estimated I think around $800 in damage which included parts, paint, labor.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad everyone is O.K

sorry to hear that happened

What if you had no crash bar, do you think it would have been more damage?
Old Dec 15, 2005, 08:37 PM

the impact could have pushed your muffler in and caused the whole exhaust to bend or something to come loose somewhere, maybe?
Old Dec 15, 2005, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MikeEvo8
the impact could have pushed your muffler in and caused the whole exhaust to bend or something to come loose somewhere, maybe?
I have a BR 3" exhaust and the thought did cross my mind. Unfortunately, it's been snowing/sleeting for the last couple of days so I am not able to get under the car. I contacted the other party's insurance and requested for the car to be looked over mechanically, not just cosmetically - we'll see what they say.

I sure did not need this hassle this close to the holiday season!
Old Dec 15, 2005, 09:06 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by talentsearch301
Glad everyone is O.K

sorry to hear that happened

What if you had no crash bar, do you think it would have been more damage?
Wont' know 'till the bumper is off and crash bar examined... It was quite a jolt and no visible damage - something had to absorb impact energy, however, and I hope it was indeed the crash bar and nothing more, the best possible outcome in this type of an accident. I am most concerned with suspension, possibly exhaust, and pray it is not the frame...
Old Dec 15, 2005, 09:31 PM
Evolving Member

look inside ur trunk RITE NOW. lift the carpet and inspect the metal trunk "floor" along the wall where the trunk opening is, the trunk floor is most likely crinkled up like aluminum foil, that's what absorbed the impact. if it's fine, u r very lucky! make sure u check for this so u get that damage quoted on the insurance estimate.
Old Dec 15, 2005, 09:39 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JoizeeX
look inside ur trunk RITE NOW. lift the carpet and inspect the metal trunk "floor" along the wall where the trunk opening is, the trunk floor is most likely crinkled up like aluminum foil, that's what absorbed the impact. if it's fine, u r very lucky! make sure u check for this so u get that damage quoted on the insurance estimate.
+1

I'll attest to that. When I got rearended, the car looked fine from the outside. But once we looked inside the trunk...just as described^^

Ended up being over $5K in damage. Starting problems and code may be due damage in the rear. Below the trunk floor (outside the car) there are some evap lines or something that go to the fuel tank. They pass through a "frame rail" type of support the runs along the bottom. The 'T' was cracked on my car and had to be replaced.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sorry to hear
Old Dec 16, 2005, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by JoizeeX
Just looked inside. Removed the carpet and the pressboard spare wheel cover. Blue floor itself looked fine, but on the inside of the back trunk wall, just below the carpet line, there is an aluminium color "insert", for lack of a better word, and it does look corrugated - up/down creases. Is that it? I took a picture but am having problems getting it off the camera. Will post it in a bit.

Thanks to all for your help and concern.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

I wouldn't be worried about damage inside the trunk mine was hard impact and you didnt say there was visible damage, but my bumper was pulled down and away from the trunk area and where the lights meet the sides it wasn't flush, the trunk didn't close well either but inside my trunk was fine.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by vr430
Got rearended this morning Went to drop my daughter off at school, stopped to let her out and WHAMMO! It was quite a jolt, cars ended up about 2 feet apart. Kid is fine, I got a sore back. Car was in first gear, I had one foot on the clutch and another on brakes during the impact - fully stopped. No visible damage to the rear bumper other then a smudge, car that hit me busted up its front licence plate holder.

On further inspection, wheel splash guards may have torn loose from the bumper. Car had trouble starting about 3 hours later and threw an SES light (did not have a chance to check yet what it is), but started fine later in the day, - don't know if it is related... What kind of hidden damage should I be on the lookout for?

Any and all advise is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Minimum $2500 damage.

Rear bumper cover is cracked, splash guards are torn lose, frame rails are buckled, trunk floor pan in bent. This is minimum. Evaporitive emissions equipment is probably damaged in some way needing replacement....

Mitusbishi uses the frame rails to absorb impact, they crumple like tissue paper.

Keith

Quick Reply: Got rearended this morning...