Notices
Evo General Discuss any generalized technical Evo related topics that may not fit into the other forums. Please do not post tech and rumor threads here.
Sponsored by: RavSpec - JDM Wheels Central

02 Housing install

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2005, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 Housing install

Yes I searched but everything I have read requires taking out the radiator and turbo out. If possible I would like to do this install without removing those parts is it possible? I read somewhere that it is but you cant get the proper torque on a couple of the bolts. Any info. w/ steps on this would be greatly appreciated.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 12:03 PM
Evolving Member

It can be done, i have done it before but i took so long and was such a pita that i now take out the radiator. No need to take the turbo out just the hotside to make it easier to do. Be very carefull though as to not damage the turbo fins.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 12:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you don't have to take out the radiator, i did mine with it on. makesure you remove all the heat shield stuff, and be carefull not to scratch our radiator when you remove the lower heat shield. also maksure you remove your o2 sensor on the o2 housing. Spray the crap out all the bolt with WD40, it makes l;ife much easier.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 12:16 PM
Evolving Member

thanks guys looks like i might give this a shot without going nuts taking parts off.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 12:20 PM
Evolving Member

Check out this thread by SuperHatch. Very good write up. Make sure to read to the end cuz there are some other good pointers.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...t=10.5+install
Old Dec 16, 2005, 01:13 PM
Evolved Member

Why not remove the radiator.. makes the workspace so much easier only about 3 min to remove.. also turbo can stay on.. only thing is that when I installed my o2housing caused my downpipe to now touch my dam crossmember because it is a little shorter than stock
Old Dec 16, 2005, 03:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Taking the radiator out is a good idea. Saves you from beating the crap out of the fins on it. It also doesn't add much time at all, and you get a coolant flush.

I would have to say splitting the turbo to get an o2 housing on seems like going around your *** to get to your elbow...not to mention opening yourself up for major issues when it doesn't go back together properly. Just pull the radiator, then drop the DP, remove the lines, then unbolt the manifold, and split the hotside and o2 on the workbech. Those bolts tend to be a real pain, so having the space to work on it off the car can be a real asset.

Cory
Old Dec 16, 2005, 03:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by AMSTuning.com
Taking the radiator out is a good idea. Saves you from beating the crap out of the fins on it. It also doesn't add much time at all, and you get a coolant flush.

I would have to say splitting the turbo to get an o2 housing on seems like going around your *** to get to your elbow...not to mention opening yourself up for major issues when it doesn't go back together properly. Just pull the radiator, then drop the DP, remove the lines, then unbolt the manifold, and split the hotside and o2 on the workbech. Those bolts tend to be a real pain, so having the space to work on it off the car can be a real asset.

Cory
Exactly what i was trying to say. Better safe then sorry. I would put some anti seize on also just incase you ever want to go back to the cast stock peice.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

be careful the guy who did my install ended up nailing himself in the face with the heat shield because of the rust.. ouch!.. huge fat lip!
Old Dec 16, 2005, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Removing the radiator is a good idea.

If you don't, getting to all the bolts/nuts on the hotside/02 housing joint might be the real problem. Definitely look at the thread that was given above.

use cardboard to protect the fin area - I wish I had

I did my hotside removal and install by just losening the top bolts on the radiator hangers and having someone pull back on the radiator for clearance.

I still only have two of the 4 screws of the heatshield back on. The left side one as you face it is a bear.

A short 02 socket (3 & 1/4 in length or less) is a BIG help. Like the other guy said SPRAY IT (a few times)

I disagree with pulling the HS to just replace an 02 housing. too risky for my taste.
Old Dec 16, 2005, 04:54 PM
Evolved Member

take your time. makesure you don't crack the freaking bolt. now it's the pain in the *** to drill it out
Old Dec 16, 2005, 05:16 PM
Evolved Member

Is all that work really worth it? How much of a gain will you actually see? If you're doing the 02 housing, shouldn't you do the headers too?
Old Dec 17, 2005, 07:48 AM
Evolving Member

Ya im almost thinking to just install the TBE without the 02 and wait till I do the manifold since Ill have everything apart at the same time. I guess I can deal a little while longer without the 02. Thanks for the info. guys much appreciated.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by EVOLOVE
Check out this thread by SuperHatch. Very good write up. Make sure to read to the end cuz there are some other good pointers.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...t=10.5+install
That is a very helpful write-up, actually gives me confidence to try myself when the time comes.
Old Dec 17, 2005, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 8ASTI
Ya im almost thinking to just install the TBE without the 02 and wait till I do the manifold since Ill have everything apart at the same time. I guess I can deal a little while longer without the 02.
now thats a good idea

Quick Reply: 02 Housing install